    will the program run or is it deprndent on the other C:drive for part of
    it's operation.?Will no programs,some programs or all programs run?
    Thanks for all help

    jsema, Dec 17, 2008

  2. jsema

    meerkat Guest

    "jsema" <> wrote in message
    news:Zid2l.6307$...
    >I have a 260GB usb external portable hdd & need to know if this will
    >work.
    > Download a program & when asked where to install choose F: (This is
    > drive F:) The program is installed but there is a lot of information
    > stored on drive C: so if I take this portable unit to another
    > computer & plug it in will the program run or is it deprndent on the
    > other C:drive for part of it's operation.?Will no programs,some
    > programs or all programs run?
    > Thanks for all help

    Portable programs, and no install programs Will work
    Any programs that, when you install them, write entries
    to the Registry Won`t work.
    Because the Registry entries the program uses will only
    be installed on your original OS.
    bw..

    meerkat, Dec 17, 2008

  3. jsema

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 14:34:07 -0600, "jsema" <>
    wrote:

    >I have a 260GB usb external portable hdd & need to know if this will work.
    >Download a program & when asked where to install choose F: (This is drive
    >F:) The program is installed but there is a lot of information stored on
    >drive C: so if I take this portable unit to another computer & plug it in
    >will the program run or is it deprndent on the other C:drive for part of
    >it's operation.?Will no programs,some programs or all programs run?
    >Thanks for all help

    Some programs may run, but that would be the exception, not the rule.

    Most programs, unless they are called 'portable' will modify your
    Windows registry, and obviously that change is on the machine you
    install the program to.

    Evan Platt, Dec 17, 2008
  4. jsema

    Norie Ozawa Guest

    Norie Ozawa, Dec 17, 2008
  5. Evan Platt <> wrote in message

    > On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 14:34:07 -0600, "jsema" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I have a 260GB usb external portable hdd & need to know if this will
    >> work. Download a program & when asked where to install choose F:
    >> (This is drive F:) The program is installed but there is a lot of
    >> information stored on drive C: so if I take this portable unit to
    >> another computer & plug it in will the program run or is it
    >> deprndent on the other C:drive for part of it's operation.?Will no
    >> programs,some programs or all programs run? Thanks for all help

    > Some programs may run, but that would be the exception, not the rule.
    >
    > Most programs, unless they are called 'portable' will modify your
    > Windows registry, and obviously that change is on the machine you
    > install the program to.
    >> Smoe programs may run, but that would be the exception, not the rule.
    >>> programs not be rule. the may but Smoe the that would run, exception,

    This cascade proudly b0rked by Keyser Söze.

    Yered Alexandrowitz, Dec 17, 2008
  6. jsema

    UPC Guest

    meerkat's answer is right

    UPC, Dec 18, 2008
  7. jsema

    meerkat Guest

    "UPC" <> wrote in message
    > meerkat's answer is right
    >

    > "jsema" <> schreef in bericht
    >>I have a 260GB usb external portable hdd & need to know if this will
    >>work.
    >> Download a program & when asked where to install choose F: (This is
    >> drive F:) The program is installed but there is a lot of information
    >> stored on drive C: so if I take this portable unit to another
    >> computer & plug it in will the program run or is it deprndent on the
    >> other C:drive for part of it's operation.?Will no programs,some
    >> programs or all programs run?
    >> Thanks for all help

    Thanks UPC.
    bw..