    Any recommendations? I noticed some enclosures only support up to 300gb (in
    the small print) but I don't know if this is true in general of all
    enclosures.
    JedMeister, May 19, 2005

  2. JedMeister

    phstpok Guest

    JedMeister wrote:
    > I just ordered a seagate 400gb ide harddrive.
    >
    > Rather than install this into the PC internally, I think it would be useful
    > to purchase a harddrive enclosure.
    >
    > Any recommendations? I noticed some enclosures only support up to 300gb (in
    > the small print) but I don't know if this is true in general of all
    > enclosures.

    Why would that be. The external enclosures don't have their own bios,
    Unless in your own bios there is some limit. What connection? usb?,
    firewire,?

    --

    http://phstpok.blog.co.uk/main/
    phstpok, May 19, 2005

  3. JedMeister

    CSE Guest

    On Thu, 19 May 2005 13:35:48 +1200, "JedMeister"
    <> wrote:

    >I just ordered a seagate 400gb ide harddrive.
    >
    >Rather than install this into the PC internally, I think it would be useful
    >to purchase a harddrive enclosure.
    >
    >Any recommendations? I noticed some enclosures only support up to 300gb (in
    >the small print) but I don't know if this is true in general of all
    >enclosures.

    You can't use a IDE drive externally..
    CSE, May 19, 2005
  4. JedMeister

    Chris Hope Guest

    CSE wrote:

    > On Thu, 19 May 2005 13:35:48 +1200, "JedMeister"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>I just ordered a seagate 400gb ide harddrive.
    >>
    >>Rather than install this into the PC internally, I think it would be
    >>useful to purchase a harddrive enclosure.
    >>
    >>Any recommendations? I noticed some enclosures only support up to
    >>300gb (in the small print) but I don't know if this is true in general
    >>of all enclosures.

    > You can't use a IDE drive externally..

    Yes you can, if you have an enclosure for it where they plug into either
    a USB or firewire port. I've done this myself with quite a few
    different IDE drives.

    Chris Hope, May 19, 2005
  5. JedMeister

    Richard Guest

    CSE wrote:

    > You can't use a IDE drive externally..

    Umm, USB to IDE? 1394 to IDE? Hell, even external sata to IDE boxes all exist,
    so what basis do you have for that statement?
    Richard, May 19, 2005
  6. JedMeister

    CSE Guest

    On Thu, 19 May 2005 14:00:02 +1200, Chris Hope <>
    wrote:

    >CSE wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 19 May 2005 13:35:48 +1200, "JedMeister"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I just ordered a seagate 400gb ide harddrive.
    >>>
    >>>Rather than install this into the PC internally, I think it would be
    >>>useful to purchase a harddrive enclosure.
    >>>
    >>>Any recommendations? I noticed some enclosures only support up to
    >>>300gb (in the small print) but I don't know if this is true in general
    >>>of all enclosures.

    >> You can't use a IDE drive externally..

    >Yes you can, if you have an enclosure for it where they plug into either
    >a USB or firewire port. I've done this myself with quite a few
    >different IDE drives.

    YOU BLODDY CAN"T don't you know how to READ..

    IDE has a Limited length of cable and it not a true buss.

    The Poster stated noting at all about USB etc..
    CSE, May 19, 2005
  7. JedMeister

    Chris Hope Guest

    CSE wrote:

    > On Thu, 19 May 2005 14:00:02 +1200, Chris Hope
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>CSE wrote:

    >>> You can't use a IDE drive externally..

    >>Yes you can, if you have an enclosure for it where they plug into
    >>either a USB or firewire port. I've done this myself with quite a few
    >>different IDE drives.

    > YOU BLODDY CAN"T don't you know how to READ..
    >
    > IDE has a Limited length of cable and it not a true buss.
    >
    > The Poster stated noting at all about USB etc..

    He did specify that it was an enclosure. Enclosures allow you to plug
    IDE drives into a computer externally. It's still an IDE *drive* you
    are plugging in via the enclosure.

    Chris Hope, May 19, 2005
  8. JedMeister

    thing Guest

    JedMeister wrote:
    > I just ordered a seagate 400gb ide harddrive.
    >
    > Rather than install this into the PC internally, I think it would be useful
    > to purchase a harddrive enclosure.
    >
    > Any recommendations? I noticed some enclosures only support up to 300gb (in
    > the small print) but I don't know if this is true in general of all
    > enclosures.

    I use the 3.5inch DSE case, at $153 it is USB and firewire 400 and has a
    cooling fan.

    If you want half way decent performance you need to go firewire,
    especially as a PCI firewire card is all of $35....also at DSE. The
    firewire end works in Linux, Win2k and Mac OSx.

    Capacity is not the limiting factor, look at the power usage of a 300gig
    drive and the 400 gig drive (probably the same) and make sure the
    external case can cope with a margin.

    regards

    thing
    thing, May 19, 2005
  9. JedMeister

    thing Guest

    CSE wrote:
    > On Thu, 19 May 2005 13:35:48 +1200, "JedMeister"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>I just ordered a seagate 400gb ide harddrive.
    >>
    >>Rather than install this into the PC internally, I think it would be useful
    >>to purchase a harddrive enclosure.
    >>
    >>Any recommendations? I noticed some enclosures only support up to 300gb (in
    >>the small print) but I don't know if this is true in general of all
    >>enclosures.
    >>

    > You can't use a IDE drive externally..

    Yes you can, sata for one, let alone USB and Firewire.

    regards

    Thing
    thing, May 19, 2005
  10. In article <>,
    CSE <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 19 May 2005 13:35:48 +1200, "JedMeister"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>I just ordered a seagate 400gb ide harddrive.
    >>
    >>Rather than install this into the PC internally, I think it would be useful
    >>to purchase a harddrive enclosure.
    >>
    >>Any recommendations? I noticed some enclosures only support up to 300gb (in
    >>the small print) but I don't know if this is true in general of all
    >>enclosures.

    >You can't use a IDE drive externally..

    By the way, SATA is a form of IDE that *can* be used externally.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 19, 2005
  11. In article <>,
    CSE <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 19 May 2005 14:00:02 +1200, Chris Hope <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>CSE wrote:

    >>> You can't use a IDE drive externally..

    >>Yes you can, if you have an enclosure for it where they plug into either
    >>a USB or firewire port. I've done this myself with quite a few
    >>different IDE drives.

    >YOU BLODDY CAN"T don't you know how to READ..
    >
    >IDE has a Limited length of cable and it not a true buss.

    IDE can be implemented on a bus. After all, it just stands for
    "Integrated Drive Electronics". SCSI, ATAPI and SATA are all forms of
    IDE, and at least 2 of those can be used both internally and externally.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 19, 2005
  12. JedMeister

    Andrew Guest

    CSE wrote:
    > On Thu, 19 May 2005 14:00:02 +1200, Chris Hope <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>CSE wrote:

    >>>You can't use a IDE drive externally..

    >>Yes you can, if you have an enclosure for it where they plug into either
    >>a USB or firewire port. I've done this myself with quite a few
    >>different IDE drives.

    > YOU BLODDY CAN"T don't you know how to READ..
    >
    > IDE has a Limited length of cable and it not a true buss.
    >
    > The Poster stated noting at all about USB etc..

    Have you ever heard of an external drive enclosure?
    Andrew, May 19, 2005
  13. JedMeister

    S Roby Guest

    >You can't use a IDE drive externally..

    I see we are overusing using our internal brainial functionaryisms
    What he meant by externally was attached to his body where as others would use
    IDE as a suppository(Internally)

    I myself have used a IDE externally: ie used it outdoors, using it at the end
    of the max IDE cable length; it made an excellent weapon/childs toy.

    & enclosures used to be available that connect an external IDE via
    a round ide cable that plugged into a socket at the back of the PC
    This was before USB of course, & worked just fine.
    S Roby, May 19, 2005
  14. JedMeister

    S Roby Guest

    >> I use the 3.5inch DSE case, at $153 it is USB and firewire 400 and has a
    >> cooling fan.
    >>
    >> If you want half way decent performance you need to go firewire,
    >> especially as a PCI firewire card is all of $35....also at DSE. The
    >> firewire end works in Linux, Win2k and Mac OSx.

    Some Sound Blaster(Audigy) sound cards have a firewire port, worth a look??
    Also note that the small fans quite often get very noisey
    S Roby, May 19, 2005
  15. JedMeister

    Jedmeister Guest

    "phstpok" <> wrote in message
    > JedMeister wrote:
    >> I just ordered a seagate 400gb ide harddrive.
    >>
    >> Rather than install this into the PC internally, I think it would be
    >> useful to purchase a harddrive enclosure.
    >>
    >> Any recommendations? I noticed some enclosures only support up to 300gb
    >> (in the small print) but I don't know if this is true in general of all
    >> enclosures.
    >>

    > Why would that be. The external enclosures don't have their own bios,
    > Unless in your own bios there is some limit. What connection? usb?,
    > firewire,?
    >
    > --
    >

    > http://phstpok.blog.co.uk/main/

    I don't know, 300gb was listed as a restriction on one of the enclosures I
    looked at. I guess I will just ask the vendor to confirm compatibility
    with 400gb drives before I buy.

    USB 2.0 mandatory, firewire is a plus but no big deal.
    Jedmeister, May 19, 2005
  16. JedMeister

    Jedmeister Guest

    "thing" <> wrote in message
    > JedMeister wrote:
    >> I just ordered a seagate 400gb ide harddrive.
    >>
    >> Rather than install this into the PC internally, I think it would be
    >> useful to purchase a harddrive enclosure.
    >>
    >> Any recommendations? I noticed some enclosures only support up to 300gb
    >> (in the small print) but I don't know if this is true in general of all
    >> enclosures.
    >>

    > I use the 3.5inch DSE case, at $153 it is USB and firewire 400 and has a
    > cooling fan.
    >
    > If you want half way decent performance you need to go firewire,
    > especially as a PCI firewire card is all of $35....also at DSE. The
    > firewire end works in Linux, Win2k and Mac OSx.
    >
    > Capacity is not the limiting factor, look at the power usage of a 300gig
    > drive and the 400 gig drive (probably the same) and make sure the external
    > case can cope with a margin.
    >
    > regards
    >
    > thing

    Thanks for this, I'll check out DSE.
    Jedmeister, May 19, 2005
  17. JedMeister

    thing Guest

    S Roby wrote:
    >>>I use the 3.5inch DSE case, at $153 it is USB and firewire 400 and has a
    >>>cooling fan.
    >>>
    >>>If you want half way decent performance you need to go firewire,
    >>>especially as a PCI firewire card is all of $35....also at DSE. The
    >>>firewire end works in Linux, Win2k and Mac OSx.
    >>>

    > Some Sound Blaster(Audigy) sound cards have a firewire port, worth a look??
    > Also note that the small fans quite often get very noisey

    Yes they do, I have the external one, it maybe the Audigy2 ones only
    though. The DSE's fan does not seem unduly noisy, but thats because the
    present drive is way loud!

    regards

    thing
    thing, May 19, 2005
  18. JedMeister

    CSE Guest

    On Thu, 19 May 2005 16:53:33 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > CSE <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Thu, 19 May 2005 14:00:02 +1200, Chris Hope <>
    >>wrote:

    >>>Yes you can, if you have an enclosure for it where they plug into either
    >>>a USB or firewire port. I've done this myself with quite a few
    >>>different IDE drives.

    >>YOU BLODDY CAN"T don't you know how to READ..
    >>
    >>IDE has a Limited length of cable and it not a true buss.

    >IDE can be implemented on a bus. After all, it just stands for
    >"Integrated Drive Electronics". SCSI, ATAPI and SATA are all forms of
    >IDE, and at least 2 of those can be used both internally and externally.

    No it can't as its a TTL Interface and the Max cable length is a TOTAL of 18"
    and that is stretching it as the Data books State 12", time me think you do
    need some basic training as you just don't know a thing...

    When you have done some Electronic development and got you name in the
    Newspaper than you can comments..
    CSE, May 19, 2005
  19. JedMeister

    Bret Guest

    On Thu, 19 May 2005 19:19:58 +1200, CSE <>
    wrote:

    >On Thu, 19 May 2005 16:53:33 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    ><_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >>In article <>,
    >> CSE <> wrote:

    >>>YOU BLODDY CAN"T don't you know how to READ..
    >>>
    >>>IDE has a Limited length of cable and it not a true buss.

    >>IDE can be implemented on a bus. After all, it just stands for
    >>"Integrated Drive Electronics". SCSI, ATAPI and SATA are all forms of
    >>IDE, and at least 2 of those can be used both internally and externally.

    >No it can't as its a TTL Interface and the Max cable length is a TOTAL of 18"
    >and that is stretching it as the Data books State 12", time me think you do
    >need some basic training as you just don't know a thing...
    >
    >When you have done some Electronic development and got you name in the
    >Newspaper than you can comments..

    You appear to be talking at cross purposes Roger, re-read the OP.
    Bret, May 19, 2005
  20. In article <>,
    CSE <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 19 May 2005 16:53:33 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    ><_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >>In article <>,
    >> CSE <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>On Thu, 19 May 2005 14:00:02 +1200, Chris Hope
    >>><>

    >>>YOU BLODDY CAN"T don't you know how to READ..
    >>>
    >>>IDE has a Limited length of cable and it not a true buss.

    >>IDE can be implemented on a bus. After all, it just stands for
    >>"Integrated Drive Electronics". SCSI, ATAPI and SATA are all forms of
    >>IDE, and at least 2 of those can be used both internally and externally.

    >No it can't as its a TTL Interface and the Max cable length is a TOTAL of 18"
    >and that is stretching it as the Data books State 12", time me think you do
    >need some basic training as you just don't know a thing...

    Obviously you don't know anything about SCSI or SATA.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 19, 2005