    anyone had any experience with it? Or alternatively could anyone a quality
    enclosure for a reasonable price?
    Thanks for any assistance.
    david, Jul 22, 2007

  2. david

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Hi, I'm considering buying an external hard disc to connect to my laptop for
    > backups etc, and I've noticed that the prices for 3.5" enclosures vary
    > wildly. I'd imagine that the quality varies as well, I'm concerned that an
    > inadequate AC adaptor/power supply could lead to the drive failing, and also
    > about transfer speeds (using USB 2.0). I'm considering this 'Lemel'
    > enclosure, http://www.pcpacific.net/product_info.php?products_id=3617, has
    > anyone had any experience with it? Or alternatively could anyone a quality
    > enclosure for a reasonable price?
    > Thanks for any assistance.

    Firstly, 3.5" drives. These are standard HDD's - and not well designed
    for banging about (I guess no drive is). 2.5" notebook drives though,
    are designed for more rugged use and I'd suggest you use those. You
    still wanna treat the drive carefully, but in my experience I think
    you'll find it more suitable for the job. (I've had one USB drive (yes
    a 3.5" drive) go bad from a client, and I've also been recommended to
    stear clear of 3.5" enclosures for the same reason by a dealer).

    --
    Duncan
    Dave Doe, Jul 22, 2007

  3. david

    david Guest

    "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >> Hi, I'm considering buying an external hard disc to connect to my laptop
    >> for
    >> backups etc, and I've noticed that the prices for 3.5" enclosures vary
    >> wildly. I'd imagine that the quality varies as well, I'm concerned that
    >> an
    >> inadequate AC adaptor/power supply could lead to the drive failing, and
    >> also
    >> about transfer speeds (using USB 2.0). I'm considering this 'Lemel'
    >> enclosure, http://www.pcpacific.net/product_info.php?products_id=3617,
    >> has
    >> anyone had any experience with it? Or alternatively could anyone a
    >> quality
    >> enclosure for a reasonable price?
    >> Thanks for any assistance.

    > Firstly, 3.5" drives. These are standard HDD's - and not well designed
    > for banging about (I guess no drive is). 2.5" notebook drives though,
    > are designed for more rugged use and I'd suggest you use those. You
    > still wanna treat the drive carefully, but in my experience I think
    > you'll find it more suitable for the job. (I've had one USB drive (yes
    > a 3.5" drive) go bad from a client, and I've also been recommended to
    > stear clear of 3.5" enclosures for the same reason by a dealer).
    >
    > --
    > Duncan

    I understand your concerns, but a 2.5" drive doesn't provide the amount of
    storage I need. My laptop actually has a spare 2.5" drive bay, but as I plan
    on using the external drive simply for backup and media storage, it would
    spend all its time sitting on or under my desk, and not be treated any more
    roughly than the average desktop PC.

    Thanks,
    Dave.
    david, Jul 22, 2007
  4. david

    big cat Guest

    On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 16:39:24 +1200, "david" <> wrote:

    >Hi, I'm considering buying an external hard disc to connect to my laptop for
    >backups etc, and I've noticed that the prices for 3.5" enclosures vary
    >wildly. I'd imagine that the quality varies as well, I'm concerned that an
    >inadequate AC adaptor/power supply could lead to the drive failing, and also
    >about transfer speeds (using USB 2.0). I'm considering this 'Lemel'
    >enclosure, http://www.pcpacific.net/product_info.php?products_id=3617, has
    >anyone had any experience with it? Or alternatively could anyone a quality
    >enclosure for a reasonable price?
    >Thanks for any assistance.

    Far cheaper to get a made up Seagate Free Agent one, and its 5 year
    warrantee.
    big cat, Jul 22, 2007
  5. david

    JohnO Guest

    On Jul 23, 10:12 am, big cat <> wrote:
    > On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 16:39:24 +1200, "david" <> wrote:
    > >Hi, I'm considering buying an external hard disc to connect to my laptop for
    > >backups etc, and I've noticed that the prices for 3.5" enclosures vary
    > >wildly. I'd imagine that the quality varies as well, I'm concerned that an
    > >inadequate AC adaptor/power supply could lead to the drive failing, and also
    > >about transfer speeds (using USB 2.0). I'm considering this 'Lemel'
    > >enclosure,http://www.pcpacific.net/product_info.php?products_id=3617, has
    > >anyone had any experience with it? Or alternatively could anyone a quality
    > >enclosure for a reasonable price?
    > >Thanks for any assistance.

    > Far cheaper to get a made up Seagate Free Agent one, and its 5 year
    > warrantee.

    Changed your nym again, Woger?
    JohnO, Jul 23, 2007
  6. On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 17:37:59 -0700, JohnO <> wrote in

    > On Jul 23, 10:12 am, big cat <> wrote:
    >> On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 16:39:24 +1200, "david" <> wrote:
    >>>Hi, I'm considering buying an external hard disc to connect to my laptop for
    >>>backups etc, and I've noticed that the prices for 3.5" enclosures vary
    >>>wildly. I'd imagine that the quality varies as well, I'm concerned that an
    >>>inadequate AC adaptor/power supply could lead to the drive failing, and also
    >>>about transfer speeds (using USB 2.0). I'm considering this 'Lemel'
    >>>enclosure,http://www.pcpacific.net/product_info.php?products_id=3617, has
    >>>anyone had any experience with it? Or alternatively could anyone a quality
    >>>enclosure for a reasonable price?
    >>>Thanks for any assistance.

    >> Far cheaper to get a made up Seagate Free Agent one, and its 5 year
    >> warrantee.

    > Changed your nym again, Woger?

    Looks like it. Little Pussy. Meow.
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Jul 23, 2007
  7. david

    ~misfit~ Guest

    JohnO wrote:
    > On Jul 23, 10:12 am, big cat <> wrote:
    > > On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 16:39:24 +1200, "david" <>
    > > wrote:
    > > > Hi, I'm considering buying an external hard disc to connect to my
    > > > laptop for backups etc, and I've noticed that the prices for 3.5"
    > > > enclosures vary wildly. I'd imagine that the quality varies as
    > > > well, I'm concerned that an inadequate AC adaptor/power supply
    > > > could lead to the drive failing, and also about transfer speeds
    > > > (using USB 2.0). I'm considering this 'Lemel'
    > > > enclosure,http://www.pcpacific.net/product_info.php?products_id=3617,
    > > > has anyone had any experience with it? Or alternatively could
    > > > anyone a quality enclosure for a reasonable price?
    > > > Thanks for any assistance.

    > > Far cheaper to get a made up Seagate Free Agent one, and its 5 year
    > > warrantee.

    > Changed your nym again, Woger?

    Hasn't he used that one before in some form?

    Anyway, thanks for the heads-up. Ironic (moronic?) that he was protesting
    the validity of "the list" not so long ago huh?

    <Plonk big cat>
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Jul 23, 2007
  8. david

    Gordon Guest

    On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 16:39:24 +1200, david wrote:

    > Hi, I'm considering buying an external hard disc to connect to my laptop
    > for backups etc, and I've noticed that the prices for 3.5" enclosures
    > vary wildly. I'd imagine that the quality varies as well, I'm concerned
    > that an inadequate AC adaptor/power supply could lead to the drive
    > failing, and also about transfer speeds (using USB 2.0). I'm considering
    > this 'Lemel' enclosure,
    > http://www.pcpacific.net/product_info.php?products_id=3617, has anyone
    > had any experience with it? Or alternatively could anyone a quality
    > enclosure for a reasonable price?
    > Thanks for any assistance.

    Does this one have an external power supply? It is needed.

    The other point is cooling of the HDD. Some are better than others.

    In short I would say that one double this price ie $56 plus GST would be
    a better buy.

    One without a fan is also a good idea as there is one less whine about.
    Gordon, Jul 23, 2007