external hard drives

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by darkknight, Sep 5, 2007.

  1. darkknight

    darkknight Guest

    darkknight, Sep 5, 2007

  2. darkknight

    Greg House Guest

    On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 10:44:26 +1200, darkknight <> wrote:

    >Is anyone familiar with the Lacie Porsche 320 GB external hard drive
    >http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=353179
    >
    >or can recommend one?
    >
    >TIA.

    Why not get a Real Brand like the Seagate Freeagent 320g at around $200 Plus 5 year warrantee.

    I think mine was some $219 from DSE as a special..
    Greg House, Sep 6, 2007

  3. darkknight

    thingy Guest

    thingy, Sep 6, 2007
  4. darkknight

    Max Burke Guest

    > In news: darkknight Scribbled:
    > Is anyone familiar with the Lacie Porsche 320 GB external hard drive
    > http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=353179

    > or can recommend one?

    Seagate:
    http://reviews.cnet.com/4566-3186_7-0.html?filter=1000036_5256097_

    NexStar: GX USB2 external Hard Drive enclosure:
    http://www.vantecusa.com/products/nexstarGX/p_nst-370gx.html

    I have 2 with 400GB SeaGate drives in each, used for backups and iPod/iTunes
    Library backups.

    Doubled my USB2 ports as well.

    Found Images
    Max Burke, Sep 6, 2007
  5. darkknight

    Greg House Guest

    On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 23:28:20 +1200, Richard <> wrote:

    >darkknight wrote:
    >>
    >> Is anyone familiar with the Lacie Porsche 320 GB external hard drive
    >> http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=353179
    >>
    >> or can recommend one?
    >>
    >> TIA.

    >Get a seperate drive and case,
    >
    >Im not aware of any USB cases that take sata drives, but I am sure they
    >are out there, that way you are not getting an obsolete drive that you
    >can never put into a computer in the future, and you will be able to
    >find larger drives to put in the case in the future.

    No the Seagate Freeagent is the best was 5 year warrantee.
    Greg House, Sep 7, 2007
  6. darkknight

    John Guest

    "darkknight" <> wrote in message

    > Is anyone familiar with the Lacie Porsche 320 GB external hard drive
    > http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=353179
    >
    > or can recommend one?
    >
    > TIA.

    You are best to get a eSATA / USB2.0 drive enclosure, and then add a sata
    seagtate hardrive, which come with a 5 year warranty. This is then as fast
    as an internal drive.
    John, Sep 7, 2007
  7. darkknight

    darkknight Guest

    On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 11:06:24 +1200, Greg House <
    wrote:

    >On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 23:28:20 +1200, Richard <> wrote:
    >
    >>darkknight wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Is anyone familiar with the Lacie Porsche 320 GB external hard drive
    >>> http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=353179
    >>>
    >>> or can recommend one?
    >>>
    >>> TIA.

    >>Get a seperate drive and case,
    >>
    >>Im not aware of any USB cases that take sata drives, but I am sure they
    >>are out there, that way you are not getting an obsolete drive that you
    >>can never put into a computer in the future, and you will be able to
    >>find larger drives to put in the case in the future.

    >No the Seagate Freeagent is the best was 5 year warrantee.

    I got a Seagate Freeagent 250 GB for $179 from DSE.

    Thanks guys.
    darkknight, Sep 7, 2007
  8. darkknight

    ~misfit~ Guest

    John wrote:
    > "darkknight" <> wrote in message
    > >

    > > Is anyone familiar with the Lacie Porsche 320 GB external hard drive
    > > http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=353179
    > >
    > > or can recommend one?
    > >
    > > TIA.

    > You are best to get a eSATA / USB2.0 drive enclosure, and then add a
    > sata seagtate hardrive, which come with a 5 year warranty. This is
    > then as fast as an internal drive.

    I agree wholeheartedly. Anyone considering an external drive should be
    looking to eSATA. PCI cards that support it can be had for around $NZ50 and,
    as you say, the drive is then as fast as an internal drive and can be booted
    from etc.

    In fact eSATA is an excellent option for cramped/hot cases where an external
    drive rack can be used with a slow, quiet fan if needed.
    --
    TTFN.

    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Sep 7, 2007
  9. darkknight

    ~misfit~ Guest

    darkknight wrote:
    > On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 11:06:24 +1200, Greg House <
    > wrote:

    > > > Get a seperate drive and case,
    > > >
    > > > Im not aware of any USB cases that take sata drives, but I am
    > > > sure they are out there, that way you are not getting an obsolete
    > > > drive that you can never put into a computer in the future, and
    > > > you will be able to find larger drives to put in the case in the
    > > > future.

    > > No the Seagate Freeagent is the best was 5 year warrantee.
    > >

    > I got a Seagate Freeagent 250 GB for $179 from DSE.
    >
    > Thanks guys.

    Yeah, the price is good. I personally prefer the Free Agent Pro, it's dearer
    but has the eSATA option as well as USB.
    --
    TTFN.

    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Sep 7, 2007
  10. darkknight

    Greg House Guest

    On Fri, 7 Sep 2007 14:00:53 +1200, "John" <> wrote:

    >"darkknight" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> Is anyone familiar with the Lacie Porsche 320 GB external hard drive
    >> http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=353179
    >>
    >> or can recommend one?
    >>
    >> TIA.

    >You are best to get a eSATA / USB2.0 drive enclosure, and then add a sata
    >seagtate hardrive, which come with a 5 year warranty. This is then as fast
    >as an internal drive.

    About 5 times slower due to the speed of USB 2.00

    Seagate do a eSata drive in there Freeagent Pro Plus there is a model with Firewire interface
    plus USB 2.0
    Greg House, Sep 7, 2007
  11. darkknight

    Greg House Guest

    On Fri, 7 Sep 2007 16:40:55 +1200, "~misfit~" <> wrote:

    >darkknight wrote:
    >> On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 11:06:24 +1200, Greg House <
    >> wrote:

    >> > No the Seagate Freeagent is the best was 5 year warrantee.
    >> >

    >> I got a Seagate Freeagent 250 GB for $179 from DSE.
    >>
    >> Thanks guys.

    >Yeah, the price is good. I personally prefer the Free Agent Pro, it's dearer
    >but has the eSATA option as well as USB.

    Plus can be turned off with out shutting down the USB Port..
    Greg House, Sep 7, 2007
  12. darkknight

    Greg House Guest

    On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 15:55:31 +1200, darkknight <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 11:06:24 +1200, Greg House <
    >wrote:

    >>>Get a seperate drive and case,
    >>>
    >>>Im not aware of any USB cases that take sata drives, but I am sure they
    >>>are out there, that way you are not getting an obsolete drive that you
    >>>can never put into a computer in the future, and you will be able to
    >>>find larger drives to put in the case in the future.

    >>No the Seagate Freeagent is the best was 5 year warrantee.
    >>

    >I got a Seagate Freeagent 250 GB for $179 from DSE.
    >
    >Thanks guys.

    You should shop around $159 special at Harvey Norman..

    From Sep 4th to the 18th..
    Greg House, Sep 7, 2007