    they intended to be used long term? Is there anything different in a drive made
    specifically to be an external drive? Thanks.
    , Jul 6, 2005

  2. Toolman Tim Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > This may seem like a stupid question, but I'll pose it anyway. I have two
    > S-ATA
    > drive in my system. I want to add an additional external drive for music
    > and
    > photos. I know I can purchase a USB or firewire external drive and just
    > hook it
    > up. What I'm wondering is, I have a drive enclosure that I bought last
    > year
    > after building a new system, and having problems trabsferring data from an
    > old
    > drive into the new computer. The only way I ended up being able to do so
    > was to
    > buy a drive enclosure and put the hard drive into it, hook it up by USB
    > and it
    > worked fine. It showed up as a drive letter and I was able to transfer all
    > the
    > data to the new drives. So my question is this: Since it would cost me
    > more to
    > buy an "external" drive that just to purchase a hard drive, is there any
    > reason
    > I couldn't just buy a new hard drive, put it into the enclosure and run
    > the
    > whole thing as a full time external drive? I realize that the enclosure is
    > nothing more than a plastic box with the connections and a power supply.
    > But are
    > they intended to be used long term? Is there anything different in a drive
    > made
    > specifically to be an external drive? Thanks.

    Nope. Go for it. There is no difference between the DIY kit and the
    expensive "pretty" store bought units.

    I have a similar enclosure, with an old 5gig HD. I've had it running 10+
    hours a day for over a year. I used to "mirror" all my files at work onto
    the drive, and bring it home with me, especially on the weekends. Now I have
    a VPN so I don't do that anymore, but (except for the time I dropped it) it
    worked flawlessly, and still does. (I take it with me when I travel in case
    I can't get a high-speed connection.)
    Toolman Tim, Jul 7, 2005