    to, such an external hard drive?

    Thank you in advance to those knowledge holders who take the time to answer
    our questions.

    Maxje, Jul 17, 2009

  2. Maxje

    sandy58 Guest

    On Jul 17, 4:14 am, "Maxje" <> wrote:
    > I finally bought one of those back-up external hard drive and Lo and
    > Behold,my desktop hard drive stopped working.  That external hard drive
    > saved me years of accumulated data.  My questions are the following:
    >
    > I have a 500 Gb external hard drive.  Some of those files:tax softwares/4
    > years; medical test and records, are highly confidential.
    >
    > Can I overwrite/wipe free space? (Erase program) those files without
    > damaging the external hard drive? and can I defragment/and is it necessary
    > to, such an external hard drive?
    >
    > Thank you in advance to those knowledge holders who take the time to answer
    > our questions.

    You can do both safely.

    sandy58, Jul 17, 2009

  3. Maxje

    Guest

    "Maxje" <> wrote:

    >Can I overwrite/wipe free space? (Erase program) those files without
    >damaging the external hard drive? and can I defragment/and is it necessary
    >to, such an external hard drive?

    Yes you can delete or zero out the files.

    Defraging isn't necessary if while copying all the files you didn't
    delete any on the external drive, while you were copying.

    When copying a file it goes as a single file, say it's fragmented into
    22 pieces on the HD, when you copy it all those pieces are copied as a
    single file (no fragmentation).

    --

    Does Machu Picchu have a face?
    http://www.travelzones.net/central-and-south-america/peru/does-machu-picchu-have-a-face/ or http://tinyurl.com/m69gg4

    , Jul 17, 2009
  4. Hello,

    You can overwrite and wipe free space using Eraser without any problems.

    Be sure that you don't need the data back as recovering the data after
    running Eraser will be much harder.
    --
    Regards,
    Singapore Computer Home Repair Service

    Singapore Computer Service, Jul 17, 2009
  5. Maxje

    Jordon Guest

    Maxje wrote:
    > I finally bought one of those back-up external hard drive and Lo and
    > Behold,my desktop hard drive stopped working. That external hard drive
    > saved me years of accumulated data.

    But according to Chucktard, that's not possible. An external
    hard drive will always fail before before an internal hard
    drive. You must have done something wrong.

    --
    Jordon

    Jordon, Jul 17, 2009
  6. Maxje