    first is there any way to recover the data. I get the same result when I
    connect it to my laptop.

    Thanks for any help. H

    Howlis, Feb 26, 2007

  2. Howlis

    meerkat Guest

    "Howlis" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have an Archos removable hard drive that until yesterday had given me
    > no trouble. I needed to check some files that are on there but when I
    > connected it up to my computer, which is running "Windows XP home", it
    > doesn't recognise it, I just get a message telling me the drive needs
    > formatting do I want to proceed. The drive appears to be running ok with
    > no unusual sounds and I'm fairly sure it will be ok after formatting but
    > first is there any way to recover the data. I get the same result when I
    > connect it to my laptop.

    PCI File Recovery. (It`s Free !)
    http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/UK/welcome.htm

    Install to your internal drive, and recover from your external.

    If you know what hard drive is inside the Archos,
    you could d/load the test software from the drive
    manufacturer, and test the drive.

    meerkat, Feb 26, 2007

  3. Howlis

    richard Guest

    "Howlis" <> wrote in message
    >I have an Archos removable hard drive that until yesterday had given me
    > no trouble. I needed to check some files that are on there but when I
    > connected it up to my computer, which is running "Windows XP home", it
    > doesn't recognise it, I just get a message telling me the drive needs
    > formatting do I want to proceed. The drive appears to be running ok with
    > no unusual sounds and I'm fairly sure it will be ok after formatting but
    > first is there any way to recover the data. I get the same result when I
    > connect it to my laptop.
    >
    > Thanks for any help. H

    I have found that external hard drives built for that purpose are easily
    toasted if dropped.
    As it is not being recognized, chances are a file recovery program won't do
    any good.
    But if the program is free, give it a shot.

    I've found that using an internal hard drive housed in a usb box is a better
    way to go. As they are a bit better built and will withstand shock much
    better.

    I wanted to fire up my old driveless dell and see if it would work.
    Installed the original drive. Wouldn't even boot up. Checked the drive on
    the laptop and it worked just fine. And that drive has been bounced around
    quite a bit.

    richard, Feb 26, 2007
  4. Howlis

    Howlis Guest

    meerkat wrote:
    > "Howlis" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I have an Archos removable hard drive that until yesterday had given me
    >>no trouble. I needed to check some files that are on there but when I
    >>connected it up to my computer, which is running "Windows XP home", it
    >>doesn't recognise it, I just get a message telling me the drive needs
    >>formatting do I want to proceed. The drive appears to be running ok with
    >>no unusual sounds and I'm fairly sure it will be ok after formatting but
    >>first is there any way to recover the data. I get the same result when I
    >>connect it to my laptop.
    >>

    > PCI File Recovery. (It`s Free !)
    > http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/UK/welcome.htm
    >
    > Install to your internal drive, and recover from your external.
    >
    > If you know what hard drive is inside the Archos,
    > you could d/load the test software from the drive
    > manufacturer, and test the drive.

    Thanks for the help meerat, I've d/loaded "pcinspector and am in the
    process of giving it a run. It managed the smaller files ok but seems to
    be having a bit of trouble with the larger files, Ill let you know how I
    get on.

    Howlis, Feb 26, 2007
  5. Howlis

    Howlis Guest

    Richard wrote:

    > "Howlis" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> I have an Archos removable hard drive that until yesterday had given me
    >> no trouble. I needed to check some files that are on there but when I
    >> connected it up to my computer, which is running "Windows XP home", it
    >> doesn't recognise it, I just get a message telling me the drive needs
    >> formatting do I want to proceed. The drive appears to be running ok with
    >> no unusual sounds and I'm fairly sure it will be ok after formatting but
    >> first is there any way to recover the data. I get the same result when I
    >> connect it to my laptop.
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help. H

    > I have found that external hard drives built for that purpose are easily
    > toasted if dropped.
    > As it is not being recognized, chances are a file recovery program won't do
    > any good.
    > But if the program is free, give it a shot.
    >
    > I've found that using an internal hard drive housed in a usb box is a
    > better
    > way to go. As they are a bit better built and will withstand shock much
    > better.
    >
    > I wanted to fire up my old driveless dell and see if it would work.
    > Installed the original drive. Wouldn't even boot up. Checked the drive on
    > the laptop and it worked just fine. And that drive has been bounced around
    > quite a bit.

    Hi Richard, this was the first external I ever bought and although it's
    never been dropped I think it was just "sods law" kicking me in the ass.
    I too use a caddy with an internal drive as they're also cheaper and if
    nothing else have learned the importance of having more than one backup.
    Thanks for your input.

    Howlis, Feb 26, 2007
  6. Howlis

    WhzzKdd Guest

    richard wrote:
    > "Howlis" <> wrote in message
    >> I have an Archos removable hard drive that until yesterday had given
    >> me no trouble.

    > I have found that external hard drives built for that purpose are
    > easily toasted if dropped.

    Just like my Accutron watch. Bummer.

    WhzzKdd, Feb 26, 2007
  7. Howlis

    Guest

    On Feb 26, 11:42 am, Howlis <> wrote:
    > >> The drive appears to be running ok with
    > >> no unusual sounds and I'm fairly sure it will be ok after formatting but
    > >> first is there any way to recover the data. I get the same result when I
    > >> connect it to my laptop.

    > >> Thanks for any help. H

    There are a couple more free data recovery tools you might try also:

    http://free-backup.info/data-recovery-software.htm

    , Feb 27, 2007
  8. Howlis wrote:

    > I have an Archos removable hard drive that until yesterday had given me
    > no trouble. I needed to check some files that are on there but when I
    > connected it up to my computer, which is running "Windows XP home", it
    > doesn't recognise it, I just get a message telling me the drive needs
    > formatting do I want to proceed. The drive appears to be running ok with
    > no unusual sounds and I'm fairly sure it will be ok after formatting but
    > first is there any way to recover the data. I get the same result when I
    > connect it to my laptop.

    If you drive is out of warranty, you may open it (usually tiny screws) and
    find it probably contains a standard ide drive. Now carefully take that
    drive and install it on the 2nd ide channel instead of a cdrom (preferred)
    or as slave (re-jumper would be necessary then).
    Let the bios detect it, hopefully.
    Now run the drive test tool you downloaded from the manufacturer of the
    drive, not the usb enclosure.

    Walter Mautner, Feb 27, 2007