    USB1 or 2?

    Many thanks

    Vince

    Vincent Burgum, Nov 22, 2005

  2. Vincent Burgum

    Trax Guest

    "Vincent Burgum" <> wrote:

    |>Hello
    |> I am thinking of buying an external hard drive to use as a back up. The
    |>one I am interested in is a Freecom 80 gb, but it says it uses USB2. Can
    |>someone tell me what that is and how I tell whether on my computer I have
    |>USB1 or 2?

    RUN (WinKey+R): devmgmt.msc <enter>

    Open the USB controllers - if you see "Enhanced" anywhere in there,
    you have USB2.

    --
    Redneck Roller Coaster

    Trax, Nov 22, 2005

  3. Vincent Burgum

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2005-11-22, Trax <> wrote:
    > "Vincent Burgum" <> wrote:
    >
    >|>Hello
    >|> I am thinking of buying an external hard drive to use as a back up. The
    >|>one I am interested in is a Freecom 80 gb, but it says it uses USB2. Can
    >|>someone tell me what that is and how I tell whether on my computer I have
    >|>USB1 or 2?
    >
    > RUN (WinKey+R): devmgmt.msc <enter>
    >
    > Open the USB controllers - if you see "Enhanced" anywhere in there,
    > you have USB2.

    USB2 devices should be able to run on earlier versions of USB socket, and
    vice versa; you'll just get slower data transfer than USB2-to-USB2.

    --
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Nov 22, 2005
  4. Vincent Burgum

    old man Guest

    usb2 is backward compatible with usb1
    As its a backup drive the 'quicker' usb2 makes no difference

    old man, Nov 22, 2005