    Can password protected software unload only onto the external hard drive so
    it would block it out on any computer that it was hooked up to?

    E-mail me at:
    Ted C., Dec 16, 2006

  2. Ted C.

    Robert Baer Guest

    Ted C. wrote:

    > Please Help!
    >
    > I have my banking and business files on an external hard drive and I'm
    > looking for software
    > (freeware would be nice) that would keep people out.
    > Is there a way to lock the whole drive or at less the directories?
    > I tried programs like Hide Files & Folders, but that only hides the folders
    > when it's hooked up to my computer.
    > Visible when hooked up to other computers.
    > I assume that's because it loads onto my internal hard drive.
    > Can password protected software unload only onto the external hard drive so
    > it would block it out on any computer that it was hooked up to?
    >
    > E-mail me at:

    Well...one can "hide" a partition and if that is done FDISK and AFAIK
    no OS will see that partition.
    That means you would have to fiddle with special software to "unhide"
    that partition before using that drive, and re-hiding the partition
    after use.
    Having it external and (presumedly) on USB does tend to help the
    situation if you can manage to run that special software in your GUI OS,
    as the only two programs i know of that will do that are DOS based and
    one boots with a DOS floppy to run them.
    I think i can make a program that could do that, assuming that the
    GUI OS "sees" the USB drive the same way as an internal drive; it would
    run in a DOS (or command) window.
    That program may even run under XP but i would have no way of testing
    it in that environment.

    Robert Baer, Dec 16, 2006

  3. Ted C.

    JANA Guest

    If you have MS Office, or Open Office, read in their help system about how
    to password files. Then you can password the files that you have.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, Dec 16, 2006
  4. Ted C.

    Guest

    Robert Baer wrote:
    > Ted C. wrote:
    >
    > > Please Help!
    > >
    > > I have my banking and business files on an external hard drive and I'm
    > > looking for software
    > > (freeware would be nice) that would keep people out.
    > > Is there a way to lock the whole drive or at less the directories?
    > > I tried programs like Hide Files & Folders, but that only hides the folders
    > > when it's hooked up to my computer.
    > > Visible when hooked up to other computers.
    > > I assume that's because it loads onto my internal hard drive.
    > > Can password protected software unload only onto the external hard drive so
    > > it would block it out on any computer that it was hooked up to?
    > >
    > > E-mail me at:

    > Well...one can "hide" a partition and if that is done FDISK and AFAIK
    > no OS will see that partition.
    > That means you would have to fiddle with special software to "unhide"
    > that partition before using that drive, and re-hiding the partition
    > after use.

    <snip>

    what a joke!!! So if they have "partition magic" which is fairly
    standard, they can unhide the partition and see it.

    > Having it external and (presumedly) on USB does tend to help the
    > situation if you can manage to run that special software in your GUI OS,
    > as the only two programs i know of that will do that are DOS based and
    > one boots with a DOS floppy to run them.

    which programs?
    Are you still talking about partition magic [rescue disks]? These
    programs aren't related to it being USB. I'm not even sure if it sees
    USB. But either way this isn't a good solution..IF peopel can instal
    standard software and access the partition with no password

    <snip>
    , Dec 16, 2006
  5. Ted C.

    Guest

    JANA wrote:
    > If you have MS Office, or Open Office, read in their help system about how
    > to password files. Then you can password the files that you have.
    >
    > --
    >
    > JANA

    madness!
    it's very likely that there are cracks for those.
    , Dec 16, 2006
  6. Ted C.

    Guest

    Ted C. (NoSpam) wrote:
    > Please Help!
    >
    > I have my banking and business files on an external hard drive and I'm
    > looking for software
    > (freeware would be nice) that would keep people out.
    > Is there a way to lock the whole drive or at less the directories?
    > I tried programs like Hide Files & Folders, but that only hides the folders
    > when it's hooked up to my computer.
    > Visible when hooked up to other computers.

    hilarious

    > I assume that's because it loads onto my internal hard drive.
    > Can password protected software unload only onto the external hard drive so
    > it would block it out on any computer that it was hooked up to?
    >
    > E-mail me at:

    Truecrypt or Axcrypt.

    Put all you wish to protect within one folder/directory. (e.g.
    subdirectories of it)

    Truecrypt will store all that in one truecrypt file called a truecrypt
    volume, which is password protected. It'll be visible on your computer
    since you run truecrypt and enter the password. Truecrypt will mount
    the truecrypt volume, and it'll appear as any other folders/directories
    and files.

    Axcrypt will just encrypt the files. So to access them you would have
    to decrypt them.

    Truecrypt looks very much what you are looking for. Both are free.
    , Dec 16, 2006
  7. Ted C.

    Robert Baer Guest

    JANA wrote:

    > If you have MS Office, or Open Office, read in their help system about how
    > to password files. Then you can password the files that you have.

    The OP was talking about a *drive*, not about fiddlong with
    potentially thousands of files....

    Robert Baer, Dec 17, 2006
  8. Ted C.

    Robert Baer Guest

    wrote:

    > Robert Baer wrote:
    >
    >>Ted C. wrote:
    >>

    >>>Please Help!
    >>>
    >>>I have my banking and business files on an external hard drive and I'm
    >>>looking for software
    >>>(freeware would be nice) that would keep people out.
    >>>Is there a way to lock the whole drive or at less the directories?
    >>>I tried programs like Hide Files & Folders, but that only hides the folders
    >>>when it's hooked up to my computer.
    >>>Visible when hooked up to other computers.
    >>>I assume that's because it loads onto my internal hard drive.
    >>>Can password protected software unload only onto the external hard drive so
    >>>it would block it out on any computer that it was hooked up to?
    >>>
    >>>E-mail me at:

    >> Well...one can "hide" a partition and if that is done FDISK and AFAIK
    >>no OS will see that partition.
    >> That means you would have to fiddle with special software to "unhide"
    >>that partition before using that drive, and re-hiding the partition
    >>after use.

    > <snip>
    >
    > what a joke!!! So if they have "partition magic" which is fairly
    > standard, they can unhide the partition and see it.
    >

    >> Having it external and (presumedly) on USB does tend to help the
    >>situation if you can manage to run that special software in your GUI OS,
    >>as the only two programs i know of that will do that are DOS based and
    >>one boots with a DOS floppy to run them.

    > which programs?
    > Are you still talking about partition magic [rescue disks]? These
    > programs aren't related to it being USB. I'm not even sure if it sees
    > USB. But either way this isn't a good solution..IF peopel can instal
    > standard software and access the partition with no password
    >

    > <snip>

    Yes; that is one of the DOS programs i was alluding to.

    DOS programs are not "installed", and all of the ones i talked about
    *must* be booted in plain jane DOS.
    I repeat, if a partition is hidden, it is inaccessable.
    This "solution" is not easy or pretty, but is workable - especially
    with some care.
    That care comes with absolute control of these DOS programs that can
    hide / unhide a partition.

    I could be nastier with the DOS program i wrote, in that it would zap
    the partition sector - making the drive look totally empty to anything.
    The other half of the program would restore the partition sector.

    Robert Baer, Dec 17, 2006
  9. Ted C.

    Guest

    Robert Baer wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Robert Baer wrote:

    > >> Well...one can "hide" a partition and if that is done FDISK and AFAIK
    > >>no OS will see that partition.
    > >> That means you would have to fiddle with special software to "unhide"
    > >>that partition before using that drive, and re-hiding the partition
    > >>after use.

    > > <snip>
    > >
    > > what a joke!!! So if they have "partition magic" which is fairly
    > > standard, they can unhide the partition and see it.
    > >

    > >> Having it external and (presumedly) on USB does tend to help the
    > >>situation if you can manage to run that special software in your GUI OS,
    > >>as the only two programs i know of that will do that are DOS based and
    > >>one boots with a DOS floppy to run them.

    > > which programs?
    > > Are you still talking about partition magic [rescue disks]? These
    > > programs aren't related to it being USB. I'm not even sure if it sees
    > > USB. But either way this isn't a good solution..IF peopel can instal
    > > standard software and access the partition with no password
    > >

    > > <snip>
    > >

    > Yes; that is one of the DOS programs i was alluding to.
    >
    > DOS programs are not "installed",
    > and all of the ones i talked about
    > *must* be booted in plain jane DOS.
    > I repeat, if a partition is hidden, it is inaccessable.
    > This "solution" is not easy or pretty, but is workable - especially
    > with some care.
    > That care comes with absolute control of these DOS programs that can
    > hide / unhide a partition.

    it's easy even in PM for DOS. No commands necessary! you boot it and it
    has a GUI.

    > I could be nastier with the DOS program i wrote, in that it would zap
    > the partition sector - making the drive look totally empty to anything.
    > The other half of the program would restore the partition sector.

    where does one learn that stuff?

    wouldn't the largely interchangeable win9x's fdisk/mbr or win xp's
    FIXMBR restore it?

    <snip>
    , Dec 17, 2006
  10. Ted C.

    Robert Baer Guest

    wrote:
    > Robert Baer wrote:
    >
    >> wrote:

    >>><snip>
    >>>
    >>>what a joke!!! So if they have "partition magic" which is fairly
    >>>standard, they can unhide the partition and see it.

    >>>which programs?
    >>>Are you still talking about partition magic [rescue disks]? These
    >>>programs aren't related to it being USB. I'm not even sure if it sees
    >>>USB. But either way this isn't a good solution..IF peopel can instal
    >>>standard software and access the partition with no password
    >>>

    >>><snip>
    >>>

    >> Yes; that is one of the DOS programs i was alluding to.
    >>
    >> DOS programs are not "installed",
    >>and all of the ones i talked about
    >>*must* be booted in plain jane DOS.
    >> I repeat, if a partition is hidden, it is inaccessable.
    >> This "solution" is not easy or pretty, but is workable - especially
    >>with some care.
    >> That care comes with absolute control of these DOS programs that can
    >>hide / unhide a partition.

    > it's easy even in PM for DOS. No commands necessary! you boot it and it
    > has a GUI.
    >

    >> I could be nastier with the DOS program i wrote, in that it would zap
    >>the partition sector - making the drive look totally empty to anything.
    >> The other half of the program would restore the partition sector.
    >>

    > where does one learn that stuff?
    >
    > wouldn't the largely interchangeable win9x's fdisk/mbr or win xp's
    > FIXMBR restore it?
    >
    > <snip>

    Absolutely not "interchangeable".
    FDISK, if used to zap the partition(s), will also zap the directory
    area(s) and then essentially all is lost.
    Robert Baer, Dec 18, 2006
  11. Ted C.

    Guest

    Robert Baer wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > Robert Baer wrote:

    > >> Yes; that is one of the DOS programs i was alluding to.
    > >>
    > >> DOS programs are not "installed",
    > >>and all of the ones i talked about
    > >>*must* be booted in plain jane DOS.
    > >> I repeat, if a partition is hidden, it is inaccessable.
    > >> This "solution" is not easy or pretty, but is workable - especially
    > >>with some care.
    > >> That care comes with absolute control of these DOS programs that can
    > >>hide / unhide a partition.

    > > it's easy even in PM for DOS. No commands necessary! you boot it and it
    > > has a GUI.
    > >

    > >> I could be nastier with the DOS program i wrote, in that it would zap
    > >>the partition sector - making the drive look totally empty to anything.
    > >> The other half of the program would restore the partition sector.
    > >>

    > > where does one learn that stuff?
    > >
    > > wouldn't the largely interchangeable win9x's fdisk/mbr or win xp's
    > > FIXMBR restore it?
    > >
    > > <snip>
    > >

    > Absolutely not "interchangeable".
    > FDISK, if used to zap the partition(s), will also zap the directory
    > area(s) and then essentially all is lost.

    no it won't. Have you ever tried fdisk /mbr?

    and you didn't mention where you learnt about "zapping" the partition
    sector. Besides assembly, where did you learn how HDDs are organised?
    , Dec 18, 2006
  12. Ted C.

    Robert Baer Guest

    wrote:
    > Robert Baer wrote:
    >
    >> wrote:

    >>>it's easy even in PM for DOS. No commands necessary! you boot it and it
    >>>has a GUI.

    >>>where does one learn that stuff?
    >>>
    >>>wouldn't the largely interchangeable win9x's fdisk/mbr or win xp's
    >>>FIXMBR restore it?
    >>>
    >>><snip>
    >>>

    >> Absolutely not "interchangeable".
    >> FDISK, if used to zap the partition(s), will also zap the directory
    >>area(s) and then essentially all is lost.

    > no it won't. Have you ever tried fdisk /mbr?
    >
    > and you didn't mention where you learnt about "zapping" the partition
    > sector. Besides assembly, where did you learn how HDDs are organised?

    Where?
    By doing things like that with floppies before hard drives were
    affordable.
    The /mbr option was not available before WinDoze, and of the
    partition sector is gone, that option is useless.
    Robert Baer, Dec 19, 2006
  13. Ted C.

    Guest

    Robert Baer wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > Robert Baer wrote:

    > >> Absolutely not "interchangeable".
    > >> FDISK, if used to zap the partition(s), will also zap the directory
    > >>area(s) and then essentially all is lost.

    > > no it won't. Have you ever tried fdisk /mbr?
    > >
    > > and you didn't mention where you learnt about "zapping" the partition
    > > sector. Besides assembly, where did you learn how HDDs are organised?
    > >

    > Where?
    > By doing things like that with floppies before hard drives were
    > affordable.

    no book or resource then, ok.

    > The /mbr option was not available before WinDoze, and of the
    > partition sector is gone, that option is useless.

    who said otherwise?
    I was talking about fdisk /mbr, that doesn't remove anything, so won't
    remove the "partition sector".
    , Dec 19, 2006
  14. Ted C.

    Ted C. Guest

    A BIG thank you to all who replied.
    Thanks for your time.
    I haven't had time to do anything yet, but now I have options

    You're the greatest!

    Ted
    Ted C., Dec 20, 2006