    ..... what's a good make of (reliable) external hard drive (40 to 80
    gig) that can simply be plugged straight into a USB2 without needing a
    separate power suply.. (ie - takes its power straight from the USB)...
    advid, Feb 14, 2004

  2. advid

    Webrosita Guest

    Hi,

    Search under Pocked Hard Drive.
    LaCie for one makes a portable hard drive that is directly pluggable to the USB
    port.
    It is slower that self powered drives (4800 RPM) but very portable. You can
    find one with 40 GB capacity for about $200.

    Hope this helps
    Webrosita, Feb 15, 2004

  3. advid

    Jack Mac Guest

    On 15 Feb 2004 15:47:41 GMT, (Webrosita) wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >Search under Pocked Hard Drive.
    >LaCie for one makes a portable hard drive that is directly pluggable to the USB
    >port.
    >It is slower that self powered drives (4800 RPM) but very portable. You can
    >find one with 40 GB capacity for about $200.
    >
    >Hope this helps

    That's too much for a 40 GB drive. I bought a Western Digital 160 GB USB 2.0
    external for $179.95 at Sam's.

    Jack Mac
    Jack Mac, Feb 16, 2004
  4. advid

    Drifter Guest

    >On 15 Feb 2004 15:47:41 GMT, (Webrosita) wrote:
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>Search under Pocked Hard Drive.
    >>LaCie for one makes a portable hard drive that is directly pluggable to the USB
    >>port.
    >>It is slower that self powered drives (4800 RPM) but very portable. You can
    >>find one with 40 GB capacity for about $200.
    >>
    >>Hope this helps

    >That's too much for a 40 GB drive. I bought a Western Digital 160 GB USB 2.0
    > external for $179.95 at Sam's.
    >
    >Jack Mac

    Yes but yours isn't a "pocket drive". The OP wants a drive powered
    from the USB port, not one with an external power supply. I'm
    guessing that he's a "road warrior" and his laptop bag is getting too
    heavy <grin>.

    Drifter
    Drifter, Feb 16, 2004