    Phil B.

    --
    "

    Phil, May 12, 2005

  2. Phil

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Only if you plan on backing up the whole 120 gigs.

    pcbutts1, May 12, 2005

  3. Phil

    Billh Guest

    Phil wrote:
    > I have a 120GB hard drive with 5 partitions with about 25GB of data. I
    > would
    > like to get an external hard drive to backup on a regular basis. Do I need
    > 120GB or larger external due to the partitioning of the internal drive?
    >
    > Any recommendations as to what external drive to buy and backup software?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Phil B.

    I use Norton's Ghost to backup the harddrives in my computers. You can
    backup all the data and partitions on a 120 gig drive on to a smaller
    drive as you will only need the room for the data the partitions would
    be recreated if you ever needed to restore. Also there is some
    compression so you might get your 25 gigs down to 15 or so.

    As far as which one to buy I did my own I purchased an enclosure and put
    in a 120 gig hard drive. I use it to backup a 148gig drive and 2 40 gig
    drives. I have two images of each. So you see it is not the size of
    the drive but how much you need to backup.

    Make sure you get USB 2 or Firewire what ever your computer supports as
    USB 1.1 is going to be to slow to run a harddrive. It will work but
    will be real slow.

    Billh, May 12, 2005
  4. pcbutts1, <> wrote:

    > Only if you plan on backing up the whole 120 gigs.

    BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAH! You fucktard, plagiarist ****. He can backup the
    whole 25GB of data on his 125GB drive with everything else on all his
    partitions in less than 40GB.

    "pcbutts1" <> wrote in message

    > I have written well over 300 technical manuals on anything
    > from how to be a cab driver to nuclear power.

    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

    Teodor Komarowski, May 12, 2005
  5. Billh wrote:
    > Phil wrote:
    > > I have a 120GB hard drive with 5 partitions with about 25GB of

    data. I
    > > would
    > > like to get an external hard drive to backup on a regular basis. Do

    I need
    > > 120GB or larger external due to the partitioning of the internal

    drive?

    > > Any recommendations as to what external drive to buy and backup

    software?

    > > Thanks.
    > >
    > > Phil B.
    > >

    > I use Norton's Ghost to backup the harddrives in my computers. You

    can
    > backup all the data and partitions on a 120 gig drive on to a smaller

    > drive as you will only need the room for the data the partitions

    would
    > be recreated if you ever needed to restore. Also there is some
    > compression so you might get your 25 gigs down to 15 or so.
    >
    > As far as which one to buy I did my own I purchased an enclosure and

    put
    > in a 120 gig hard drive. I use it to backup a 148gig drive and 2 40

    gig
    > drives. I have two images of each. So you see it is not the size of

    > the drive but how much you need to backup.
    >
    > Make sure you get USB 2 or Firewire what ever your computer supports

    as
    > USB 1.1 is going to be to slow to run a harddrive. It will work but
    > will be real slow.

    Just wondering, did you manage to create a bootdisk that recognizes
    external USB disks?

    Jeroen

    Jeroen Wijnands, May 12, 2005
  6. Phil

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, Phil mused:

    | Any recommendations as to what external drive to buy and backup
    | software?

    I have an Iomega 160 GB USB drive that I use for backup. I bought
    Acronis True Image 8, and use it to backup my main computer (73 GB SATA,
    80 GB PATA drives), two laptops (20 GB total), and my boss's laptop (10
    GB). Obviously, none of those drives are at capacity, but Acronis will
    compress the data somewhat, so even of all drives were full, they would
    still fit on the 160 GB USB drive. You can also create a boot CD with
    True Image that will allow you to boot to the CD and create backups or
    restore (backups and restores can be performed within Windows as well).
    Images are browsable (within Windows) so you can extract individual
    files.

    mhicaoidh, May 12, 2005
  7. Phil

    Aquanaut Guest

    "Jeroen Wijnands" <> wrote in message

    > Billh wrote:
    >> Phil wrote:
    >> > I have a 120GB hard drive with 5 partitions with about 25GB of

    > data. I
    >> > would
    >> > like to get an external hard drive to backup on a regular basis. Do

    > I need
    >> > 120GB or larger external due to the partitioning of the internal

    > drive?
    >> >
    >> > Any recommendations as to what external drive to buy and backup

    > software?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks.
    >> >
    >> > Phil B.
    >> >

    >> I use Norton's Ghost to backup the harddrives in my computers. You

    > can
    >> backup all the data and partitions on a 120 gig drive on to a smaller

    >> drive as you will only need the room for the data the partitions

    > would
    >> be recreated if you ever needed to restore. Also there is some
    >> compression so you might get your 25 gigs down to 15 or so.
    >>
    >> As far as which one to buy I did my own I purchased an enclosure and

    > put
    >> in a 120 gig hard drive. I use it to backup a 148gig drive and 2 40

    > gig
    >> drives. I have two images of each. So you see it is not the size of

    >> the drive but how much you need to backup.
    >>
    >> Make sure you get USB 2 or Firewire what ever your computer supports

    > as
    >> USB 1.1 is going to be to slow to run a harddrive. It will work but
    >> will be real slow.

    > Just wondering, did you manage to create a bootdisk that recognizes
    > external USB disks?
    >
    > Jeroen

    Can only be done if your BIOS has the option to boot from USB a 98se
    floppy will then suffice

    Aquanaut, May 12, 2005
  8. Phil

    Steve Guest

    I bought an external 250GB disk from ALDI this Thursday for £100 and all
    that was necessary was to connect it to USB and power supply on WinXP which
    recognised it and I had access through Explorer (file manager)

    Steve, May 13, 2005