    How do I destroy the data that it holds.?

    Thanks,

    Michael
    Michael M, Apr 19, 2004

  2. Michael  M

    Seijaku Guest

    Take it apart, there will be a series of black discs inside... Unscrew the
    small screws securing them, and take them out, then soak them in iodine or
    nail-polish remover... Use sandpaper and mess up the surface of said
    discs... Files that were on it will now be un-readable.

    - Seijaku.

    "Michael M" <> wrote in message
    > I have win xp home. My external hard drive is broken and the cost to

    repair

    Seijaku, Apr 19, 2004

  3. Michael  M

    Jerry G. Guest

    If the drive is unusable, it is not working! This is the main reason to not
    worry.

    The cost of retrieval from the media is very high and very involved.
    Therefore, nobody would want to go in to it anyways, unless you were Fort
    Knocks, or had national security data on it!

    Just have some fun, and take the drive apart. This will give you something
    to do on a rainy day. I have taken the disks and made wall clocks out of
    them. You can go to WallMarts or any large hardware store, and buy cheap
    clock movements. With some innovation they can be mounted in to the centres
    of the disks from your hard drive. These cheap clock movements cost only
    about $3 to $5 each. I have done this to both scrapped CD disks, and the
    disks from hard drives.

    --

    Greetings,

    Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
    WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

    Jerry G., Apr 19, 2004
  4. Michael  M

    slumpy Guest

    ....and with no more than a cursory glance at the dead camel Michael M
    decided it was time to put the World to rights with this little gem:

    > I have win xp home. My external hard drive is broken and the cost to
    > repair it is not worth it.
    >

    > How do I destroy the data that it holds.?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Michael

    Give it to an infant. Guaranteed to destroy absolutely anything within 5
    minutes.
    --
    slumpy
    no more
    slumpy, Apr 19, 2004
  5. Michael  M

    ICee Guest

    Michael M wrote:
    > I have win xp home. My external hard drive is broken and the cost to
    > repair it is not worth it.
    >

    > How do I destroy the data that it holds.?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Michael

    Follow the directions here (same for any brand hard drive):
    http://www.flyinglizard.freeserve.co.uk/
    ICee, Apr 19, 2004
  6. Michael  M

    Yddap Guest

    In news:,
    ICee <> opined:
    > Michael M wrote:
    >> I have win xp home. My external hard drive is broken and the cost

    >> repair it is not worth it.
    >>

    >> How do I destroy the data that it holds.?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Michael

    > Follow the directions here (same for any brand hard drive):
    > http://www.flyinglizard.freeserve.co.uk/

    Much the same slumpys idea
    "Give it to an infant. Guaranteed to destroy absolutely anything
    within 5
    minutes."
    :)

    Yddap
    Yddap, Apr 19, 2004
  7. Michael  M

    Plato Guest

    Michael M wrote:

    > How do I destroy the data that it holds.?

    Tell your kid that there is a ten dollar bill inside.
    Plato, Apr 19, 2004
  8. Michael  M

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Jerry G." <> wrote in message
    > If the drive is unusable, it is not working! This is the main reason to

    not
    > worry.
    >
    > The cost of retrieval from the media is very high and very involved.
    > Therefore, nobody would want to go in to it anyways, unless you were Fort
    > Knocks, or had national security data on it!
    >
    > Just have some fun, and take the drive apart. This will give you something
    > to do on a rainy day. I have taken the disks and made wall clocks out of
    > them. You can go to WallMarts or any large hardware store, and buy cheap
    > clock movements. With some innovation they can be mounted in to the

    centres
    > of the disks from your hard drive. These cheap clock movements cost only
    > about $3 to $5 each. I have done this to both scrapped CD disks, and the
    > disks from hard drives.

    Cool! I've made a bunch of windchimes out of mine...nice ringing sound!
    Using the various spacer rings as decorative pieces in the hanging strings
    and mixing platters from multiple drives (3-1/2 and 5-1/4) spice it up real
    nice.
    Toolman Tim, Apr 20, 2004
  9. Michael  M

    ICee Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:
    > "Jerry G." <> wrote in message
    >> If the drive is unusable, it is not working! This is the main reason
    >> to not worry.
    >>
    >> The cost of retrieval from the media is very high and very involved.
    >> Therefore, nobody would want to go in to it anyways, unless you were
    >> Fort Knocks, or had national security data on it!
    >>
    >> Just have some fun, and take the drive apart. This will give you
    >> something to do on a rainy day. I have taken the disks and made
    >> wall clocks out of them. You can go to WallMarts or any large
    >> hardware store, and buy cheap clock movements. With some innovation
    >> they can be mounted in to the centres of the disks from your hard
    >> drive. These cheap clock movements cost only about $3 to $5 each. I
    >> have done this to both scrapped CD disks, and the disks from hard
    >> drives.
    >>

    > Cool! I've made a bunch of windchimes out of mine...nice ringing
    > sound! Using the various spacer rings as decorative pieces in the
    > hanging strings and mixing platters from multiple drives (3-1/2 and
    > 5-1/4) spice it up real nice.

    You get a nice low frequency ring when you use 12" (circa 1980)
    platters. :)
    ICee, Apr 20, 2004
  10. Toolman Tim wrote:

    > "Jerry G." <> wrote in message
    >
    >>If the drive is unusable, it is not working! This is the main reason to

    > not
    >
    >>worry.
    >>
    >>The cost of retrieval from the media is very high and very involved.
    >>Therefore, nobody would want to go in to it anyways, unless you were Fort
    >>Knocks, or had national security data on it!
    >>
    >>Just have some fun, and take the drive apart. This will give you something
    >>to do on a rainy day. I have taken the disks and made wall clocks out of
    >>them. You can go to WallMarts or any large hardware store, and buy cheap
    >>clock movements. With some innovation they can be mounted in to the

    > centres
    >
    >>of the disks from your hard drive. These cheap clock movements cost only
    >>about $3 to $5 each. I have done this to both scrapped CD disks, and the
    >>disks from hard drives.
    >>

    > Cool! I've made a bunch of windchimes out of mine...nice ringing sound!
    > Using the various spacer rings as decorative pieces in the hanging strings
    > and mixing platters from multiple drives (3-1/2 and 5-1/4) spice it up real
    > nice.

    Try fixing them to a nice slow-turning motor. Rotate them just under a
    sheet of opaque acetate,stretched on a frame. Add to the top of the
    sheet a couple of handfulls of iron filings. OOOOh! Aren't the
    patterns pretty - you can watch your data go round.
    =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=, Apr 20, 2004
  11. ICee wrote:

    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    >
    >>"Jerry G." <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>If the drive is unusable, it is not working! This is the main reason
    >>>to not worry.
    >>>
    >>>The cost of retrieval from the media is very high and very involved.
    >>>Therefore, nobody would want to go in to it anyways, unless you were
    >>>Fort Knocks, or had national security data on it!
    >>>
    >>>Just have some fun, and take the drive apart. This will give you
    >>>something to do on a rainy day. I have taken the disks and made
    >>>wall clocks out of them. You can go to WallMarts or any large
    >>>hardware store, and buy cheap clock movements. With some innovation
    >>>they can be mounted in to the centres of the disks from your hard
    >>>drive. These cheap clock movements cost only about $3 to $5 each. I
    >>>have done this to both scrapped CD disks, and the disks from hard
    >>>drives.
    >>>

    >>Cool! I've made a bunch of windchimes out of mine...nice ringing
    >>sound! Using the various spacer rings as decorative pieces in the
    >>hanging strings and mixing platters from multiple drives (3-1/2 and
    >>5-1/4) spice it up real nice.

    > You get a nice low frequency ring when you use 12" (circa 1980)
    > platters. :)

    Those make great frisbees....
    =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=, Apr 20, 2004
  12. Michael  M

    Seijaku Guest

    I used mine for coffee-cup mats, originally. Now, I have about 80 of them,
    and they've been turned in to a tinted mirror for a female geek friend :D

    - Seijaku.

    Seijaku, Apr 21, 2004