    to power up so I can transfer the data off of it and then toss the
    defective drive?
    , Jun 7, 2006

  2. beenthere Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have a 250GB "Platinum" 3.5" hard drive that I have put into three
    > different external hard drive cases and it will not power up. Other
    > drives I put in the external drives work fine. A local data recovery
    > firm wants $400 to $800 to "recover" the drive. It has all my music on
    > it so I am looking for a less expensive solution. I have a blank 250GB
    > WD drive ready to copy the data to. Any ideas on how to get the drive
    > to power up so I can transfer the data off of it and then toss the
    > defective drive?

    Install the drive as a Slave device straight into your computer.
    Put PCI recovery on your OS drive.
    http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/UK/welcome.htm
    And let it recover what it can.

    --
    bw..OJ
    beenthere, Jun 7, 2006

  3. SgtMinor Guest

    wrote:
    > I have a 250GB "Platinum" 3.5" hard drive that I have put into three
    > different external hard drive cases and it will not power up. Other
    > drives I put in the external drives work fine. A local data recovery
    > firm wants $400 to $800 to "recover" the drive. It has all my music on
    > it so I am looking for a less expensive solution. I have a blank 250GB
    > WD drive ready to copy the data to. Any ideas on how to get the drive
    > to power up so I can transfer the data off of it and then toss the
    > defective drive?

    Is the drive not spinning up, or does it and you can't get it to
    read the data?

    Some ideas: http://www.deadharddrive.com/
    And then there's this old list of remedies:
    http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-1035_11-5029761.html
    SgtMinor, Jun 7, 2006
  4. Thip Guest

    "beenthere" <> wrote in message

    > Install the drive as a Slave device straight into your computer.
    > Put PCI recovery on your OS drive.
    > http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/UK/welcome.htm
    > And let it recover what it can.
    >
    > --
    > bw..OJ

    "PC INSPECTORT File Recovery 4.x cannot help if you have mechanical problems
    with the disk drive..."
    Thip, Jun 7, 2006
  5. On Wed, 07 Jun 2006 08:37:56 -0700, wrote:

    > I have a 250GB "Platinum" 3.5" hard drive that I have put into three
    > different external hard drive cases and it will not power up. Other drives
    > I put in the external drives work fine. A local data recovery firm wants
    > $400 to $800 to "recover" the drive. It has all my music on it so I am
    > looking for a less expensive solution. I have a blank 250GB WD drive ready
    > to copy the data to. Any ideas on how to get the drive to power up so I
    > can transfer the data off of it and then toss the defective drive?

    Will it power up with a PC power supply?

    Chuck Lysaght, Jun 8, 2006