    because of an I/O error.". I ran the Maxtor diagnostics-no help. Any other
    suggestions on what I can try to correct this problem before I send this hd
    to a professional. Thanks in advance.
    bhobit, Apr 3, 2007

  2. bhobit

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 17:15:34 +0000, bhobit wrote:

    > I have a Maxtor one touch external hard drive. My Computer recognizes the
    > drive, but when I try to access the info I am unable to. The error message
    > I receive is "E:\ is not accessible. The request could not be performed
    > because of an I/O error.". I ran the Maxtor diagnostics-no help. Any other
    > suggestions on what I can try to correct this problem before I send this hd
    > to a professional. Thanks in advance.

    Try plugging in a different USB port with a different cable.

    #1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
    #1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
    #1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
    #10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
    COOSN-266-06-25794
    Meat Plow, Apr 3, 2007

  3. bhobit

    Spook Guest

    "bhobit" <> wrote in message
    >I have a Maxtor one touch external hard drive. My Computer recognizes the
    >drive, but when I try to access the info I am unable to. The error message
    >I receive is "E:\ is not accessible. The request could not be performed
    >because of an I/O error.". I ran the Maxtor diagnostics-no help. Any other
    >suggestions on what I can try to correct this problem before I send this hd
    >to a professional. Thanks in advance.

    Read this:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323754/en-us

    And if your OS is XP, you have upgraded to SP2? If not then do so.
    Spook, Apr 3, 2007
  4. bhobit

    bhobit Guest

    I have tried new cables, new port and I am running XP SP2.

    bhobit, Apr 3, 2007
  5. bhobit

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 21:32:41 +0000, bhobit wrote:

    > I have tried new cables, new port and I am running XP SP2.

    If it were mine I would remove it from its enclosure and try it inside a
    PC with a spare IDE cable. If you can read it in that situation then it's
    the case and/or power supply.

    #1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
    #1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
    #1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
    #10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
    COOSN-266-06-25794