    Thank you in advance,
    Joe

    , Sep 5, 2005

  2. Render Me Guest

    if you have USB2 it matters.....transfer rate on USB 1 is painfully slow.

    Render Me, Sep 5, 2005

  3. Mitch Guest

    In article <>,
    <> wrote:

    > Hello,
    > I have a Toshiba A-45 Satelite laptop computer with a 40 Gig HD which is
    > getting close to full. I have begun doing a little bit of video editing
    > using Pinnacle 9 Plus. I want to buy an external HD with at least 80 gigs
    > just for use in my editing. There seem to be two types out there. the USB-2
    > and the Firewire versions. I don't know much about external hard drives but
    > from what I can tell, both will transfer data at about 480 megabites per
    > second. So, would one be any better than the other? I do have a firewire
    > port via a IEEE 1394 Firewire Notebook card and, of course, I also have a
    > USB port. I see there are external hard drives with both types of
    > connections included within the same device. If I bought one of these
    > devices, would firewire be a better choice over USB or would it even matter?

    As I understand it, USB hits the processor. That's a slowdown, at least
    when you are doing other things with the processor.
    Firewire 400 is faster than USB 2 (nominally 480), but Firewire 800 is
    the current version if you are looking for speed.
    If you have video equipment, you want to deal with Firewire.
    If you want to move your storage between different machines, USB is
    more common. Or those dual-connection drives.

    Mitch, Sep 6, 2005
  4. On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 18:11:58 GMT, wrote:

    >Hello,
    >I have a Toshiba A-45 Satelite laptop computer with a 40 Gig HD which is
    >getting close to full. I have begun doing a little bit of video editing
    >using Pinnacle 9 Plus. I want to buy an external HD with at least 80 gigs
    >just for use in my editing. There seem to be two types out there. the USB-2
    >and the Firewire versions. I don't know much about external hard drives but
    >from what I can tell, both will transfer data at about 480 megabites per
    >second. So, would one be any better than the other? I do have a firewire
    >port via a IEEE 1394 Firewire Notebook card and, of course, I also have a
    >USB port. I see there are external hard drives with both types of
    >connections included within the same device. If I bought one of these
    >devices, would firewire be a better choice over USB or would it even matter?
    >

    >Thank you in advance,
    >Joe

    >http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
    >----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----

    I suggest you go with a USB2 enclosure. There is virtually no
    difference in the transfer rate between USB2 and firewire, certainly
    not for practical purposes. With respect to transfer speeds, you will
    not get anything close to the 'posted' transfer speed of either
    protocol and there is nothing you can do about that. With respect to
    the latest firewire, firewire 800 I think, you will not have that
    capability on your machine so that is irrelevant.

    Addressing the 'dual' enclosure (firewire+USB), this type of enclosure
    is considerably more expensive than USB2 enclosures. Unless you have
    a very specific reason for connecting to the firewire port on your
    machine in preference to the USB port, the additional expense is not
    justified.

    Finally, I suggest you purchase the enclosure and HDD separately and
    assemble yoursel. This is considerably less expensive than buying a
    ready assembled rig.

    Edward W. Thompson, Sep 6, 2005