    Any ideas what could be wrong and how to rectify it.

    Thanks
    Joe

    Joe, Feb 6, 2008

  2. Joe

    richard Guest

    On Wed, 06 Feb 2008 00:24:21 GMT, "Joe"
    <> wrote:

    >I have a Philiips portable HDD which I've had for a short while to store
    >music files on.
    >
    >Today, I plugged it into my laptop via USB and although the light on the HDD
    >flashes and I can hear a whirl, an icon showing the drive doesn't appear on
    >my laptop.
    >
    >For the record, I plugged the HDD into an Apple Mac at work and it was fine.
    >
    >Any ideas what could be wrong and how to rectify it.
    >
    >Thanks
    >Joe

    Open device manager and check to be sure no red x appears at the usb
    point or hdd point. If one does, click it open and enable it.

    richard, Feb 6, 2008

  3. Joe

    Guest

    On Feb 6, 1:32 am, richard <> wrote:
    > On Wed, 06 Feb 2008 00:24:21 GMT, "Joe"
    >
    > <> wrote:
    > >I have a Philiips portable HDD which I've had for a short while to store
    > >music files on.

    > >Today, I plugged it into my laptop via USB and although the light on the HDD
    > >flashes and I can hear a whirl, an icon showing the drive doesn't appear on
    > >my laptop.

    > >For the record, I plugged the HDD into an Apple Mac at work and it was fine.

    > >Any ideas what could be wrong and how to rectify it.

    > >Thanks
    > >Joe

    > Open device manager and check to be sure no red x appears at the usb
    > point or hdd point. If one does, click it open and enable it.

    Agreed, also check Admin tools > computer management > disk management
    to make sure its been mounted, it might have just not been assigned a
    drive letter.

    http://socnetreview.awardspace.com/ - Social networking reviews and
    previews.

    , Feb 6, 2008
  4. Joe

    rick Guest

    On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 20:32:42 -0500, richard <>
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 06 Feb 2008 00:24:21 GMT, "Joe"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>I have a Philiips portable HDD which I've had for a short while to store
    >>music files on.
    >>
    >>Today, I plugged it into my laptop via USB and although the light on the HDD
    >>flashes and I can hear a whirl, an icon showing the drive doesn't appear on
    >>my laptop.
    >>
    >>For the record, I plugged the HDD into an Apple Mac at work and it was fine.
    >>
    >>Any ideas what could be wrong and how to rectify it.
    >>
    >>Thanks
    >>Joe
    >>

    >Open device manager and check to be sure no red x appears at the usb
    >point or hdd point. If one does, click it open and enable it.

    It also could be pulling to much power from the usb port. With a lap
    top it may require a double plug from the hard drive into two usb
    ports. Are you using it with a external power supply for the
    portable?

    snap

    rick, Feb 7, 2008
  5. Joe

    Joe Guest

    "rick" <snappy@made_up_name.net> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 20:32:42 -0500, richard <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 06 Feb 2008 00:24:21 GMT, "Joe"
    >><> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have a Philiips portable HDD which I've had for a short while to store
    >>>music files on.
    >>>
    >>>Today, I plugged it into my laptop via USB and although the light on the
    >>>HDD
    >>>flashes and I can hear a whirl, an icon showing the drive doesn't appear
    >>>on
    >>>my laptop.
    >>>
    >>>For the record, I plugged the HDD into an Apple Mac at work and it was
    >>>fine.
    >>>
    >>>Any ideas what could be wrong and how to rectify it.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks
    >>>Joe
    >>>

    >>Open device manager and check to be sure no red x appears at the usb
    >>point or hdd point. If one does, click it open and enable it.

    > It also could be pulling to much power from the usb port. With a lap
    > top it may require a double plug from the hard drive into two usb
    > ports. Are you using it with a external power supply for the
    > portable?
    >
    > snap

    Device Manager is all present and correct.

    The lead does have a double plug which I've used in the past, I'm not using
    an external power supply.

    I forgot to add that when I remove the USB cables I momentarily get a flash
    of the drive appearing!

    Joe

    Joe, Feb 7, 2008