    This is very worrying as the disk holds a lot of irriplacable documents and
    photos.

    thanks sincerly in anticipation....

    the_niner_nation, Apr 6, 2006

  2. the_niner_nation

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:44344ee7$0$28343$,
    the_niner_nation spewed forth:
    > I have an external 300gb maxtor one touch II hard drive for my PC (
    > running xp home) and now , my pc dosnt let me access it, saying that it is
    > an
    > "
    > operation has been cancelled due to restrictions on my computer,
    > contact your system administrator"
    >
    > I am the only person that uses this computer and my ststus is
    > administrator...how do i re-enable my hard drive?
    > This is very worrying as the disk holds a lot of irriplacable
    > documents and photos.
    >
    > thanks sincerly in anticipation....
    >

    > *** Free account sponsored by SecureIX.com ***
    > *** Encrypt your Internet usage with a free VPN account from
    > http://www.SecureIX.com ***

    Oh and you had all your eggs in the one basket, huh?

    --
    My wife and I divorced over religious differences. She thought she was
    God and I didn't.
    Toolman Tim, Apr 6, 2006

  3. "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    > In news:44344ee7$0$28343$,
    > the_niner_nation spewed forth:
    >> I have an external 300gb maxtor one touch II hard drive for my PC (
    >> running xp home) and now , my pc dosnt let me access it, saying that it
    >> is an
    >> "
    >> operation has been cancelled due to restrictions on my computer,
    >> contact your system administrator"
    >>
    >> I am the only person that uses this computer and my ststus is
    >> administrator...how do i re-enable my hard drive?
    >> This is very worrying as the disk holds a lot of irriplacable
    >> documents and photos.
    >>
    >> thanks sincerly in anticipation....
    >>

    >> *** Free account sponsored by SecureIX.com ***
    >> *** Encrypt your Internet usage with a free VPN account from
    >> http://www.SecureIX.com ***

    > Oh and you had all your eggs in the one basket, huh?

    No..but enough for me to be concerned.

    the_niner_nation, Apr 6, 2006
  4. the_niner_nation

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:44345246$0$28487$,
    the_niner_nation spewed forth:
    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >> In news:44344ee7$0$28343$,
    >> the_niner_nation spewed forth:
    >>> I have an external 300gb maxtor one touch II hard drive for my PC (
    >>> running xp home) and now , my pc dosnt let me access it, saying
    >>> that it is an
    >>> "
    >>> operation has been cancelled due to restrictions on my computer,
    >>> contact your system administrator"
    >>>
    >>> I am the only person that uses this computer and my ststus is
    >>> administrator...how do i re-enable my hard drive?
    >>> This is very worrying as the disk holds a lot of irriplacable
    >>> documents and photos.
    >>>
    >>> thanks sincerly in anticipation....
    >>>

    >> Oh and you had all your eggs in the one basket, huh?
    >>

    > No..but enough for me to be concerned.

    Well, that's honest <g>

    Have you tried connecting it to a different PC to see if you can access it?

    Toolman Tim, Apr 6, 2006
  5. ">>>> I have an external 300gb maxtor one touch II hard drive for my PC (

    >>> Oh and you had all your eggs in the one basket, huh?
    >>>

    >> No..but enough for me to be concerned.
    >>

    > Well, that's honest <g>
    >
    > Have you tried connecting it to a different PC to see if you can access
    > it?

    Yes..it worked fine on my laptop...but not on my desk top...can't undertsand
    why :-|

    the_niner_nation, Apr 6, 2006
  6. the_niner_nation

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:443455fe$0$28382$,
    the_niner_nation spewed forth:
    > ">>>> I have an external 300gb maxtor one touch II hard drive for my
    > PC (

    >>> No..but enough for me to be concerned.
    >>>

    >> Well, that's honest <g>
    >>
    >> Have you tried connecting it to a different PC to see if you can
    >> access it?
    >>

    > Yes..it worked fine on my laptop...but not on my desk top...can't
    > undertsand why :-|

    Have you tried booting in Safe Mode and checking? (Just going thru the
    things I'd try...)

    Toolman Tim, Apr 6, 2006
  7. the_niner_nation

    SgtMinor Guest

    the_niner_nation wrote:
    > I have an external 300gb maxtor one touch II hard drive for my PC ( running
    > xp home) and now , my pc dosnt let me access it, saying that it is an "
    >
    > operation has been cancelled due to restrictions on my computer, contact
    > your system administrator"
    >
    > I am the only person that uses this computer and my ststus is
    > administrator...how do i re-enable my hard drive?
    > This is very worrying as the disk holds a lot of irriplacable documents and
    > photos.
    >
    > thanks sincerly in anticipation....
    >

    > *** Free account sponsored by SecureIX.com ***
    > *** Encrypt your Internet usage with a free VPN account from http://www.SecureIX.com ***

    Google with that error message and you'll find articles like these
    from the MSKB:

    "Error Message: This Operation Has Been Cancelled Due to
    Restrictions in Effect on This Computer"
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=278839&sd=RMVP

    "Users report the following error: “This operation has been
    cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please
    contact your system administrator.”

    This error message occurs because User Restrictions is configured
    to block access to the C: drive and the user’s profile is stored
    on the C: drive. The error appears when Windows Explorer attempts
    to access special folders (such as My Documents and My Music) that
    are located on that drive. To resolve this problem, remove the
    Windows Explorer shortcut from the Start menu and replace it with
    a shortcut to My Computer. "
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/sct/scthch08.mspx

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=178723
    SgtMinor, Apr 6, 2006