External Hard Drive for backing up simple home network - recommendations

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by cymbalzzz, Jun 30, 2006.

  1. cymbalzzz

    cymbalzzz Guest

    I have searched the newsgroups, and I cannot find a simple answer to my
    situation.

    I have two Dell Inspiron laptops in two bedrooms/home offices (mine and
    my husband's). We share a DSL connection via a Linksys Wireless router
    and internal wireless cards on the laptops/notebooks. I do have shared
    folders set up on each laptop, simply for the convenience of not having
    to have duplicate folders on each machine, since we work together (ugh)
    and access some of the same files. I also have the B&W laser printer
    in his office set to share so I can use it, and the same for the color
    laser printer in my office, so he can access it.

    I have recently migrated all of my iTunes/music files to his computer,
    since mine was beginning to run low on HD space, and his has plenty.

    I'm getting nervous about backing up. My several attempts to do so via
    DVD and various software package evaulations have been dismal. I've
    decided I need to go the route of an external hard drive.

    My question: I don't fully understand the
    purposes/capabilities/requirements/benefits of NAS external drives
    versus plain 'ole external hard drives. I don't need to move the files
    to the external drive for dual access; I simply want to make backing up
    both these machines simple as possible. Do I need a network external
    hard drive? If so, that's fine, and I'll buy one today. If I buy a
    plain 'ole external hard drive, will I run into problems backing up his
    machine too? (I don't want to physically move this thing -- I want to
    set it up and push a button and forget it -- and set it up to backup
    both machines each night or every couple of days. Does an NAS offer me
    any benefits which might be attractive? I am looking to buy at least
    400 gb and perhaps 500, since my music collection is getting rather
    large, and I plan on beginning a huge photo archival project in the
    very near future. I worry about hurricane season being upon us again
    and not having my disaster plan down pat.

    I certainly appreciate any insight/help anyone might give me -- or any
    direction/links to lead me to a source of information.

    Thanks!
    Sara in Cajun Country.
    cymbalzzz, Jun 30, 2006

  2. cymbalzzz

    Guest

    On 30-Jun-2006, "cymbalzzz" <> wrote:

    > I certainly appreciate any insight/help anyone might give me -- or any
    > direction/links to lead me to a source of information.

    You could choose USB external drives, I like the
    principle of 2 independent copies. With the drives switched
    off there is no way that a destructive virus or system
    malfunction can wipe everything.
    In too many cases the tale of woe is my drive(s) are
    unreadable.
    Switched off is less wear on the drives. I keep one remote,
    as protection against fire, flood, theft, lightning strike,
    and I rotate the backup drives.
    With a C:\ XP drive, and a D:\ data drive, I use Ghost to
    backup the XP drive, and FileBack V4.0 to backup the
    data drive to a folder called D. the drive hierachy of
    files is retained, uncompressed or altered, if
    it came to the worst case scenario the data could
    be read by any (or a replacement) PC.
    If you have to replace the PC you can buy one
    over the counter, with XP and a basic software suite
    pre-installed, plug into the USB and you can access
    everything. I wouldn't in a crisis want to struggle with
    getting NAS working, hoping that the data could be
    accessed.
    I chose 250GB Diamond Max 10's but you can
    choose any size, some ready built external USB
    drives come with backup software, but I bought
    the drives and enclosures separately.
    Note that first generation PATA drives aren't exactly
    fast, there are now faster PATA drives, even so a
    300GB backup would take some time
    Whatever you go for check out how long a 300GB
    backup will take.
    I've had two total drive failures, and one a dying fast
    of bad sectors. One was an IBM Deathstar.
    I need to recover reliably and quickly from
    catastrophy. Yes I've tested the restore of both
    OS and data. An OS restore to different HW
    isn't always successful, XP may boot, find new
    hardware and sort itself out, but it might not.
    So my plan covers the not.
    , Jun 30, 2006

  3. RE: External Hard Drive for backing up simple home network - recommend

    Here's the way I do it.

    At home, I have a laptop, and my wife uses a desktop, both connected to a
    router wirelessly, and we use these machines to enter data. Then we have a
    third desktop we keep on from 5:00AM to 9:30PM wired to the router.

    This third PC serves as a "data server" as data entered on the first two is
    "saved" on this one, and acts as a print server as the laser is hooked up to
    it, though one other machine has a "color printer" and can be used by any PC
    in the network. In addition, the third PC has "remote access" via GoToMyPC
    and I can access any files on the road. And because all the data is on this
    third machine, I have a USB external backup drive hooked up to it, and I used
    Norton Ghost 9.0 to do weekly complete backups, and daily incremental.

    I thought of going the route of Network drives and Network printers. But,
    because the two working machines are connected to the server wirelessly, I
    did a test backing up 20 Gigs of data from the remote laptop to the server
    machine wirelessly, and it took almost 4 hours. When the USB drive was hooked
    up directly to the laptop, backing up 20 Gigs took a lilttle over an hour.

    Because I envisioned storing up to 100Gigs of data or more eventually
    because of music files, photo albums etc, I couldn't picture transferring
    data wirelessly for 20 hours each time to do a backup, as 20 Gigs now takes 4
    hours. And 200 Gigs of data would take 40 hours!!!

    One way I was going to do it is entering data and having saving the data on
    a network drive (rather than the third PC), and then backing up the network
    drive to a second drive. But having a 3rd PC instead of the drive, I'm able
    to use it also for remote access, and as a print server.

    In conclusion, in you situation, I would enter data through the laptops,
    save the data onto a Network drive, then backup the network drive. In my
    case, I found that I can do this the best if the network drive was a third PC
    when I can backup data on this machine direct to a USB drive, and allow me to
    do remote access.

    And I have this machine wake up 5:00AM each morning th do jobs like baqckups
    so it is free when I get up.

    =?Utf-8?B?RnJhbmtDaGlu?=, Jul 1, 2006
  4. cymbalzzz

    cymbalzzz Guest

    Re: External Hard Drive for backing up simple home network - recommend

    And I may have confused the issue with a typo in my original post,
    wherein I wrote:

    > > I am looking to buy at least 400 gb and perhaps 500, since my music collection is getting rather large, and I plan on beginning a huge photo archival project in the
    > > very near future.

    What I meant to say is:

    "I am looking to buy at least 400 gb OR perhaps 500...."

    I really only want one unit to accomplish this. I don't want an
    external HD on each laptop, but rather one central unit.

    I like the idea of a third computer as a "data server" of sorts, but
    I'm afraid space constraits will be prohibitive in this instance. I'm
    wondering if this:
    http://www.buffalotech.com/products/product-detail.php?productid=154&categoryid=34
    wouldn't be a way for me to go...although I get the feeling I'm missing
    or overstepping a step here, since I don't particularly need the HD to
    act as a network storage server -- just a better way to back up.

    But I may be confusing myself. When the get-the-Hell-outta-Dodge
    evacuation orders come, I don't want to be digging around for DVDs to
    make sure I have the ones with My Documents and the ones with iTunes,
    etc. I guess I want to just grab up the HD and go. But I do
    understand that even the external HD will need an "insurance policy" of
    its own in the way of backing up of it. I've just ordered a new laptop
    with 100gb HD. Perhaps part of that can act as yet another layer of
    protection. ??? Maybe just DVDs of the most critical things in the
    case of worst-case-scenario: My Documents on one set; iTunes on
    another; and a set of copies of the disks for my program files?

    Yep. I'm confusing myself. I appreciate everyone's help!

    ~Sara
    cymbalzzz, Jul 1, 2006
  5. cymbalzzz

    Guest

    On 1-Jul-2006, "cymbalzzz" <> wrote:

    > I really only want one unit to accomplish this. I don't want an
    > external HD on each laptop, but rather one central unit.

    I did suggest the external USB drive, this can be used,
    if the drive is big enough, to back up more than one PC.
    Just put the backups into individual folders. Of course
    each PC needs to have backup software.
    I use two external 250GB USB drives, one kept remote,
    and rotated. If they fill up I'll buy bigger, prices
    will have dropped. I back up two systems.
    , Jul 1, 2006
  6. Re: External Hard Drive for backing up simple home network - recom

    It was a long post, but towards the end, I said:

    "In conclusion, in you situation, I would enter data through the laptops,
    save the data onto a Network drive, then backup the network drive...."

    which is exactly what was shown in the diagram in the link you pointed to.
    You save the data on the Network HD abd additionally backup it up to a
    second drive, which could be the USB external drive.

    The "third PC" that I utilize is important because:

    - If the HD crashes there's no guaranty that you can quickly boot up a
    replacement HD and do a flawless restore from image files.
    - You may not even want to do an image restore if your PC is slowed down by
    spyware, malware etc. You may have to install the OS, reinstall all your
    software, and then the data separately.
    - And then how is it that you can even remember what software you have
    installed, and what configuration you have it set at.

    In my setup, ALL major software is installed on my laptop, my wife's
    desktop, and this third PC, that also acts as "an extra" PC that swings into
    service immediately. For instance, I bought myself TWO licenses for
    Quickbooks, and installed the software on all three PC's, and if my wife's
    desktop crashes, she can begin working on the third PC immediately, or on my
    laptop. If this was April 14, taxes are due, there's no time to go shop for a
    HD and figure out a restore strategy.

    In fact, any one PC in the group cna stand in for any of the other two, as
    all necessary software is installed on all three.

    Because software installed are identical, and there's an extra PC:

    - I can take my time to shop for the replacement HD, not panic, or a
    replacement PC.
    - I can chose to reinstall my software, and check out how I installed in on
    the other PC's.

    In a backup situation, you'll have to envision what is involved in the
    restore process, and problems that may arise if the backup dataset is
    unusable.

    By the way, besides using Norton's Ghost 9.00 to create an image file
    weekly, and daily incremental of the entire HD, I also do an "XCOPY" of the
    data in "My Documents", assuming that when push comes to shove, the image
    file has problems.

    Additionally, I subscribe to an "Online" data storage service, for
    $14.95/month, for up to 10 Gigs of data, so in the case of Hurricane or
    fire, data on the external drive would be flooded or burnt along with the
    rest of my equipment.

    =?Utf-8?B?RnJhbmtDaGlu?=, Jul 1, 2006
  7. cymbalzzz

    Guest

    Re: External Hard Drive for backing up simple home network - recom

    I'm not sure it's appropriate to add this story here... but there was a
    mention of using Go To My PC for this sort of function and I thought my
    experience might be of interest:

    I started using GoToMyPC in September 2004. It was an excellent
    product and did exactly what I needed. I could control 65 PCs from a
    distance and help my clients, wherever they may be in the world,
    whenever they had a problem without having to leave my office. Having
    used PC AnyWhere for years I thought this was the greatest invention
    ever. I was paying "only" about US$ 700 per month for the 65 PCs and
    thought this was excellent value for the money.

    About 3 or 4 months ago (April 2006) I heard about Log Me In on a
    telelvision show on the BBC while travelling. I gave the free version a
    try first. I realised I could use the free version for about 20% of my
    needs right away. The greatest limitation of the free version is no
    file transfer. But I get around that generally with e-mail or
    something else if necessary. I then decided to try the Pro version for
    a month.

    The Pro version was a revolutionary awakening for me. The Pro version
    can do all sorts of thing Go To My PC doesn't. They've got this great
    Dashboard feature which allows me to see what's going on in the client
    computer without opening a remote control session. I can see the disk
    space, the memory and processor usage, the current processes and the
    event viewer. I can even go in and manage users, services, the
    registry, automatic logons and a whole lot of other stuff without
    bothering the user. The remote control system is seemless and offers a
    very nice Chat function (as does GoToMyPC) and a screen resolution
    management option which works great. The file transfer system in Log
    Me In uses a file synchronisation system so when I upload files to a
    given folder it only uploads those which have changed. This saves an
    awful lot of time on slow connections.

    The biggest difference for me is the management options. With GoToMyPC
    I have to use an e-mail address and a different password to connect to
    the client's computer. With 65 computers I ended up using the same
    password everywhere as it was impossible to remember the GoToMyPC
    password in addition to the user's password. With Log Me In it
    automatically uses the user's password on the computer. It even lets
    me use my user account on the user's computer, with my password,
    whenever I want. This is much more secure for me as I can change the
    windows password on the computer and Log Me In automatically uses the
    new password. The other management option is that I can give my
    assistant access to certain computers without giving him access to all.
    I can even allow a client to connect to their own computers throught
    he same account. I can see a connection log on every computer to see
    who accessed it when. I can't do this with Go To My PC. The last, and
    probably most useful, piece of equipment is the Network Console which
    Log Me In sells ($199 per machine one-time charge). This allows me to
    open one program and see all of the computers I can access on one
    screen. It saves the access information for me so all I have to do is
    choose a computer and I can remote control right away.

    As you can see I had made up my mind. Two months ago I moved all of my
    computers over to Log Me In. I am now paying Log Me In less than US$
    200 per month (over 70% less) and am overjoyed with the product and
    services.

    That should have been the end of this story and allowed me to simply
    compare products and have others benefit from my experience. I was
    astounded when I then went to Go To My PC to cancel my subscription. I
    had purchased a monthly subscription intentionally so as to be able to
    change whenever technology and competition changed as it always does.
    I was apparently mistaken. According to Go To My PC even though I pay
    monthly I signed on for an annual contract. I therefore am now paying
    Go To My PC US$ 700 per month for another 6 months (US$ 4,200) for
    absolutely nothing! Buyer beware!!!
    , Jul 3, 2006
  8. Re: External Hard Drive for backing up simple home network - recom

    Derek:

    Thanks for the info. I'm also a happy LogMeIn user.

    I have several PC's in the home network, plus several more at my business,
    not the number that you have to manage, I'm currently paying for 2 PC's on my
    GoToMyPC service and got 5 of my PC's, including the two that's got GoToMyPC
    on the LogMeIn "Basic service" that is available totally "free of charge".

    In fact I also appreciated that LogMeIn allowed me to evaluate their Pro
    service for a five PC plan free of charge for 30 days.

    I evaluated LogMeIn's Pro service, and I was not aware of all these other
    features you mentioned, as they have a level of service for IT professionals.
    During the evaluation period, there were times in the evening when the
    LogMeIn servers were busy, and GoTOMyPC was available all the time. Which is
    why I'm staying with GoToMyPC for another year, since availabilty in the
    evening hours of 7:00PM to 10PM is important to me, and the LogMeIn servers
    were busy..

    In fact, I'm currently on vacation, and using LogMeIn to access my Home
    Office and Business PC's because I'm uisng a relative's PC to access the
    interent rather than my own laptop. I didn't want to mess around with his
    cable modem and wiring. I even found the free service wonderful even though
    it does not transfer files or do remote printing.

    In fact, LoGmeIn also offer a backup service which I may be able to take
    advantage of and will check into. With PC's at home and at the office, I can
    backup files at home to the Business PC and visa versa. While I'm using an
    online service right now, the level of service is for up to 10 Gigs. Whereas
    with LogMeIn, the charges is not based on the amount of disk base I use.

    While this may not be as good as the online service for a disaster like
    hurricane Katrina that wiped up the entire city of New Orleans, it's still
    soemthing worth looking into for smaller disasters if the home and business
    is far enough apart.

    ":

    =?Utf-8?B?RnJhbmtDaGlu?=, Jul 3, 2006
  9. Re: External Hard Drive for backing up simple home network - recom

    "FrankChin" <> wrote in message
    > Derek:
    >
    > Thanks for the info. I'm also a happy LogMeIn user.
    >
    > I have several PC's in the home network, plus several more at my business,
    > not the number that you have to manage, I'm currently paying for 2 PC's on
    > my
    > GoToMyPC service and got 5 of my PC's, including the two that's got
    > GoToMyPC
    > on the LogMeIn "Basic service" that is available totally "free of charge".

    If you only have THAT many computers and not a huge amount, why would you
    not use UltraVNC? I currently use that to take over one PC from any other in
    my own network at home and have 5 computers wirelessly networked through a
    router/modem. Best of all, it's free.
    Diamontina Cocktail, Jul 3, 2006
  10. Re: External Hard Drive for backing up simple home network - recom

    "FrankChin" <> wrote in message
    > Derek:
    >
    > Thanks for the info. I'm also a happy LogMeIn user.

    Just went and had a look at LogMeIn. Now please take into account that this
    is the first time I have ever seen it so I am not meaning to sound like an
    expert on it but my big problem with this program is the insecurity inherent
    in it. You have to store, with another company, details of every computer
    you use/control? Given the problems found in other remote control programs,
    this one leaves me feeling exposed at the thought of it.

    So, having said that, I am asking if you had thought of that and what your
    thoughts on the issue may be. Thanks.
    Diamontina Cocktail, Jul 3, 2006
  11. cymbalzzz

    Guest

    FrankChin wrote:

    > I evaluated LogMeIn's Pro service, and I was not aware of all these other
    > features you mentioned, as they have a level of service for IT professionals.
    > During the evaluation period, there were times in the evening when the
    > LogMeIn servers were busy, and GoTOMyPC was available all the time. Which is
    > why I'm staying with GoToMyPC for another year, since availabilty in the
    > evening hours of 7:00PM to 10PM is important to me, and the LogMeIn servers
    > were busy..

    Frank we use Log Me In literally 24/7. I have people working for me
    around the world and my clients are around the world. No matter what
    solution we use it has to work 24/7. I have yet to have an occasion
    when I could not get through with Log Me In regardless of the time of
    day. To be fair I never experienced that sort of problem with Go To My
    PC either.

    > In fact, LoGmeIn also offer a backup service which I may be able to take
    > advantage of and will check into. With PC's at home and at the office, I can
    > backup files at home to the Business PC and visa versa. While I'm using an
    > online service right now, the level of service is for up to 10 Gigs. Whereas
    > with LogMeIn, the charges is not based on the amount of disk base I use.
    >
    > While this may not be as good as the online service for a disaster like
    > hurricane Katrina that wiped up the entire city of New Orleans, it's still
    > soemthing worth looking into for smaller disasters if the home and business
    > is far enough apart.

    I too am starting to look in to their backup service. What I find
    interesting is that you don't have to use their servers for this
    function. You can use your own Internet servers wherever they may be
    on the net.

    My major problem with most online backup systems I've worked with, and
    I haven't even started testing with Log Me In's Backup program yet, is
    that they upload an entire file if only a part of it has been modified.
    The vast majority of the backups I need to do include Outlook .PST
    files which can get to be absolutely enormous (up to 2 to 4 gigs in our
    case). I would love to find a program which only backs up the modified
    portion rather than the whole file as I obviously wouldn't be able to
    back that up regularly.
    , Jul 3, 2006
  12. cymbalzzz

    Guest

    Diamontina Cocktail wrote:

    > Just went and had a look at LogMeIn. Now please take into account that this
    > is the first time I have ever seen it so I am not meaning to sound like an
    > expert on it but my big problem with this program is the insecurity inherent
    > in it. You have to store, with another company, details of every computer
    > you use/control? Given the problems found in other remote control programs,
    > this one leaves me feeling exposed at the thought of it.

    I don't think you understand how it works. With Log Me In none of the
    user information is stored on any other computers. Log Me In allows
    the host computer to authenticate the information. Therefore it's the
    host's operating system which allows the client to connect only if the
    client enters a valid user name and password which exists on the host.
    The only place where this information is stored, if I want it to be
    (for ease of use), is in my copy of their console program on my desktop
    computer. Nothing is stored on Log Me In's computers.

    With Go To My PC however you have to assign a user name (e-mail
    address) and a password for each computer. Both the user name and
    password are stored on Go To My PC's servers and that it the
    information you have to enter each time you connect. If you change the
    user information on the host computer (Windows user name or password or
    network user name or password for example) that does not change the
    connection information stored on Go To My PC's servers and which must
    continue to be used for each connection until manually changed as well.

    > So, having said that, I am asking if you had thought of that and what your
    > thoughts on the issue may be.

    Security is my number one thought in anything having to do with
    Internet-connected computers. The thought had crossed my mind...

    Another interesting security point is the fact that all of the
    communication with Log Me In is 256-bit SSL encrypted. From what I can
    see on the Go To My PC web site their communication is protected by AES
    encryption and 128-bit keys.
    , Jul 3, 2006
  13. Re: External Hard Drive for backing up simple home network - recom

    That's something I planned to look into.

    Being a business owner for the last several years, I tried to stay away from
    spending too much time playing around with technical stuff if a commercial
    service is available, Being formerly a programmer, and IT support guy, I
    spend as little time as I can on tech stuff nowadays, since I wander off on
    tangents often, and wind up playing around with the stuff rather than getting
    it done quickly.

    In this case, I download some software, some configuation, and I'm done??
    I'll try it if I don't have to do too much research and promise not to play
    around.

    =?Utf-8?B?RnJhbmtDaGlu?=, Jul 4, 2006
  14. Re: External Hard Drive for backing up simple home network - recom

    "FrankChin" <> wrote in message

    > That's something I planned to look into.
    >
    > Being a business owner for the last several years, I tried to stay away
    > from
    > spending too much time playing around with technical stuff if a commercial
    > service is available, Being formerly a programmer, and IT support guy, I
    > spend as little time as I can on tech stuff nowadays, since I wander off
    > on
    > tangents often, and wind up playing around with the stuff rather than
    > getting
    > it done quickly.
    >
    > In this case, I download some software, some configuation, and I'm done??
    > I'll try it if I don't have to do too much research and promise not to
    > play
    > around.

    Yep. As you set UltraVNC up, it will complain that it doesn't have a server
    password and you get the chance to set it. That can be different per
    machine. then, you go either by IP number or machine name to control the
    machine you want to control. You need to install the server on any machine
    you want to be controlled from another and the viewer only on those machines
    that you do not want to be controlled but want to use to control others.

    On my wireless network, on the odd occasion due more to the fact that the
    particular machine may not have connected properly, UltraVNC doesn't find
    the machine. However, trying twice, it usually does. If it doesn't, you have
    a problem either at the machine you are on or the other machine with it
    connecting to the network. 2 of my machines don't actually have monitors
    attached so UltraVNC comes in real handy there. Saves buying a KVM switch.
    Diamontina Cocktail, Jul 4, 2006
  15. cymbalzzz

    Guest

    Re: External Hard Drive for backing up simple home network - recom

    Diamontina brings up a good point I forgot to mention...

    These remote control solutions replace KVM switches or multiple
    keyboards, mice and monitors.

    We use the free version of Log Me In to control quite a few of our
    servers within the same building. We have one keyboard, mouse and
    screen and about 5 servers (or more). We only work on the servers
    through Log Me In and only use the screen, keyboard and mouse if we
    actually have to do physical changes on the equipment.

    However I also use the full version of Log Me In to monitor my servers.
    I can see what's going on inside the servers from a distance. More
    interesting is that Log Me In monitoring allows the server to send me
    e-mail alerts whenever certain events occur... I could never figure
    out how to get Go To My PC to do this...
    , Jul 5, 2006