External hard drive - airport x-ray machines

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom.., May 1, 2007.

  1. Ok next question.
    I was looking at using memory stix to transfer files to before the
    computer goes in the housepack BUT the number I need and the cost had
    me looking at external hdd's instead. Overall, seems a less expensive
    method of being able to carry valuable files with me.

    I have 2 hdd on one machineand need to transfer between 40 and 60 gb
    in total from the two drives and an unknown amount on another machine.

    Now, the problem is I most likely will go through a total of 3 airport
    security checkpoints in the US [and 4 if AKL domestic has one as
    well].

    Will the contents be 'wiped' or not?
    Any precautions I should take - packaging to carry/turbulence; x-rays
    etc?

    This hdd will be in my briefcase [my carryons get gate checked for
    puddle jumper flights].

    Once the housepack/computers arrive in NZ safely, I won't need the hdd
    - just have too many valuable files i.e. medical, family history,
    work etc I don't want to loose should the container go overboard
    or the ship sinks!

    TIA,

    Cath

    texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom.., May 1, 2007

  2. texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom.. wrote:

    > Will the contents be 'wiped' or not?
    > Any precautions I should take - packaging to carry/turbulence; x-rays
    > etc?
    >
    > This hdd will be in my briefcase [my carryons get gate checked for
    > puddle jumper flights].

    No they won't get wiped. Just make sure they won't move around in your
    bag and you will be fine.

    Jason Fanning, May 1, 2007

  3. texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom..

    EMB Guest

    texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom.. wrote:

    > Will the contents be 'wiped' or not?

    My laptop has survived more airport x-rays than I care to think about so
    you should be fine.

    EMB, May 1, 2007
  4. texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom..

    Jerry Guest

    texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom.. wrote:
    > Ok next question.
    > I was looking at using memory stix to transfer files to before the
    > computer goes in the housepack BUT the number I need and the cost had
    > me looking at external hdd's instead. Overall, seems a less expensive
    > method of being able to carry valuable files with me.
    >
    > I have 2 hdd on one machineand need to transfer between 40 and 60 gb
    > in total from the two drives and an unknown amount on another machine.
    >
    > Now, the problem is I most likely will go through a total of 3 airport
    > security checkpoints in the US [and 4 if AKL domestic has one as
    > well].
    >
    > Will the contents be 'wiped' or not?
    > Any precautions I should take - packaging to carry/turbulence; x-rays
    > etc?
    >
    > This hdd will be in my briefcase [my carryons get gate checked for
    > puddle jumper flights].
    >
    > Once the housepack/computers arrive in NZ safely, I won't need the hdd
    > - just have too many valuable files i.e. medical, family history,
    > work etc I don't want to loose should the container go overboard
    > or the ship sinks!

    X-rays have no effect on magnetic media. It will be safe unless you drop
    it or it has some other accident.

    Jerry, May 1, 2007
  5. texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom..

    Gordon Guest

    On Tue, 01 May 2007 01:19:40 -0500, texan....usenet wrote:

    > Once the housepack/computers arrive in NZ safely, I won't need the hdd -
    > just have too many valuable files i.e. medical, family history, work
    > etc

    Why not keep backing up to the external HD?

    Gordon, May 2, 2007
  6. On 2 May 2007 05:57:12 GMT, Gordon <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 01 May 2007 01:19:40 -0500, texan....usenet wrote:
    >
    >> Once the housepack/computers arrive in NZ safely, I won't need the hdd -
    >> just have too many valuable files i.e. medical, family history, work
    >> etc

    >Why not keep backing up to the external HD?

    Actually never thought of that.
    With this machine now having had 4 replacement hdd's I should have!
    No excuse.

    The last hdd replacement took place just after it came out of
    warranty, the first thing I did was ensure it was not the same brand
    that Dell kept installing [WD]. If they can have a lemon law for
    cars, then there should be one for other bits and pieces!

    Shhh I still use floppies....

    Most of the files I have hard copies of however I want moveable copies
    'just in case'.

    Thanks to everyone for their help.

    Cath

    texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom.., May 2, 2007
  7. In message <>,
    texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom.. wrote:

    > The last hdd replacement took place just after it came out of
    > warranty, the first thing I did was ensure it was not the same brand
    > that Dell kept installing [WD].

    Next time, don't buy a name-brand PC, put together a white-box machine
    instead. You get more flexibility that way.

    > Shhh I still use floppies....

    Get a CD/DVD writer and start backing up to optical. Your backups should
    last longer that way. Most of my vital personal documents fit comfortably
    on just a handful of CDs.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 20, 2007
  8. On Sun, 20 May 2007 19:15:20 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote:

    >In message <>,
    >texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom.. wrote:
    >
    >> The last hdd replacement took place just after it came out of
    >> warranty, the first thing I did was ensure it was not the same brand
    >> that Dell kept installing [WD].

    >Next time, don't buy a name-brand PC, put together a white-box machine
    >instead. You get more flexibility that way.

    >> Shhh I still use floppies....

    >Get a CD/DVD writer and start backing up to optical. Your backups should
    >last longer that way. Most of my vital personal documents fit comfortably
    >on just a handful of CDs.

    Already have. This is a personal preference. For day to day stuff
    it is much easier and quicker to deal with than writing to cd/dvd's .
    I backup to cd's when required but have copies of all 'vital
    documents' i.e. birth certs, legal etc etc on cd.

    texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom.., May 20, 2007
  9. In message <>,
    texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom.. wrote:

    > For day to day stuff [floppies are] much easier and quicker to deal with
    > than writing to cd/dvd's .

    I used to use Zip disks for that purpose--floppies were just too much
    trouble.

    Nowadays I just make sure there's a second copy of my current stuff on one
    of my older machines. Two hard drives in two physically separate machines
    are a lot more reliable than one.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 20, 2007