    There must be a way to use external flash in this scenario. Anyone have
    suggestions or any explanation why these pictures came out so under
    exposed?

    SP, Jul 11, 2003

  2. SP wrote:
    > How can I use external flash (SB80DX in my case) when wide angle
    > converter WC-E80 is attached to my CP5700 camera? I took some pictures
    > few days ago of a stag show with WC-E80 and external flash attached and
    > they all came quite under exposed. I had the wide angle lens setting
    > selected from the camera menu. Later I found out that this option
    > disables the flash. But I saw flash going off while taking these
    > pictures.
    >
    > There must be a way to use external flash in this scenario. Anyone have
    > suggestions or any explanation why these pictures came out so under
    > exposed?

    Underexposed is too dark, right? Just making sure we are talking about
    the same issue.

    First, don't tell the camera you have the wide angle adapter on. I
    never did with my CP990. The camera makes some silly choices (like
    turning off the flash).

    Also, it appears the photocell that controls the flash is in the pop-up
    flash assembly so make sure that is popped up even when using the
    external flash.

    There should not be a problem with the wide angle converter blocking the
    photocell in the popup flash but make sure this is the case.

    When I used external flash with my CP990 and converter lenses I had to
    switch to manual and let the flash determine it's own exposure since the
    photocell was covered by the converter lens.

    So:
    1) Turn off the wide angle option in the menu
    2) Make sure the popup flash is up
    3) Make sure the flash is in TTL mode
    or
    4) If sensor is blocked by converter lens, switch to manual and set the
    aperature on the flash (in manual) to the same aperature you have set on
    the camera. Set shutter speed to 60th or 125th of a second. Make sure
    the ISO settings are the same between flash and camera as well.

    Then try some shots around the house to see if things are working. This
    is always a good idea before going to take "real" pictures.

    Andrew McDonald, Jul 12, 2003

  3. SP

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 16:25:50 -0500, in rec.photo.digital SP
    <> wrote:

    >How can I use external flash (SB80DX in my case) when wide angle
    >converter WC-E80 is attached to my CP5700 camera? I took some pictures
    >few days ago of a stag show with WC-E80 and external flash attached and
    >they all came quite under exposed. I had the wide angle lens setting
    >selected from the camera menu. Later I found out that this option
    >disables the flash.

    Not true. See P109 of the manual:

    Using Speedlights with Converter Lenses
    The built-in Speedlight turns off automatically when one of the converter
    lenses is selected from the menu. External Speedlight accessories can still
    be used (158).

    Hmm, I believe that should be P138 referenced, not 158, as p138 is:

    Using an External Speedlight
    Follow the instructions below to attach an external Speedlight. Refer to
    your Speedlight manual for detailed instructions regarding Speedlight
    operation.
    1 Make sure that both the camera and the external Speedlight are
    turned off.
    2 Attach the Speedlight to the camera accessory shoe.
    3 Turn both the camera and the Speedlight on.
    4 Set the external Speedlight zoom head to an angle wider than
    28 mm.
    If you are using a Speedlight with Auto Power Zoom, set the zoom head
    angle manually. The COOLPIX5700 does not support power zoom.
    5 Set the external Speedlight flash mode to TTL.
    At this setting, the amount of light produced by the external Speedlight
    is measured by the camera’s photocell, and the flash shooting range
    adjusted automatically to ensure optimal exposure.

    Now here may be a problem. The WC-E80 is so large in diameter as to block
    the photocell. OK, as I check the instruction sheet for my WC-E80, under
    "Taking Photographs with the WC-E80" it says:

    3. The pop-up Speedlight is automatically set to Flash Cancel (Off) { when
    setting the converter lens setting to wide angle}. However, you can still
    use an optional external Speedlight (Non-TTL autoflash(A)).

    D-TTL flash control
    (available with the SB-80DX, SB-50DX and SB-28DX) is not supported.
    6 Take the picture
    If the Speedlight Options: Speedlight Control option in the SET-UP
    menu is set to Auto, only the external Speedlight will fire. If this option
    is set to Int & Ext Active then the external Speedlight and the builtin
    Speedlight will fire at the same time.
    The COOLPIX5700 does not support AF-assist illumination, or red-eye
    reduction using the red-eye reduction lamp on the external Speedlight.
    At a setting of STBY (standby), the Speedlight will turn on automatically
    whenever the camera turns on but will not turn off automatically
    when the camera turns off.
    Exact functionality varies with the Speedlight in use. Refer to your
    Speedlight manual for details.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://members.cox.net/egruf
    See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
    http://members.cox.net/egruf-digicam

    Ed Ruf, Jul 12, 2003