    Any other suggestions for getting the data off the eMachine hard drive
    without adding it to my current pc as a slave drive?
    Thanks Much. jack

    Jack Barrett, Nov 3, 2007

  2. Jack Barrett

    richard Guest

    On Sat, 03 Nov 2007 22:13:35 GMT, Jack Barrett wrote:

    > I had my 3 year old eMachine motherboard die on me this morning!
    > Tested the hard drive from the dead motherboard PC and it's in good shape.
    >
    > My question is this:
    >
    > Can I buy one of those plug and play external hard drives, add my hard drive
    > to it and be able to see everything and open files?
    >
    > Both the old hard drive and my current pc are running XP Pro.
    > Any other suggestions for getting the data off the eMachine hard drive
    > without adding it to my current pc as a slave drive?
    > Thanks Much. jack

    get an external USB enclosure and install the drive in it. don't get the
    external p&p version. I've had two go kaput after dropping them. The
    internal ones are built better and can stand stronger shock. This way you
    can use the old drive with any machine you want, anywhere.

    richard, Nov 3, 2007

  3. Jack Barrett

    Gaius Baltar Guest

    <> wrote:

    >I had my 3 year old eMachine motherboard die on me this morning!
    >Tested the hard drive from the dead motherboard PC and it's in good shape.
    >
    >My question is this:
    >
    >Can I buy one of those plug and play external hard drives, add my hard drive
    >to it and be able to see everything and open files?

    Yes (you mean USB external HD enclosure)

    You can also buy a kit which allows a 2.5" or 3.5" PATA ("IDE") or
    SATA HD to be connected via USB to another PC - comes with its own
    power pack. Messier than the above but fast and flexible.

    e.g.
    http://www.anyware.com.au/Browse/d2e033c8ee284bc4a622161a74af4943001ItemDetail.aspx

    gb

    Gaius Baltar, Nov 4, 2007