    http://www.truecrypt.org/

    It seems to an unitiated person such as myself that (1) would be more convenient and wouldn't drain my cpu, but I wasn't sure if it was safe.

    Thanks!

    default, Apr 5, 2007

  2. default wrote:

    > Which is better, safer, and more convenient:
    >
    > 1) An external drive with builtin encryption such as Beyond Micros
    > version with 40-bit DES: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1857341&CatId=2422
    >

    > 2) Software-based encryption such as TrueCrypt http://www.truecrypt.org/
    >

    > It seems to an unitiated person such as myself that (1) would be more
    > convenient and wouldn't drain my cpu, but I wasn't sure if it was safe.

    Ehm... for $1000 you can break DES-40 within one second....

    BTW, please get a clue on line length and delimiting your advertisement.

    Sebastian Gottschalk, Apr 5, 2007

  3. default

    nemo_outis Guest

    "default" <default> wrote in

    > Which is better, safer, and more convenient:
    >
    > 1) An external drive with builtin encryption such as Beyond Micros
    > version with 40-bit DES:
    > http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?Ed
    > pNo=1857341&CatId=2422
    >
    > 2) Software-based encryption such as TrueCrypt
    > http://www.truecrypt.org/
    >
    > It seems to an unitiated person such as myself that (1) would be more
    > convenient and wouldn't drain my cpu, but I wasn't sure if it was
    > safe.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >

    > --------------= Posted using GrabIt =----------------
    > ------= Binary Usenet downloading made easy =---------
    > -= Get GrabIt for free from http://www.shemes.com/ =-

    1. 40-bit encryption is OK for light to medium duty but a serious
    adversary can crack it over, say, a weekend.

    2. If the external drive will be sometimes/frequently attached to others'
    drives on which you don't have administator rights it will be more
    convenient (since Truecrypt needs these rights to install its driver).

    3. Truecrypt has much stronger encrytion (256 bit) and it's open source
    and free. There is no discernible performance hit for using it even on old
    weak CPUs. It takes only ordinary skills to install Truecrypt (a firewall
    is much trickier by comparison).

    Regards,

    nemo_outis, Apr 5, 2007
  4. default

    Vanguard Guest

    <default> wrote in message
    > Which is better, safer, and more convenient:
    >
    > 1) An external drive with builtin encryption such as Beyond Micros
    > version with 40-bit DES:
    > http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1857341&CatId=2422
    >
    > 2) Software-based encryption such as TrueCrypt
    > http://www.truecrypt.org/
    >

    > --------------= Posted using GrabIt =----------------
    > ------= Binary Usenet downloading made easy =---------
    > -= Get GrabIt for free from <snip_spam_URL> =-

    40-bit key? Geez, how old is this embeded algorithm in the controller
    inside this external drive? The smallest in TrueCrypt is 168 bits
    (Triple DES but 56-bit DES, not 40-bit).

    You couldn't manage to find an NNTP client that doesn't spam? Yeah, we
    really appreciate the spam ... NOT!

    Vanguard, Apr 6, 2007
  5. default

    Hexalon Guest

    On Apr 5, 8:29 am, "default" <default> wrote:
    > Which is better, safer, and more convenient:
    >
    > 1) An external drive with builtin encryption such as Beyond Micros version with 40-bit DES:http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?...
    >
    > 2) Software-based encryption such as TrueCrypthttp://www.truecrypt.org/
    >
    > It seems to an unitiated person such as myself that (1) would be more convenient and wouldn't drain my cpu, but I wasn't sure if it was safe.
    >
    > Thanks!

    > ------= Binary Usenet downloading made easy =---------
    > -= Get GrabIt for free fromhttp://www.shemes.com/ =-

    40 bit DES is kinda weak. I would get a less expensive external drive
    and just use TrueCrypt. TrueCrypt has a benchmarking utility in it to
    help people find the best balance of speed and security. We use 256
    bit AES and it seems to work well and it very very difficult to break.

    Hexalon, Apr 6, 2007