    Conrad

    Conrad Weiler
    Camp Sherman, Oregon
    Conrad Weiler, Sep 27, 2003

  2. Conrad Weiler

    Frankhartx Guest

    >rom: (Conrad Weiler)

    >A friend wants to get an external CD burner to offload pics from her
    >computer.
    >How difficult is it to obtain an external unit and what port(s) are
    >nescessary
    >for connecting external burner with PC?

    Easy to get for a reasonable price and hook upn a snap to your printer port
    with a pass thru for the printer.

    Frankhartx, Sep 27, 2003

  3. Better and simpler yet would be a USB 2.0 style burner if you have those
    ports available. USB 1.1 would be acceptable and easy, just not as fast by
    quite a shot.

    HTH

    --

    Dwight Duckstein, MCP

    "Frankhartx" <> wrote in message

    > >rom: (Conrad Weiler)

    > >A friend wants to get an external CD burner to offload pics from her
    > >computer.
    > >How difficult is it to obtain an external unit and what port(s) are
    > >nescessary
    > >for connecting external burner with PC?
    > >

    > Easy to get for a reasonable price and hook upn a snap to your printer

    port
    > with a pass thru for the printer.

    ---
    Dwight Duckstein, Sep 27, 2003
  4. Conrad Weiler

    Al Dykes Guest

    In article <>,
    Frankhartx <> wrote:

    >>rom: (Conrad Weiler)

    >>A friend wants to get an external CD burner to offload pics from her
    >>computer.
    >>How difficult is it to obtain an external unit and what port(s) are
    >>nescessary
    >>for connecting external burner with PC?
    >>

    >Easy to get for a reasonable price and hook upn a snap to your printer port
    >with a pass thru for the printer.

    Hooking equipment (other than printers) up to the printer (parallel)
    port is kind of dusty these days.

    I just bought an external CD burner at a major computer dealer for
    about $80US. It has connected to the USB ports on several computers
    without a hitch. On a modern computer there isn't even any software
    setup needed to read CDs. You need a software package to burn CDs, it
    should come with the burner.

    Any computer bought in the last 5 years probably has one or more USB
    ports. This is the most versatile way to get data in and out of your
    computer. Every digital camera I've seen comes with a USB
    cable. Printers and scanners are commonly USB-connected these days.
    Devices that hook up to the printer port is getting sort of rare,
    even printers are going USB.

    Your computer need one of these operating systems; Windows98, w2k, XP or
    Windows me (which was the worst operating system Microsoft ever shipped).
    Linux works just fine with my burner.

    USB comes in "slow" (aka USB1.1) and "fast". My laptop PC has "slow"
    USB and it works just fine with my burner. I just crank the burning
    speed down so the computer can keep up with the burner.

    --
    Al Dykes
    -----------
    Al Dykes, Sep 27, 2003
  5. > A friend wants to get an external CD burner to offload pics from her computer.
    > How difficult is it to obtain an external unit and what port(s) are nescessary
    > for connecting external burner with PC?

    You're much better off with an internal.
    Randall Ainsworth, Sep 27, 2003
  6. > Easy to get for a reasonable price and hook upn a snap to your printer port
    > with a pass thru for the printer.

    Goes right along with that parallel port scanner too, eh? Jeez...get
    with the program.
    Randall Ainsworth, Sep 27, 2003
  7. Conrad Weiler

    Eric Gisin Guest

    You are insane! Parallel port burners simply don't work. USB 2 should be fine.

    Eric Gisin, Sep 27, 2003
  8. Conrad Weiler

    JK Guest

    Most PCs more than a year old don't have USB2, and USB 1.1 usually
    limits you to 4x or 6x burning. One could add a USB2 card to a pc,
    but adding one to a desktop machine is more trouble than installing
    an internal burner.The only time you should seriously consider an
    external burner is if you are using a notebook. Internal burners are faster
    and much less expensive.

    JK, Sep 27, 2003
  9. Conrad Weiler

    Al Dykes Guest

    In article <>, JK <> wrote:
    >Most PCs more than a year old don't have USB2, and USB 1.1 usually
    >limits you to 4x or 6x burning. One could add a USB2 card to a pc,
    >but adding one to a desktop machine is more trouble than installing
    >an internal burner.The only time you should seriously consider an
    >external burner is if you are using a notebook. Internal burners are faster
    >and much less expensive.

    I'm a made plenty of coaster on computers and burners that would be 5
    years old, now. That equipment is all gone. These days I've been
    burning CDs on an external burner on a laptop with 1.1 USB at 12X.
    It's a Celeron 1GHZ machine (lots of RAM)

    The underrun protection that the new burners have seem to
    be working. Keep an eye on the buffer lever indicator
    while burning. The buffer should never go to zero.

    It doesn't hurt to test the burn by copying the entire CD back to C:,
    as a test, when you're done. Look for # of files copied.

    --
    Al Dykes
    -----------
    Al Dykes, Sep 27, 2003
  10. Conrad Weiler

    HRosita Guest

    Hi,

    If you are running Win 98se or higher, get a Firewire PCI card (under $50) and
    get an external burner that connects to the firewire. While its specs are a
    little lower than USB2, the throughput is equal or better.
    Absolutely nothing wrong with external devices (CD burners, hard drives, etc)
    and you keep them when you upgrade your PC.
    Rosita
    HRosita, Sep 27, 2003
  11. Conrad Weiler

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Conrad Weiler <> wrote:
    >A friend wants to get an external CD burner to offload pics from her computer.
    >How difficult is it to obtain an external unit

    Easy with a credit card. Here's one merchant to get you started
    although there are tons more: www.pcconnection.com

    >and what port(s) are nescessary
    >for connecting external burner with PC?

    USB 1.1, USB 2.0, Firewire, parallel, or SCSI.

    --
    Ray Fischer
    Ray Fischer, Sep 27, 2003
  12. Conrad Weiler

    Eric Gisin Guest

    Nope, you aren't burning at 12 x 150kb/s = 1.8MB/s on USB 1.1.

    Eric Gisin, Sep 27, 2003
  13. In article <bl4mip$l9v$>, Ray Fischer
    <> wrote:

    > >and what port(s) are nescessary
    > >for connecting external burner with PC?

    > USB 1.1, USB 2.0, Firewire, parallel, or SCSI.

    Just to amplify: if you can't go internal, use USB 2.0 or FireWire
    (IEEE1394) to connect your external burner. You can easily add an
    inexpensive PCI interface card if necessary.

    USB 1.1 is just too slow to work correctly, and SCSI, while effective,
    is expensive and sometimes tricky to set up.

    Parallel? I wasn't aware they ever tried that. The fact that nobody
    uses it attests to its (lack of) effectiveness.
    Scott Schuckert, Sep 28, 2003
  14. Conrad Weiler

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Hi,
    >
    > A friend wants to get an external CD burner to offload pics from her computer.
    > How difficult is it to obtain an external unit and what port(s) are nescessary
    > for connecting external burner with PC?

    There is a thing called a Steno that can be connected straight to a
    digital camera.

    Other than that, there are a lot of external burners that can connect on
    a USB port.
    Mainlander, Sep 29, 2003