External CD Box mod

Discussion in 'Case Modding' started by unholy, Jan 11, 2006.

  1. unholy

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    Ok guyz heres my newest plan :), i have decided to mod a large External CD Drive Box. Currently i have the box. but i am short of one idea. I already have all designs to fit the Mobo and psu inside (they are modified) but the HDD, though the computer will have lan its always good to be able to boot into window :) i was thinking of using a flash drive but they do cost alot for such a small amount of room, heres a few details.

    I am going to buy a Dell Optiplex PSU from ebay.
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6838436037&sspagename=ADME:L:RTQ:AU:1
    Dimensions: 265mm long, 102 mm wide, 40 mm high

    and i am going to use a Via EPIA-N, which is the smallest itx currently available. it is 120mm x 120mm, so basicly get a 120mm fan and look at it, theres you computer :)
    http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/mainboards/nano_itx/epia_n/index.jsp

    the Box is sized like this

    < 250mm >
    +----------+
    |220mm

    +----------+

    i will give drawings in the morning :), i know for a factr the Optiplex is shorter out of case :)

    Current Problems:
    > None

    Project Cash Limit: $300 AU (Gone over limit)

    Project Estimation: $383 AU

    Current Cash Fund: $ 0 AU (If you want to donate just give me a Email :) )
    [Updated Daily :)]
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2006
    unholy, Jan 11, 2006

  2. unholy

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Man, you do like to show the worst possible pics of things. I can't tell anything about the drive or the mobo from either of those sites. <shrug>

    So you're going to put a whole computer inside of a CD-Rom case? Hmm, ok, where will the CD-ROM go? :)
    The Modfather, Jan 12, 2006

  3. unholy

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    Ok heres a few pictures to get u started :p

    http://www.unholystudios.com/pictures/12-1-06/IMG_0558.JPG
    http://www.unholystudios.com/pictures/12-1-06/IMG_0560.JPG
    http://www.unholystudios.com/pictures/12-1-06/IMG_0557.JPG

    http://www.unholystudios.com/pictures/12-1-06/EPIA-N-45.jpg
    http://www.unholystudios.com/pictures/12-1-06/EPIA-N-top.jpg

    http://www.unholystudios.com/pictures/12-1-06/alpine_64.jpg
    Thats the AC Cooler i was talking about :)

    Hey Al, how hard would it be to make a 12-3.3volt transformer??? or 5-3.3?
    Would save me having to get a new psu :)

    Only problem would be that it cant take tomuch power (the mobo)

    *edit, added some piccies :)*
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2006
    unholy, Jan 12, 2006
  4. unholy

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    So...

    ...you have already purchased the Dell PSU (Proprietary design / outputs for Dell computers or standard? Better check the pin out in the motherboard connector.) and the ITX motherboard. You have a 20GB hard drive. Space is a problem, specifically with getting that hard drive installed under the motherboard. You are wondering if you can either build a new PSU with taps for 12V, 5V, and 3.3V (What about the negative outputs?), or just add some additional taps to the current PSU?

    Since you are talking about a low power system, meaning no videocard and I guess no optical drives, maybe you can supply the voltages you need with external power bricks. That's right - power adapters in the voltage outputs you need, at currents of maybe 1.5 to 1 Amp. This would be external to the box, giving you more room for your hard drive. Don't forget a custom laser-etched window. I'm sure that Hyperkore would ship to Australia for a few additional bucks. American bucks that is....:five:
    bigal, Jan 12, 2006
  5. unholy

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    That sounds like a good idea, use a power brick, it'll make the machine itself lighter and give you a lot more room plus it'll cut down drastically on heat.

    3rd pic of the first set of 3 doesn't come up BTW...

    I see it's not an internal CD-Rom then right? Steve's got an enclosure for 2 5 1/4" bay devices (With a PSU but I doubt it'd be good for anything more than the 2 drives you normally would put in it) that'd be ideal for something like this. Throw a nice chrome plated handle on the top and it'd make a great lanparty box. An LCD would fit nicely in the front of it too... Hmmm...
    The Modfather, Jan 12, 2006
  6. unholy

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Wouldn't a LAN party box....

    ...need a good videocard? I don't think he'll be adding a videocard to this rig.:roll:
    bigal, Jan 12, 2006
  7. unholy

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    heres current ideas.

    > Laptop 2.5" (60mm) HDD

    Are socket transformers stable enough to be used? but where would a i find a 3.3volt one? Remember i also have to power a HDD, thats around 500mA (I thought about it, and thats what sort of power those external Laptop HDD enclosures can maximumly take) itself.

    Also i am thinking of getting a different Motherboard, the VIA EPIA-N is sort of expensive at $315AU, and i could get one simalair which is 17cmx17cm and has a PCI slot and takes SD-ram instead of SO-DIMM and its only $150 AU.

    Pricing:
    > VIA EPIA-800 - $159
    > SD-Ram - $0 (Steal some from an old celery in the cupboard)
    > FUJITSU 40 gig 5400rpm 2.5inch Model: MHT2040AH $95
    > Power Supply (Still thinking)

    All together $254

    With the power supply, i could make it external but have proper connector leads and so forth to unplug it easy and plug it in, but i would prefer it being all in one :).

    i will probably use Multiple Power Bricks as u call them, and Mount them internally, i have a 12 and a 5 lying around some were, i could ever make one (they aren't hard if u buy a kit)

    And modfather.

    VIA CPU, not for Gaming
    Video Card, basicly the same size as the mobo :|

    The board has a pre mounted VIA Cpu, which is why is it slightly more expensive then a intel ITX, but u know me, intel is gay and i will never use one. so its via. its rpobably going to be single server for CSS (no bots) and for other times a video recorder or TV box :) its mighty small :p

    oh yer al, if i made a 240 - 12volt i would have AC power, no need fo negative :p

    Also with this Hyperkore Laser Etched window, how much US does it cost for a 8"x8"
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2006
    unholy, Jan 12, 2006
  8. unholy

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Ok, so it's a server, why then does it need to be so small?
    The Modfather, Jan 13, 2006
  9. unholy

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    for transport :p silly, thats why and i just feel like making a small mod :)
    unholy, Jan 13, 2006
  10. unholy

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    So it's a lanparty server, okay, makes sense sorta...
    The Modfather, Jan 14, 2006
  11. unholy

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    ok heres whats happening with the psu.

    I found a place which sells psu's the size of thumb tacs, no joke ether.

    http://www.mini-box.com/s.nl/sc.8/category.13/.f

    i am going to purchase one and get it shipped over, they do work of 12v dc so this can be used in a car as well which is a plus side :)

    i am going to get the 200 watt one with the 2 molexs, and also the ide for the Laptop hdd, and a 240v AC to 12v DC transformer :)

    that will set me back around 150 bucks, but worth it to get this all in one rig :)

    Pricing Update:

    > Mobo (EPIA-800) 159
    > PSU (the 70Watt kit and stuff) 105
    > Laptop HDD (40gb) 99
    > Hyperkore Laser Etched Window (Not currently sure)
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2006
    unholy, Jan 14, 2006
  12. unholy

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Yeeeaahhh, okay, er, um... That's pretty wild.
    The Modfather, Jan 14, 2006
  13. unholy

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    wild? what do u mean by wild????
    unholy, Jan 14, 2006
  14. unholy

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    That PSU, it's wild, as in, er, wild, I dunno, freaky, different, unusual, um, you know, um, wild.
    The Modfather, Jan 14, 2006
  15. unholy

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    oh you mean like how its no DAM FUKn SMALL (excuse my language)

    i know hey, u can buy them cheaper then i can :p
    unholy, Jan 14, 2006
  16. unholy

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    I haven't got a need for one as yet but it's neat. :) I can imagine a few applications for it. :)
    The Modfather, Jan 15, 2006
  17. unholy

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    Its mainly for any motherboard and CPU that requires less then 80Watts, or whatever its rated at.
    unholy, Jan 15, 2006
  18. unholy

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    I was thinking more along the lines of using that as a secondary PSU for things like case lighting, to take that load off the main PSU. Also allowing you to have your lighting going when the machine is powered down. Might also be good for keeping a water cooling system running when the power's off.
    The Modfather, Jan 15, 2006
  19. unholy

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    yes. it could be :) i like your ides, so when are you getting your water cooling?
    unholy, Jan 16, 2006
  20. unholy

    bigal

    Joined: