    management as Disk 4 with a little red 'no entrysign' unknown and not
    initialized also unallocated. Can I recover entry to this disk and can
    my important back ups be retrieved. If so How ...........help

    neepdocker, Nov 8, 2007

  2. neepdocker

    pcbuilder98 Guest

    "neepdocker" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Switched on my external back up drive to find it did not show up in
    > 'my computer' explorer etc. It appears in computer management - disk
    > management as Disk 4 with a little red 'no entrysign' unknown and not
    > initialized also unallocated. Can I recover entry to this disk and can
    > my important back ups be retrieved. If so How ...........help

    Did you reboot? If soft boot not helpful try hard boot and wait for at least
    30 seconds. Tell us what happens then.
    --
    pcbuilder98

    pcbuilder98, Nov 8, 2007

  3. neepdocker

    neepdocker Guest

    On 8 Nov, 21:04, "pcbuilder98" <pcbuilder98@_.com> wrote:
    > "neepdocker" <> wrote in message
    >
    > news:...> Switched on my external back up drive to find it did not show up in
    > > 'my computer' explorer etc. It appears in computer management - disk
    > > management as Disk 4 with a little red 'no entrysign' unknown and not
    > > initialized also unallocated. Can I recover entry to this disk and can
    > > my important back ups be retrieved. If so How ...........help

    > Did you reboot? If soft boot not helpful try hard boot and wait for at least
    > 30 seconds. Tell us what happens then.
    > --
    > pcbuilder98

    Yes I rebooted even tried the Hard Drive in another computer and just
    the same.

    neepdocker, Nov 8, 2007
  4. neepdocker

    > On 8 Nov, 21:04, "pcbuilder98" <pcbuilder98@_.com> wrote:
    > > "neepdocker" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > news:...> Switched

    on my external back up drive to find it did not show up in
    > > > 'my computer' explorer etc. It appears in computer management - disk
    > > > management as Disk 4 with a little red 'no entrysign' unknown and not
    > > > initialized also unallocated. Can I recover entry to this disk and can
    > > > my important back ups be retrieved. If so How ...........help

    > > Did you reboot? If soft boot not helpful try hard boot and wait for at

    least
    > > 30 seconds. Tell us what happens then.
    > > --
    > > pcbuilder98

    > Yes I rebooted even tried the Hard Drive in another computer and just
    > the same.

    How does this drive interface? Make and model number would be helpful. Is
    this unit still under warranty. Have you visited the MFG site to search for
    description of your problem or solution for same? I can look this up when
    you give model number but how is unit powered? When did the unit last
    operate correctly?
    --
    pcbuilder98

    pcbuilder98, Nov 8, 2007
  5. neepdocker

    neepdocker Guest

    On 8 Nov, 21:18, "pcbuilder98" <pcbuilder98@_.com> wrote:
    > "neepdocker" <> wrote in message
    >
    > news:...> On 8 Nov, 21:04, "pcbuilder98" <pcbuilder98@_.com> wrote:
    > > > "neepdocker" <> wrote in message

    > > >news:...> Switched

    > on my external back up drive to find it did not show up in> > > 'my computer' explorer etc. It appears in computer management - disk

    > > > Did you reboot? If soft boot not helpful try hard boot and wait for at

    > least
    > > > 30 seconds. Tell us what happens then.
    > > > --
    > > > pcbuilder98

    > > Yes I rebooted even tried the Hard Drive in another computer and just
    > > the same.

    > How does this drive interface? Make and model number would be helpful. Is
    > this unit still under warranty. Have you visited the MFG site to search for
    > description of your problem or solution for same? I can look this up when
    > you give model number but how is unit powered? When did the unit last
    > operate correctly?
    > --
    > pcbuilder98

    Out of Warranty and functioned yesterday when I backed up most of my
    photography.
    It is a mains / transformer powered usb 2 connected Maxtor 6 L300R0
    Hard drive in an enclosed case. Thanks for your assistance.

    neepdocker, Nov 8, 2007
  6. neepdocker

    > On 8 Nov, 21:18, "pcbuilder98" <pcbuilder98@_.com> wrote:
    > > "neepdocker" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > news:...> On 8 Nov,

    Switched

    > > on my external back up drive to find it did not show up in> > > 'my

    computer' explorer etc. It appears in computer management - disk

    not

    can

    at
    > > least

    > > > Yes I rebooted even tried the Hard Drive in another computer and just
    > > > the same.

    > > How does this drive interface? Make and model number would be helpful.

    Is
    > > this unit still under warranty. Have you visited the MFG site to search

    for
    > > description of your problem or solution for same? I can look this up

    when
    > > you give model number but how is unit powered? When did the unit last
    > > operate correctly?
    > > --
    > > pcbuilder98

    > Out of Warranty and functioned yesterday when I backed up most of my
    > photography.
    > It is a mains / transformer powered usb 2 connected Maxtor 6 L300R0
    > Hard drive in an enclosed case. Thanks for your assistance.

    I don't know how much help I'll be but your welcome. I haven't been able to
    find a picture of your drive. Nor can I find that model at Maxtor support:
    http://www.maxtorsolutions.com/en/Main/support.shtml
    Does the drive have a separate USB cable and if so can you try another?
    --
    pcbuilder98

    pcbuilder98, Nov 8, 2007
  7. neepdocker

    philo Guest

    > Switched on my external back up drive to find it did not show up in
    > 'my computer' explorer etc. It appears in computer management - disk
    > management as Disk 4 with a little red 'no entrysign' unknown and not
    > initialized also unallocated. Can I recover entry to this disk and can
    > my important back ups be retrieved. If so How ...........help

    Although the drive might have failed...it could possibly be a USB controller
    failure.

    Remove the drive from the case and install it in your machine on an IDE
    channel and see if it's readable

    philo, Nov 9, 2007
  8. neepdocker

    FOG Guest

    And if that doesn't work, then it's fucked.

    FOG, Nov 9, 2007
  9. neepdocker

    pcbuilder98 Guest

    "pcbuilder98" <pcbuilder98@_.com> wrote in message
    > "neepdocker" <> wrote in message
    > > On 8 Nov, 21:18, "pcbuilder98" <pcbuilder98@_.com> wrote:
    > > > "neepdocker" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > news:...> On 8

    Nov,

    > Switched
    > > >
    > > > on my external back up drive to find it did not show up in> > > 'my

    > computer' explorer etc. It appears in computer management - disk

    and
    > not

    and
    > can

    for
    > at
    > > > least

    just

    > > > How does this drive interface? Make and model number would be helpful.

    > Is
    > > > this unit still under warranty. Have you visited the MFG site to

    search
    > for
    > > > description of your problem or solution for same? I can look this up

    > when
    > > > you give model number but how is unit powered? When did the unit last
    > > > operate correctly?
    > > > --
    > > > pcbuilder98

    > > Out of Warranty and functioned yesterday when I backed up most of my
    > > photography.
    > > It is a mains / transformer powered usb 2 connected Maxtor 6 L300R0
    > > Hard drive in an enclosed case. Thanks for your assistance.
    > >

    > I don't know how much help I'll be but your welcome. I haven't been able

    > find a picture of your drive. Nor can I find that model at Maxtor support:
    > http://www.maxtorsolutions.com/en/Main/support.shtml
    > Does the drive have a separate USB cable and if so can you try another?
    > --
    > pcbuilder98

    If the USB cable is OK and no one else has a better idea then I would remove
    the drive from it's enclosure and attach it to the mother board via an IDE
    cable. If the drive is still not recognized in the BIOS and Windows then I'm
    afraid it's time to send the drive to a data recovery service to see if your
    data can be retrieved from what may be a damaged drive.
    --
    pcbuilder98

    pcbuilder98, Nov 9, 2007