Extensions for these?

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Galaxy, Jul 10, 2004.

  1. Galaxy

    Galaxy Guest

    I miss 2 big things from IE (_no_, I _don't_ miss IE, I miss how it
    does these 2 things so easily):

    - FILE > SEND > SHORTCUT TO DESKTOP

    This is invaluable. I'm in the middle of a search on google but I
    need to stop; I just save the page I'm on in the above manner
    commands. Then, when I next click on that shortcut on the desktop,
    the browser opens and I'm right back to the point in my research where
    I left off.

    - SAVE WEBPAGES with source URL

    Yes, Firefox saves the page but it doesn't embed the source URL within
    the saved page like IE does. I found this out to my cost the hard
    way.

    When doing research on the net, I could work for a few hours in IE,
    saving pages that I believe I needed to out of all those visited.
    Then, going back and culling, I keep only what turns out to be
    pertinent. Those saved pages then I hard-code source URL so that hdd
    page has a clickable link right back to the original webpage. I would
    be able to retrieve said URL by the address embedded at the top of the
    page once open in Notepad. Reference is usually something like this
    (URL in place of dots):

    <!-- saved from url=(0035) ... --> *****

    Are there extensions that will do both things for Firefox?

    One extension would be to add capability to create a shortcut on the
    desktop; the other extension to automatically add the source URL to
    any saved webpage.

    Thanks!

    *****
    I've been doing this for years with IE and, btw, it's all extremely
    easy. I have AutoIt scripts that automate everything like the above
    "saved from source url" code and the one below to give the clickable
    link:

    <!--HTML doc's URL:-->
    <b><font color=#00FFFF><A HREF="">

    </A></b></font>

    Galaxy, Jul 10, 2004

  2. Galaxy

    Michael C. Guest

    On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 15:55:06 GMT,
    Galaxy <> wrote:
    > I miss 2 big things from IE (_no_, I _don't_ miss IE, I miss how it
    > does these 2 things so easily):
    >

    > - FILE > SEND > SHORTCUT TO DESKTOP
    >
    > This is invaluable. I'm in the middle of a search on google but I
    > need to stop; I just save the page I'm on in the above manner
    > commands. Then, when I next click on that shortcut on the desktop,
    > the browser opens and I'm right back to the point in my research where
    > I left off.

    Try dragging the icon in the address bar to the desktop.

    HTH,

    Michael C.
    --
    http://mcsuper5.freeshell.org/

    "It is possible to make things of great complexity out of things that
    are very simple. There is no conservation of simplicity"
    - Stephen Wolfram

    Michael C., Jul 10, 2004

  3. Galaxy

    mike555 Guest

    Galaxy <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > I miss 2 big things from IE (_no_, I _don't_ miss IE, I miss how it
    > does these 2 things so easily):
    >
    > ... snip ...

    ====== you might want to get these extentions ;

    Session Saver , it saves the website you were on and opens it again
    when you restart FoxFire ..................
    Send To (from- http://gorgias.de/mfe/) it lets you highlight text
    and automatically save it , and the URL, and date ...... ===========

    mike555, Jul 11, 2004
  4. Galaxy

    Mueen Nawaz Guest

    Galaxy wrote:
    > - FILE > SEND > SHORTCUT TO DESKTOP

    Create Shortcut
    deskCut

    > This is invaluable. I'm in the middle of a search on google but I
    > need to stop; I just save the page I'm on in the above manner
    > commands. Then, when I next click on that shortcut on the desktop,
    > the browser opens and I'm right back to the point in my research where
    > I left off.

    A better way would be to press Ctrl+D (to bookmark). When the dialog
    opens up, there will be an option: Bookmark All Tabs in a Folder. Select
    it. When you return to that folder, it will automatically load all tabs
    and you can continue.

    --
    Mueen

    Mueen Nawaz, Jul 11, 2004
  5. Galaxy

    Galaxy Guest

    On 10 Jul 2004 18:38:46 -0700, (mike555)
    wrote:

    >Galaxy <> wrote in message news:<>...
    >> I miss 2 big things from IE (_no_, I _don't_ miss IE, I miss how it
    >> does these 2 things so easily):
    >>
    >> ... snip ...

    > ====== you might want to get these extentions ;
    >
    >Session Saver , it saves the website you were on and opens it again
    >when you restart FoxFire ..................
    > Send To (from- http://gorgias.de/mfe/) it lets you highlight text
    >and automatically save it , and the URL, and date ...... ===========

    Thanks, have SendTo and the first isn't feasible.

    Dragging the icon in the address bar is _best_ solution though it's by
    no means perfect. I constantly have several windows maximized so this
    means Windows Key + M to minimize to taskbar and taking FF off
    maximize so I can drag.

    What a drag. <sigh>

    Hopefully someone includes the 2 things from IE for FF. They're very
    handy. I don't miss IE one bit, I miss that functionality big time,
    though.

    Galaxy, Jul 11, 2004
  6. Galaxy

    Galaxy Guest

    On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 04:28:27 GMT, Mueen Nawaz <>
    wrote:

    >Galaxy wrote:
    >> - FILE > SEND > SHORTCUT TO DESKTOP

    >Create Shortcut
    >deskCut
    >
    >> This is invaluable. I'm in the middle of a search on google but I
    >> need to stop; I just save the page I'm on in the above manner
    >> commands. Then, when I next click on that shortcut on the desktop,
    >> the browser opens and I'm right back to the point in my research where
    >> I left off.

    > A better way would be to press Ctrl+D (to bookmark). When the dialog
    >opens up, there will be an option: Bookmark All Tabs in a Folder. Select
    >it. When you return to that folder, it will automatically load all tabs
    >and you can continue.

    Thanks. Not an option. My bookmarks would get so loaded it's not
    funny and then I'd have to be worrying about going back and deleting
    then sorting each time <sigh> I have a ton of useful bookmarks
    already and I save google searches for many reasons too often so I
    don't want to mix up bookmarking with saving disposable page
    shortcuts.

    Thanks, though. I appreciate your time.

    Cheers!

    Galaxy, Jul 11, 2004
  7. Galaxy

    Galaxy Guest

    On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 04:53:54 GMT, Galaxy
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 04:28:27 GMT, Mueen Nawaz <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Galaxy wrote:
    >>> - FILE > SEND > SHORTCUT TO DESKTOP

    >>Create Shortcut
    >>deskCut
    >>
    >>> This is invaluable. I'm in the middle of a search on google but I
    >>> need to stop; I just save the page I'm on in the above manner
    >>> commands. Then, when I next click on that shortcut on the desktop,
    >>> the browser opens and I'm right back to the point in my research where
    >>> I left off.

    >> A better way would be to press Ctrl+D (to bookmark). When the dialog
    >>opens up, there will be an option: Bookmark All Tabs in a Folder. Select
    >>it. When you return to that folder, it will automatically load all tabs
    >>and you can continue.

    >Thanks. Not an option. My bookmarks would get so loaded it's not
    >funny and then I'd have to be worrying about going back and deleting
    >then sorting each time <sigh> I have a ton of useful bookmarks
    >already and I save google searches for many reasons too often so I
    >don't want to mix up bookmarking with saving disposable page
    >shortcuts.
    >
    >Thanks, though. I appreciate your time.
    >
    >Cheers!

    btw, I mention searches a lot, but the fact is that any page I
    temporarily want to get back to (i.e., but NOT a bookmark, bookmarks
    are _not_ temporary for me), I save as a shortcut on the desktop.
    Bookmarks are out-of-sight, out-of-mind whereas desktop internet
    shortcuts are not.

    Just an fyi.

    Galaxy, Jul 11, 2004
  8. Galaxy

    Galaxy Guest

    <> wrote:

    >I miss 2 big things from IE (_no_, I _don't_ miss IE, I miss how it
    >does these 2 things so easily):
    >

    >- FILE > SEND > SHORTCUT TO DESKTOP
    >
    >This is invaluable. I'm in the middle of a search on google but I
    >need to stop; I just save the page I'm on in the above manner
    >commands. Then, when I next click on that shortcut on the desktop,
    >the browser opens and I'm right back to the point in my research where
    >I left off.

    [snip]

    Hallelujah!

    Here it is:
    http://update.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=22&vid=23&category=Bookmarks

    p.s., I should have mentioned that any page is saved in IE (and this
    extension, too). It's because I used that feature most when googling.
    But I also used it a lot just when saving temporarily when bookmarking
    wouldn't do.

    Galaxy, Jul 11, 2004
  9. Galaxy

    .BRIAN. Guest

    On 7/11/2004 12:53 AM, Galaxy wrote:
    > On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 04:28:27 GMT, Mueen Nawaz <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Galaxy wrote:
    >>
    >>>- FILE > SEND > SHORTCUT TO DESKTOP

    >>Create Shortcut
    >>deskCut
    >>

    >>>This is invaluable. I'm in the middle of a search on google but I
    >>>need to stop; I just save the page I'm on in the above manner
    >>>commands. Then, when I next click on that shortcut on the desktop,
    >>>the browser opens and I'm right back to the point in my research where
    >>>I left off.

    >> A better way would be to press Ctrl+D (to bookmark). When the dialog
    >>opens up, there will be an option: Bookmark All Tabs in a Folder. Select
    >>it. When you return to that folder, it will automatically load all tabs
    >>and you can continue.

    > Thanks. Not an option. My bookmarks would get so loaded it's not
    > funny and then I'd have to be worrying about going back and deleting
    > then sorting each time <sigh> I have a ton of useful bookmarks
    > already and I save google searches for many reasons too often so I
    > don't want to mix up bookmarking with saving disposable page
    > shortcuts.
    >
    > Thanks, though. I appreciate your time.
    >
    > Cheers!

    I think you should learn to write your own extensions! :-D

    --
    Brian

    .BRIAN., Jul 11, 2004
  10. Galaxy

    .BRIAN. Guest

    On 11 Jul 2004 at 0102, Galaxy posted the following:

    > [snip]
    >
    > Hallelujah!
    >
    > Here it is:
    > http://update.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=22&vid=23&category=Bookmarks
    >
    > p.s., I should have mentioned that any page is saved in IE (and this
    > extension, too). It's because I used that feature most when googling.
    > But I also used it a lot just when saving temporarily when bookmarking
    > wouldn't do.

    Dude, Mueen Nawaz told you there were two extensions--Create Shortcut
    and deskCut--at 12:28 am. Both of those extensions have been available
    since the middle of June.

    So, do you even bother to look at the list of extensions *before* you
    ask these questions!? Or do you just ask, and hope someone will go look
    for you.

    --
    Brian

    .BRIAN., Jul 11, 2004
  11. Galaxy

    Mueen Nawaz Guest

    Galaxy wrote:
    > btw, I mention searches a lot, but the fact is that any page I
    > temporarily want to get back to (i.e., but NOT a bookmark, bookmarks
    > are _not_ temporary for me), I save as a shortcut on the desktop.
    > Bookmarks are out-of-sight, out-of-mind whereas desktop internet
    > shortcuts are not.

    In which case, put it on the Personal Toolbar folder. It will be clear
    in view, and harder to forget.

    I don't have anything against desktop shortcuts, though, and I listed
    two extensions that claim to do it (haven't tried them personally). I
    was lazy enough not to post the URL's, but they're easy to find.

    --
    Mueen

    Mueen Nawaz, Jul 13, 2004