    Does anyone have experience using extension tubes on a Canon EF 180mm
    f/3.5L Macro? If so, I'm curious to hear how well it works and any
    other comments you may have.

    Mardon, May 7, 2006

  2. Mardon

    Bill Hilton Guest

    > Mardon writes ...
    >
    > Does anyone have experience using extension tubes on a
    > Canon EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro?

    Yes, my wife the macro queen has this lens and has used it with my 25
    mm Canon extension tube and with a Kenko set (I think 12, 24 and 36 mm,
    something like that). She doesn't do it as much any more since she got
    the MP 65 (which goes from 1x - 5x without extension).

    > If so, I'm curious to hear how well it works and any
    > other comments you may have.

    I think the manual for the 180 macro advises against using extension
    tubes but she didn't run into any problems ... except maybe having
    problems focussing with dim light at long extensions ... the main
    reason to do it is to go greater than 1:1 magnification and if you
    spend a lot of time needing/wanting to go > 1:1 then the MP 65 is
    probably better though since it starts at 1x and goes continuously to
    5x.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, May 7, 2006

  3. Mardon

    Mardon Guest

    "Bill Hilton" <> wrote:

    > I think the manual for the 180 macro advises against using
    > extension tubes but she didn't run into any problems ... except
    > maybe having problems focussing with dim light at long
    > extensions ... the main reason to do it is to go greater than
    > 1:1 magnification and if you spend a lot of time needing/wanting
    > to go > 1:1 then the MP 65 is probably better though since it
    > starts at 1x and goes continuously to 5x.
    > Bill

    Thanks!

    Mardon, May 8, 2006