    googled and googled and haven't found anything. Lots of other nifty
    extensions have shown up, though! <g>

    Does anyone know of an extension that does this? Appreciate it.
    S.Rodgers, Sep 16, 2004

  2. S.Rodgers

    Moz Champion Guest

    S.Rodgers wrote:

    > IE does this automatically. Since I switched to Firefox, have been
    > having to do a manual workaround and this takes too much time. I'm

    > sure someone has come up with an extension that automatically saves--
    > the URL in the html page we save of a webpage we've visited, but I've
    > googled and googled and haven't found anything. Lots of other nifty
    > extensions have shown up, though! <g>
    >
    > Does anyone know of an extension that does this? Appreciate it.

    You dont need an extension or anything

    Firefox-->Preferences-->Privacy-->History
    and set the number of days you want the sites to be remembered for
    (you can clear history from here as well)

    You can access the History from
    Go-->History

    You can add a Page to Bookmarks as well, which does the same thing, but
    its not time delimited.

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org
    Moz Champion, Sep 17, 2004

  3. S.Rodgers

    S.Rodgers Guest

    On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 03:51:15 GMT, Moz Champion
    <> wrote:

    >S.Rodgers wrote:
    >
    >> IE does this automatically. Since I switched to Firefox, have been
    >> having to do a manual workaround and this takes too much time. I'm

    >> sure someone has come up with an extension that automatically saves--
    >> the URL in the html page we save of a webpage we've visited, but I've
    >> googled and googled and haven't found anything. Lots of other nifty
    >> extensions have shown up, though! <g>
    >>
    >> Does anyone know of an extension that does this? Appreciate it.
    >>

    >You dont need an extension or anything

    Yes. I do. Saved pages I then re-code slightly and put the source
    URL at the top with code. Your way here is not useful for this
    purpose. I can't come back months later and re-code the page.

    What I'm still doing now is when I need to save a page, I have to then
    go and open it in IE as it then will save the source URL right in the
    code itself.

    Sounds like I still need an extension to do this in FF, if such an
    extension exists, of course. I've googled, but I'm hoping it's
    because I'm not asking for the right thing, etc.

    S.Rodgers, Mar 13, 2005
  5. S.Rodgers

    S.Rodgers Guest

    On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 11:16:29 -0500, S.Rodgers
    <> wrote:

    >IE does this automatically. Since I switched to Firefox, have been
    >having to do a manual workaround and this takes too much time. I'm
    >sure someone has come up with an extension that automatically saves
    >the URL in the html page we save of a webpage we've visited, but I've
    >googled and googled and haven't found anything. Lots of other nifty
    >extensions have shown up, though! <g>
    >
    >Does anyone know of an extension that does this? Appreciate it.

    Does anyone know of an extension that does this?

    Thanks.
    S.Rodgers, Apr 5, 2005
  6. S.Rodgers

    Moz Champion Guest

    S.Rodgers wrote:
    > On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 11:16:29 -0500, S.Rodgers
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>IE does this automatically. Since I switched to Firefox, have been
    >>having to do a manual workaround and this takes too much time. I'm
    >>sure someone has come up with an extension that automatically saves
    >>the URL in the html page we save of a webpage we've visited, but I've
    >>googled and googled and haven't found anything. Lots of other nifty
    >>extensions have shown up, though! <g>
    >>
    >>Does anyone know of an extension that does this? Appreciate it.

    > Does anyone know of an extension that does this?
    >
    > Thanks.

    I'm not exactly sure of what you are asking for.
    The History keeps track of the urls you have visited (automatically)
    You can bookmark any page you wish
    Moz Champion, Apr 5, 2005
  7. On 4/5/2005 5:17 PM, Moz Champion said:
    >>> IE does this automatically. Since I switched to Firefox, have been
    >>> having to do a manual workaround and this takes too much time. I'm
    >>> sure someone has come up with an extension that automatically saves
    >>> the URL in the html page we save of a webpage we've visited, but I've
    >>> googled and googled and haven't found anything. Lots of other nifty
    >>> extensions have shown up, though! <g>
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone know of an extension that does this? Appreciate it.

    >> Does anyone know of an extension that does this?

    > I'm not exactly sure of what you are asking for.
    > The History keeps track of the urls you have visited (automatically)
    > You can bookmark any page you wish

    What I *think* the OP means is that, when you save a whole page to your
    hard drive, there would be some sort of note embedded about that page's
    original URL. I see what you mean, though -- it was a rather ambiguous
    request!

    cheers,

    David H
    David Harrison, Apr 5, 2005

    David Harrison, Apr 5, 2005
  9. S.Rodgers

    S.Rodgers Guest

    On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 17:31:30 +0100, David Harrison
    <> wrote:

    >>> Does anyone know of an extension that does this?

    >> I'm not exactly sure of what you are asking for.
    >> The History keeps track of the urls you have visited (automatically)
    >> You can bookmark any page you wish

    >What I *think* the OP means is that, when you save a whole page to your
    >hard drive, there would be some sort of note embedded about that page's
    >original URL. I see what you mean, though -- it was a rather ambiguous
    >request!

    Yes, that is it exactly.

    Is there an extension that does this pls?

    If you didn't know what I meant, and it was pretty straightforward if
    you ever saved webpages in IE, it's because you've not used this
    feature before. Granted, IE is not everyone's favourite and it isn't
    mine either, but all issues of security aside, IE has a couple of
    built-in features like saving the source URL within the HTML code in
    any page saved onto an HDD, etc. I'm looking for an extension that
    gives me that functionality in FF.

    Thanks.
    S.Rodgers, Apr 6, 2005
  10. S.Rodgers

    Moz Champion Guest

    S.Rodgers wrote:
    > On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 17:31:30 +0100, David Harrison
    > <> wrote:

    >>>I'm not exactly sure of what you are asking for.
    >>>The History keeps track of the urls you have visited (automatically)
    >>>You can bookmark any page you wish

    >>What I *think* the OP means is that, when you save a whole page to your
    >>hard drive, there would be some sort of note embedded about that page's
    >>original URL. I see what you mean, though -- it was a rather ambiguous
    >>request!

    > Yes, that is it exactly.
    >
    > Is there an extension that does this pls?
    >
    > If you didn't know what I meant, and it was pretty straightforward if
    > you ever saved webpages in IE, it's because you've not used this
    > feature before. Granted, IE is not everyone's favourite and it isn't
    > mine either, but all issues of security aside, IE has a couple of
    > built-in features like saving the source URL within the HTML code in
    > any page saved onto an HDD, etc. I'm looking for an extension that
    > gives me that functionality in FF.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Hmm, okay, I see what you mean.
    Workarounds include renaming the page when saved to reflect the url, but
    that may be the solution you find as cumbersome

    Some extensions that you may find useful in your quest
    http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=522 Copy URL Plus 1.3
    http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=28 Create Shortcut 0.3
    http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=1214 File Title 0.1
    "Save as" title as default like in IE

    I didnt go thru the complete list of extensions, but those three
    (especially the last one) may be of assistance
    Moz Champion, Apr 6, 2005
  11. S.Rodgers

    S.Rodgers Guest

    On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 03:52:56 GMT, Moz Champion
    <> wrote:

    >S.Rodgers wrote:
    >> On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 17:31:30 +0100, David Harrison
    >> <> wrote:

    >>>What I *think* the OP means is that, when you save a whole page to your
    >>>hard drive, there would be some sort of note embedded about that page's
    >>>original URL. I see what you mean, though -- it was a rather ambiguous
    >>>request!

    >> Yes, that is it exactly.
    >>
    >> Is there an extension that does this pls?
    >>
    >> If you didn't know what I meant, and it was pretty straightforward if
    >> you ever saved webpages in IE, it's because you've not used this
    >> feature before. Granted, IE is not everyone's favourite and it isn't
    >> mine either, but all issues of security aside, IE has a couple of
    >> built-in features like saving the source URL within the HTML code in
    >> any page saved onto an HDD, etc. I'm looking for an extension that
    >> gives me that functionality in FF.
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>

    >Hmm, okay, I see what you mean.
    >Workarounds include renaming the page when saved to reflect the url, but
    >that may be the solution you find as cumbersome
    >
    >Some extensions that you may find useful in your quest
    >http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=522 Copy URL Plus 1.3
    >http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=28 Create Shortcut 0.3
    >http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=1214 File Title 0.1
    > "Save as" title as default like in IE
    >
    >I didnt go thru the complete list of extensions, but those three
    >(especially the last one) may be of assistance

    These extensions are great, thank you. I see, though, that none do
    what is needed <sigh>. Ah well, it's worth a try. My searches and
    scrolling through descriptions of probably about a hundred extensions
    didn't reveal anything. I have the "View this page in IE" extension
    so when I need to save a page, I just re-open in IE and save. What
    can one do? I am dependent on IE when I need to save a page that I
    will keep (which is often) and when I need to retrieve components from
    a webpage, though I do find that my newly acquired "Download Embedded"
    extension works sometimes with some of the elements of a webpage I
    need to save.

    I'll keep using IE for now when saving pages. I save too many when
    I'm doing research to fiddle. I'll save quite a few pages during a
    research session then go back immediately, or days or weeks (and once
    or twice months) later and only keep what I need. I extract the
    source URL and have an AutoIt script to put it at the top of the saved
    pages I do keep so that when the saved page is opened, I can go to to
    source URL easily and quickly.

    p.s., I just though it might have been better had I included an
    example of what IE does. From one of the extensions pages saved above
    using IE, here is what the first 3 lines or so look like when opened
    in Notepad:

    "http://www.w3c.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/loose.dtd">
    <!-- saved from
    url=(0053)http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=28 -->
    <HTML lang=en xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"
    xml:lang="en"><HEAD><TITLE>Create Shortcut 0.3 - The Extensions Mirror

    That "saved from" line is where I extract the URL from. I'll just
    copy that address to the clipboard, invoke an AutoIt script I wrote up
    and dump the path into the box I scripted up to appear and it will
    dump the same line above into the saved webpage opened in Notepad, but
    will also give me a clickable link:

    "... <!--HTML doc's URL:-->
    <b><font color=#00FFFF><A HREF="<OCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML
    4.01 Transitional//EN"
    "http://www.w3c.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/loose.dtd">">
    <OCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
    "http://www.w3c.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/loose.dtd">
    </A></b></font>

    When I next open that saved HTML page, I just click on the link at the
    top of the page and get to the original webpage I saved this from.

    Hope that's not too, too confusing. If you save as many webpages as I
    do, you find the quickest and easiest way to do this. I found apps
    that were written to do this (i.e., InjectURL) fail often. This works
    every time with no fuss, no muss for me.

    Well, I'll keep looking. Someone, somewhere needs this, too.

    In an emergency when I don't want to be bothered by opening IE, the
    other extensions above wouldn't really be as I just use the "SendTo"
    extension which saves the URL for any text snippet I highlight, not
    unlike the "CopyURL+" extension above except I only get a URL.

    Thanks much. I'm testing the rest of the extensions. Appreciate it.
    S.Rodgers, Apr 6, 2005
  12. S.Rodgers

    S.Rodgers Guest

    On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 10:34:56 -0400, S.Rodgers
    <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 03:52:56 GMT, Moz Champion
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>S.Rodgers wrote:

    [snip]

    >>Some extensions that you may find useful in your quest
    >>http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=522 Copy URL Plus 1.3
    >>http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=28 Create Shortcut 0.3
    >>http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=1214 File Title 0.1
    >> "Save as" title as default like in IE

    Just thought I'd give a quick review of what I found. CopyURL+, good,
    but I can do the same and better with "SendTo" simply because I'm
    going to copy info I need anyway and what CopyURL+ saves I don't need.
    Also, SendTo saves URL at top of page with date/time of text capture
    which is definitely something I _do_ need. But cool extension,
    nonetheless.

    Create Shortcut is awesome. Much better, for me, than DeskCut so I
    uninstalled it and am keeping Shortcut. I took off the prompt so that
    it just saves the shortcut like in IE with no fuss, no muss. Also,
    the name of the extension much better than create "deskcut" (?). <g>

    File Title, this one I didn't see any benefit to. But would be good
    for many.

    Thanks for these. I always have fun fine-tuning my FF and trying
    these out. If I can just get an extension to automatically save the
    source URL within the HTML page saved on the HDD, that would make FF
    practically perfect <g>.

    Cheers! :eek:D
    S.Rodgers, Apr 6, 2005
  13. On 4/6/2005 3:34 PM, S.Rodgers said:

    > p.s., I just though it might have been better had I included an
    > example of what IE does. From one of the extensions pages saved above
    > using IE, here is what the first 3 lines or so look like when opened
    > in Notepad:

    > "http://www.w3c.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/loose.dtd">
    > <!-- saved from
    > url=(0053)http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=28 -->

    [Scuse the snippage, Moz Champion et al, but it's getting kind of long!]

    Actually, that's not a bad idea. It might be nice to see that as a check
    box in the 'Save Page As' dialog box: "Embed HTML comment on page's
    original URL" or something...

    cheers,

    David H
    David Harrison, Apr 6, 2005
  14. S.Rodgers

    S.Rodgers Guest

    On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 16:07:57 +0100, David Harrison
    <> wrote:

    >On 4/6/2005 3:34 PM, S.Rodgers said:
    >
    >> p.s., I just though it might have been better had I included an
    >> example of what IE does. From one of the extensions pages saved above
    >> using IE, here is what the first 3 lines or so look like when opened
    >> in Notepad:
    >>
    >> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
    >> "http://www.w3c.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/loose.dtd">
    >> <!-- saved from
    >> url=(0053)http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=28 -->

    >[Scuse the snippage, Moz Champion et al, but it's getting kind of long!]
    >

    >Actually, that's not a bad idea. It might be nice to see that as a check
    >box in the 'Save Page As' dialog box: "Embed HTML comment on page's
    >original URL" or something...
    >
    >cheers,

    Yes, I feell it would make a good extension. I'm still opening up
    pages I want in IE whenever I need source URL. Because the source is
    copied, I can save tons of pages onto my desktop for later review.
    Sometimes I'm coming back to these days or weeks later, so it's a neat
    thing that IE does without one doing anything. ('course, I'm really
    so getting used to the power of FF with all these extensions! <g>)
    S.Rodgers, Apr 24, 2005