extension lenses and compact digital cameras

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by veritas, Jul 2, 2007.

  1. veritas

    veritas Guest

    Hi ,

    I have seen recently that there are some compacts that have the option
    of screwing on a new lens to archive a wide lens ( sort of like an
    slr is able to do ) .

    Which compact digital cameras are these ?

    I am thinking of getting a Canon Powershot 850 IS .
     
    veritas, Jul 2, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. veritas

    veritas Guest

    Hi ,

    I have seen recently that there are some compacts that have the option
    of screwing on a new lens ( sort of like an SLR is able to do ) or
    extension tube (?) .

    Which compact digital cameras are these ?

    I am thinking of getting a Canon Powershot 850 IS .Is this able to
    change lenses ?

    Does anyone have any idea ?

    Thanks in advance .
     
    veritas, Jul 2, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. veritas

    Charles Guest

    On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 14:12:32 +1000, veritas <veritas@coming_soon.com>
    wrote:

    >Hi ,
    >
    >I have seen recently that there are some compacts that have the option
    >of screwing on a new lens ( sort of like an SLR is able to do ) or
    >extension tube (?) .
    >
    >Which compact digital cameras are these ?
    >
    >I am thinking of getting a Canon Powershot 850 IS .Is this able to
    >change lenses ?
    >
    >Does anyone have any idea ?
    >
    >Thanks in advance .



    From the pictures and info on the canon website, I don't see any way
    to attach an accessory lens. I would guess that an accessory lens
    would confuse the IS feature, so would not be a good idea.
     
    Charles, Jul 2, 2007
    #3
  4. veritas

    veritas Guest

    On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 04:27:06 GMT, Charles <>
    wrote:


    >
    >From the pictures and info on the canon website, I don't see any way
    >to attach an accessory lens. I would guess that an accessory lens
    >would confuse the IS feature, so would not be a good idea.



    I saw a TV program about this recently. I think it was a Panasonic
    compact that was able to add another lens and thus become wide angle
    etc .(??)

    I thought someone here might know which compacts could change lenses
    like this or be modified etc so they can act like mini SLR's .

    I've tried looking on the web but found nothing .
     
    veritas, Jul 2, 2007
    #4
  5. veritas

    Charles Guest

    On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 14:32:49 +1000, veritas <veritas@coming_soon.com>
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 04:27:06 GMT, Charles <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >
    >>
    >>From the pictures and info on the canon website, I don't see any way
    >>to attach an accessory lens. I would guess that an accessory lens
    >>would confuse the IS feature, so would not be a good idea.

    >
    >
    >I saw a TV program about this recently. I think it was a Panasonic
    >compact that was able to add another lens and thus become wide angle
    >etc .(??)
    >
    >I thought someone here might know which compacts could change lenses
    >like this or be modified etc so they can act like mini SLR's .
    >
    >I've tried looking on the web but found nothing .



    My old Nikon 990 does that.

    There is some info on CKC Power website

    http://www.ckcpower.com/digicams.htm

    The part about adapters is what you are looking for. Cameras with
    filter attachment threads would be easiest to mount an accessory lens
    on, one of the Sony cameras had a means to mount a tube around the
    lens and put the extra lens on it. I don't remember the model number.

    Do some Google searching for digiscoping, you might find someone has
    compiled a list of cameras that would work for this.
     
    Charles, Jul 2, 2007
    #5
  6. veritas

    Charles Guest

    On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 04:45:54 GMT, Charles <>
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 14:32:49 +1000, veritas <veritas@coming_soon.com>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 04:27:06 GMT, Charles <>
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>
    >>>From the pictures and info on the canon website, I don't see any way
    >>>to attach an accessory lens. I would guess that an accessory lens
    >>>would confuse the IS feature, so would not be a good idea.

    >>
    >>
    >>I saw a TV program about this recently. I think it was a Panasonic
    >>compact that was able to add another lens and thus become wide angle
    >>etc .(??)
    >>
    >>I thought someone here might know which compacts could change lenses
    >>like this or be modified etc so they can act like mini SLR's .
    >>
    >>I've tried looking on the web but found nothing .

    >
    >
    >My old Nikon 990 does that.
    >
    >There is some info on CKC Power website
    >
    >http://www.ckcpower.com/digicams.htm
    >
    >The part about adapters is what you are looking for. Cameras with
    >filter attachment threads would be easiest to mount an accessory lens
    >on, one of the Sony cameras had a means to mount a tube around the
    >lens and put the extra lens on it. I don't remember the model number.
    >
    >Do some Google searching for digiscoping, you might find someone has
    >compiled a list of cameras that would work for this.



    A bit of info is here: http://www.eagleeyeuk.com/what_do_I_need.htm
     
    Charles, Jul 2, 2007
    #6
  7. veritas

    ASAAR Guest

    On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 12:57:36 +1000, veritas wrote:

    > I have seen recently that there are some compacts that have the option
    > of screwing on a new lens to archive a wide lens ( sort of like an
    > slr is able to do ) .
    >
    > Which compact digital cameras are these ?
    >
    > I am thinking of getting a Canon Powershot 850 IS .


    Download Canon's manual for the 850 IS, but I think you're going
    to be disappointed with that model. I just checked the manual for
    the relatively similar PowerShot SD600 and there are no lens options
    available for it from Canon. These cameras were probably
    intentionally designed without the ability to add conversion lenses,
    since "smallness" was perhaps the prime consideration for these
    cameras, and add-on lenses are usually quite bulky.

    This doesn't mean that no add-on lens is possible. Canon doesn't
    make any add-on lenses for my old, small PowerShot S10 and S20, but
    there was a company that made a Rube Goldberg-like contraption for
    it that held an adapter lens in front of the camera's own lens.

    Many of the slightly larger Canon cameras are designed to mate
    with add-on lenses, and Canon sells these for models such as the
    PowerShots A540 (but not for the similar A530), A610, A620, A630,
    A640, A700, A710 IS, G7, etc. Your best option, though, especially
    considering the added cost and added bulk, would be to get a small
    camera with a much wider range zoom that includes the focal length
    range of the PS 850IS as a small subset.

    Conversion lenses have what some people might consider to be
    severe drawbacks compared to wider range zooms. Without the
    conversion lens, you can use the entire range of the zoom's
    available focal lengths. But when a wide angle conversion lens is
    mounted, you often get poor performance when zoomed to the long end
    of the zoom. Similarly, when telephoto conversion lenses are
    mounted you often get poor performance when the camera is zoomed
    towards the wide end of the focal length range. Also, the
    conversion lenses are usually available with only modest
    multipliers, to maintain image quality. For Canon's A620, the wide
    adapter is 0.7x and the tele adapter is 1.75x. If these were
    available for the 850IS's 4x lens, they would change the camera's
    zoom range to 5.7x (wide) or 7x (tele), but not as well as a camera
    that has a normal 6x or 10x range, since to be able to go from one
    end of the extended zoom range to the other would require attaching
    and detaching the add-on lens. Quite inconvenient.

    But perhaps a bigger drawback is that because of the size of the
    wide angle conversion lens, it usually blocks at least part of the
    camera's flash output, creating horrible dark areas in large parts
    of the image. If you want a really wide zoom range, I'd suggest
    something other than Canon's Elph/Ixus line of cameras. Canon's G7
    is slightly larger, has IS and a 6x lens. The Powershot S5 IS is
    much larger and has a 12x lens. These currently sell for about
    $500. You may be better off checking out Panasonic's 10x DMC-TZ2
    and DMC-TZ3. They're larger than the PS 850IS, but still reasonably
    small and reasonably priced, about $300. They also go to a wider
    28mm, versus the 850IS's (I think) 35mm on its wide end. A 0.7x
    wide adapter lens would only reduce the 850IS's focal length to
    26.6mm, not a great deal wider than TZ2 and TZ3's 28mm.
     
    ASAAR, Jul 2, 2007
    #7
  8. veritas wrote:
    > I have seen recently that there are some compacts that have the option
    > of screwing on a new lens to archive a wide lens (sort of like an
    > slr is able to do).


    Are you talking about adding some accessory to the existing lens or about
    replacing the existing lens with a different one?

    > Which compact digital cameras are these?


    If you are talking about adding an accessory lens then Nikon offered several
    for my old Coolpix 880. From the manual:
    - ES-E28 slide copying adapter
    - FC-E8 fisheye lens converter
    - WC-E24/WC-E63 wide angle lens converters
    - TC-E2 2x telephoto lens converter
    - TC-E3ED 3x telephoto lens converter

    For new cameras I don't know.

    jue
     
    Jürgen Exner, Jul 2, 2007
    #8
  9. veritas

    Guest

    On Jul 2, 1:02 am, ASAAR <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 12:57:36 +1000, veritas wrote:
    > > I have seen recently that there are some compacts that have the option
    > > of screwing on a new lens to archive a wide lens ( sort of like an
    > > slr is able to do ) .

    >
    > > Which compact digital cameras are these ?

    >
    > > I am thinking of getting a Canon Powershot 850 IS .

    >
    > Download Canon's manual for the 850 IS, but I think you're going
    > to be disappointed with that model. I just checked the manual for
    > the relatively similar PowerShot SD600 and there are no lens options
    > available for it from Canon. These cameras were probably
    > intentionally designed without the ability to add conversion lenses,
    > since "smallness" was perhaps the prime consideration for these
    > cameras, and add-on lenses are usually quite bulky.
    >
    > This doesn't mean that no add-on lens is possible. Canon doesn't
    > make any add-on lenses for my old, small PowerShot S10 and S20, but
    > there was a company that made a Rube Goldberg-like contraption for
    > it that held an adapter lens in front of the camera's own lens.
    >
    > Many of the slightly larger Canon cameras are designed to mate
    > with add-on lenses, and Canon sells these for models such as the
    > PowerShots A540 (but not for the similar A530), A610, A620, A630,
    > A640, A700, A710 IS, G7, etc. Your best option, though, especially
    > considering the added cost and added bulk, would be to get a small
    > camera with a much wider range zoom that includes the focal length
    > range of the PS 850IS as a small subset.
    >
    > Conversion lenses have what some people might consider to be
    > severe drawbacks compared to wider range zooms. Without the
    > conversion lens, you can use the entire range of the zoom's
    > available focal lengths. But when a wide angle conversion lens is
    > mounted, you often get poor performance when zoomed to the long end
    > of the zoom. Similarly, when telephoto conversion lenses are
    > mounted you often get poor performance when the camera is zoomed
    > towards the wide end of the focal length range. Also, the
    > conversion lenses are usually available with only modest
    > multipliers, to maintain image quality. For Canon's A620, the wide
    > adapter is 0.7x and the tele adapter is 1.75x. If these were
    > available for the 850IS's 4x lens, they would change the camera's
    > zoom range to 5.7x (wide) or 7x (tele), but not as well as a camera
    > that has a normal 6x or 10x range, since to be able to go from one
    > end of the extended zoom range to the other would require attaching
    > and detaching the add-on lens. Quite inconvenient.
    >
    > But perhaps a bigger drawback is that because of the size of the
    > wide angle conversion lens, it usually blocks at least part of the
    > camera's flash output, creating horrible dark areas in large parts
    > of the image. If you want a really wide zoom range, I'd suggest
    > something other than Canon's Elph/Ixus line of cameras. Canon's G7
    > is slightly larger, has IS and a 6x lens. The Powershot S5 IS is
    > much larger and has a 12x lens. These currently sell for about
    > $500. You may be better off checking out Panasonic's 10x DMC-TZ2
    > and DMC-TZ3. They're larger than the PS 850IS, but still reasonably
    > small and reasonably priced, about $300. They also go to a wider
    > 28mm, versus the 850IS's (I think) 35mm on its wide end. A 0.7x
    > wide adapter lens would only reduce the 850IS's focal length to
    > 26.6mm, not a great deal wider than TZ2 and TZ3's 28mm.


    you speak correctly regarding the shadow caused by the conversion lens
    attachment and flash. I've a sony w200, a telephoto and wide lens
    attachments; both are sony leica andperhaps I am too demanding, but I
    am not happy with the image quality they provide; I did expect a lot
    better, but for the money, compared to dslr and portability I
    shouldn't complain; but the telephoto is a waste.
     
    , Jul 2, 2007
    #9
  10. veritas wrote:
    > Hi ,
    >
    > I have seen recently that there are some compacts that have the option
    > of screwing on a new lens to archive a wide lens ( sort of like an
    > slr is able to do ) .
    >
    > Which compact digital cameras are these ?
    >
    > I am thinking of getting a Canon Powershot 850 IS .


    Several cameras in the Panasonic range offer add-on wide-angle and
    telephoto extensions. They also offer excellent quality Leica lenses, and
    optical image stabilisation which can help you get sharp images even with
    the long telephoto lenses these cameras have. I don't know if all these
    cameras would meet your definition of "compact".

    David
     
    David J Taylor, Jul 2, 2007
    #10
  11. veritas

    veritas Guest

    On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 12:57:36 +1000, veritas <veritas@coming_soon.com>
    wrote:

    >Hi ,
    >
    >I have seen recently that there are some compacts that have the option
    >of screwing on a new lens to archive a wide lens ( sort of like an
    >slr is able to do ) .
    >
    >Which compact digital cameras are these ?
    >
    >I am thinking of getting a Canon Powershot 850 IS .



    Hi everyone ,

    I found the TV program listing . I live in Sydney, Australia now (
    just moved from Los Angeles,CA ) but you can check out these cameras
    that were shown to see what I'm talking about . It was the program
    that aired on " Monday, June 12 , 2007 " on this web page ( with the
    cameras and extras shown ) :


    http://seven.com.au/sunrise/regular_peteblasina


    Any opinions ?
     
    veritas, Jul 2, 2007
    #11
  12. veritas

    SMS Guest

    veritas wrote:
    > Hi ,
    >
    > I have seen recently that there are some compacts that have the option
    > of screwing on a new lens to archive a wide lens ( sort of like an
    > slr is able to do ) .
    >
    > Which compact digital cameras are these ?
    >
    > I am thinking of getting a Canon Powershot 850 IS .
    >


    Check "http://www.lensmateonline.com/" but I didn't see anything for the
    850 IS.

    The 850 IS is really a "sub-compact" not a compact. The Lensmate
    products are for compact cameras where there is something for the tube
    to attach to. There are some workarounds to this, i.e. Adorama made an
    extension lens adapter for the S500, and the 850 IS is similar, so you
    might contact them about it. They made similar devices for several other
    cameras as well.

    "http://www.adorama.com/ATACA14T.html?searchinfo=ATACA14T&item_no=1"

    Search for "T-Thread Adapter Kit".

    Steve
    http://batterydata.com
    Earth's Independent Source for Unbiased Digital Camera Battery Information
     
    SMS, Jul 2, 2007
    #12
  13. veritas

    veritas Guest

    On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 16:35:29 +1000, veritas <veritas@coming_soon.com>
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 12:57:36 +1000, veritas <veritas@coming_soon.com>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Hi ,
    >>
    >>I have seen recently that there are some compacts that have the option
    >>of screwing on a new lens to archive a wide lens ( sort of like an
    >>slr is able to do ) .
    >>
    >>Which compact digital cameras are these ?
    >>
    >>I am thinking of getting a Canon Powershot 850 IS .

    >
    >
    >Hi everyone ,
    >
    >I found the TV program listing . I live in Sydney, Australia now (
    >just moved from Los Angeles,CA ) but you can check out these cameras
    >that were shown to see what I'm talking about . It was the program
    >that aired on " Monday, June 12 , 2007 " on this web page ( with the
    >cameras and extras shown ) :
    >
    >
    > http://seven.com.au/sunrise/regular_peteblasina
    >
    >
    >Any opinions ?



    These are the cameras that were shown that day on that TV program I
    saw . Click on the "gadgetguy.com.au" link for each camera below in
    the following web page for June 12 , 2007 :


    http://seven.com.au/sunrise/regular_peteblasina

    CAMERAS :

    Canon IXUS 850 IS
    RRP: $699.00 AUD
    Available: Camera stores, Electrical retailers


    Panasonic Lumix FX30
    RRP: $659.00 AUD
    Available: Camera stores, Electrical retailers


    Nikon Coolpix P5000
    RRP: $649.00 AUD
    Available: Camera stores, Electrical retailers


    Ricoh Caplio GX100
    RRP: $799.00 AUD
    Available: Camera stores, Electrical retailers


    Any opinions ? The Ricoh has that lens addition.
     
    veritas, Jul 2, 2007
    #13
  14. veritas wrote:
    []
    > Any opinions ? The Ricoh has that lens addition.


    ... that you would be better off getting a camera which covers the range
    you need, rather than messing with extension lenses. They reduce
    performance, and can take time to fit so that the shot you wanted has
    gone.

    For example, Panasonic offer medium sized cameras with a 36 -432mm zoom
    range and compact cameras with a 28 - 280mm zoom range:

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicFZ8/ (ZLR)

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonictz3/ (compact)

    and Olympus offer an even greater zoom range (28 - 504mm), but some early
    reports were not enthusiastic:

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympussp550uz/ (ZLR)

    Cheers,
    David
     
    David J Taylor, Jul 2, 2007
    #14
  15. veritas

    bugbear Guest

    veritas wrote:
    > Hi ,
    >
    > I have seen recently that there are some compacts that have the option
    > of screwing on a new lens to archive a wide lens ( sort of like an
    > slr is able to do ) .


    These extension lenses are rather expensive.

    http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Conversion-Adapter-Digital-Cameras/dp/B0007MGFHI
    http://www.amazon.com/Canon-WC-DC52...HQ25/ref=pd_bxgy_p_text_b/103-5678907-3932659
    http://www.amazon.com/Canon-TCDC58N...3932659?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1183452739&sr=1-8

    If you require what they can do you're better
    off (IMHO) going for either a bridge camera
    (that has sort-of-equivalent capabilities)
    or a dSLR.

    BugBear
     
    bugbear, Jul 3, 2007
    #15
  16. veritas

    ray Guest

    On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 12:57:36 +1000, veritas wrote:

    > Hi ,
    >
    > I have seen recently that there are some compacts that have the option
    > of screwing on a new lens to archive a wide lens ( sort of like an
    > slr is able to do ) .
    >
    > Which compact digital cameras are these ?
    >
    > I am thinking of getting a Canon Powershot 850 IS .


    That's really nothing new, I have a 2x extender for my Kodak DC210+, a 1mp
    camera which hasn't been made for about 8 years.
     
    ray, Jul 3, 2007
    #16
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. zxcvar
    Replies:
    12
    Views:
    920
    (Pete Cresswell)
    Jan 4, 2004
  2. Lee Chen
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    534
    Lee Chen
    Dec 1, 2004
  3. madz

    Conversion lenses and compact digital camera

    madz, Feb 7, 2005, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    237
  4. wagwheel

    Cameras--Cameras--Cameras

    wagwheel, Mar 31, 2007, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    455
    Mark B.
    Apr 1, 2007
  5. wagwheel

    Cameras--Cameras--Cameras

    wagwheel, Apr 1, 2007, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    438
    Ken Lucke
    Apr 1, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page