    I'll still have access to them from my laptop).

    Is this possible? If so, what would I need?

    Thanks in advance...

    Fish, Dec 15, 2007

  2. Fish

    Lem Guest

    Fish wrote:
    > I have a home wireless network and want to set up some type of external
    > hard drive to back up and store large files that I use, but don't want
    > taking up room on my laptop.
    >
    > Not sure if I'm using the right language, but I want to have a drive on
    > my laptop that is this external hard drive. It also needs to be set up
    > wirelessley. So in essence I will have a much bigger hard drive on my
    > laptop because I will just use this drive that is the external hard
    > drive to store larger files (so these files won't take up space on my
    > laptop, but I'll still have access to them from my laptop).
    >
    > Is this possible? If so, what would I need?
    >
    > Thanks in advance...

    If you want to be able to access the files from *any* computer on your
    home network regardless of whether the laptop is running, then the
    device you want is called "network attached storage" or NAS.
    Prices, capacities, and features vary considerably. Some of these
    devices have multiple drives that can be used for redundancy, and others
    have their own built-in wireless adapter.
    For example, http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/content/view/85/93/
    http://www.pcmag.com/category2/0,1738,677853,00.asp
    http://hardwarelogic.com/news/138/ARTICLE/1667/2007-11-14.html

    Otherwise, you can share files on an external drive attached
    (physically, e.g., USB, FireWare, eSATA) to your laptop the same way you
    can share any other resource on your laptop.
    http://www.consumersearch.com/www/computers/external-hard-drives/reviews.html

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

    Lem, Dec 15, 2007