Extending Wireless Range

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by jake550, Nov 20, 2007.

  1. jake550

    jake550 Guest

    Hi,

    I have a laptop with a intel 3495 wireless card, I need to extend the
    range of this card to connect to a wireless point (I have permission)
    but asking them to connect an antenna to their access point is not an
    option.

    I have looked at buying atennas but they all use the SMA connection
    which my laptop does not have.

    I have looked at buying a wifi usb card of ebay but it will not support
    all my wireless software, i really need to extend the range of my card
    without purchasing another....

    Any Ideas???

    View this thread: http://www.wirelessforums.org/showthread.php?t=32742
    http://www.wirelessforums.org

    jake550, Nov 20, 2007

  2. jake550

    Todd H. Guest

    jake550 <> writes:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a laptop with a intel 3495 wireless card, I need to extend the
    > range of this card to connect to a wireless point (I have permission)
    > but asking them to connect an antenna to their access point is not an
    > option.
    >
    > I have looked at buying atennas but they all use the SMA connection
    > which my laptop does not have.
    >
    > I have looked at buying a wifi usb card of ebay but it will not support
    > all my wireless software, i really need to extend the range of my card
    > without purchasing another....
    >
    > Any Ideas???

    Short of an ugly hardware hack that if not perfectly done may actually
    harm your range, you're stuck.

    There are pcmcia cards out there from 2-wire that come in a lot of dsl
    home networking kits that should be easy to find. I'm staring at one
    in front of me here, and I believe they're the exact same guts as the
    Orinico Gold b/g cards. It also has an external antenna connector.

    Some things off of it
    2Wire
    P/N 019461/d
    Agere Systems
    PC24E-11-FC/R

    For instance, here's a place selling them for $30:
    http://www.pcliquidations.com/item.asp?id=1525

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

    Todd H., Nov 20, 2007

  3. jake550

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 10:30:05 -0500, jake550
    <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I have a laptop with a intel 3495 wireless card, I need to extend the
    >range of this card to connect to a wireless point (I have permission)
    >but asking them to connect an antenna to their access point is not an
    >option.
    >
    >I have looked at buying atennas but they all use the SMA connection
    >which my laptop does not have.
    >
    >I have looked at buying a wifi usb card of ebay but it will not support
    >all my wireless software, i really need to extend the range of my card
    >without purchasing another....
    >
    >Any Ideas???

    There are no 'zero money' solutions.

    You need to get another compatible card that supports an external
    antenna, or an access point that will work in repeater mode sited
    to be able to receive the access point and communicate with your
    laptop.
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Nov 21, 2007
  4. jake550

    Unruh Guest

    jake550 <> writes:

    >Hi,

    >I have a laptop with a intel 3495 wireless card, I need to extend the
    >range of this card to connect to a wireless point (I have permission)
    >but asking them to connect an antenna to their access point is not an
    >option.

    Why? Offer to buy them one. It will be cheaper than what you are trying to
    do.

    Unruh, Nov 22, 2007