    Can I fit some cable to the network card and some sort of aerial so I can
    put the aerial nearer to his AP.

    Advice please
    yar, Jun 15, 2005

  2. yar

    Dave Guest

    yes, but you need pretty good cable because of the high frequencies, and the
    connectors they use on some cards is not an easy one to find. before doing
    that try:
    1. move your antenna just a bit one way or another, just inches maybe, and
    try tilting it up, down, and sideways.
    2. move your antenna away from your monitor, tv, cordless phone, get it as
    far in the open as possible.
    3. see if you can get him to move the access point a bit and make sure its
    away from cordless phones, etc. on his end.
    4. have him check to see if there is a power setting he can change to get
    more power out.
    5. have him change channels, maybe there is something interfering with the
    channel he is on.

    Dave, Jun 15, 2005

  3. What might be better is to get a WAP yourself.
    Then see if you can join your friends network.
    Get one that acts as a repeater so that it will provide a strong signal
    broadcast.
    You might actually end up with a WAP network for your building so you might
    need ones that act as routers as well.

    Remember the design capbilities it's the WAP that provides the stronger
    signal..all the PC and Wlan devices are designed to listen to the WAP so
    they have smaller broadcast ranges, because they are mobile the device goes
    closer to the WAP not the other way about.

    Remeber and take the usual security steps to stop war drivers hacking you as
    well.

    Good luck

    Cheers

    =?Utf-8?B?V2hpdGVjcmFuZQ==?=, Jun 15, 2005
  4. opps forgot to say it's attenuation that you are suffer from,well sounds like
    it to me, basically it's signal loss due to obstacles and other radio
    frequencies..another reason to get your own WAP

    =?Utf-8?B?V2hpdGVjcmFuZQ==?=, Jun 15, 2005