    can get good signal close, but not away from the house, even with the
    external antenna on top of the house. Please give me some ideas as to what
    I am doing wrong. Thanks in advance for any help, Jeff

    jesseok, Dec 30, 2008

  2. jesseok

    David B. Guest

    How far away from the router are you?

    --

    ----
    Help Us Help You http://dts-l.net/goodpost.htm

    David B., Dec 30, 2008

  3. > "jesseok" <> wrote in message
    >>I have an RV campground and want to extend my wireless to the campground
    >>immediately behind my home. I have a Cisco Router and have bought an
    >>external antenna. ISP is good with this so I am trying to figure out why I
    >>can get good signal close, but not away from the house, even with the
    >>external antenna on top of the house.

    You're only going to get about 300 feet max out of it with the "pactical
    usable" range of around 100 to 150 feet. The "N" band devices may do
    better on the range but I wouldn't expected the results to be as good as
    they brag about on the packages because the motto is "Over Market -- Under
    Deliver".

    Also Campers with metal skins are going to block and possbily reflect or
    defract the signal.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    Phillip Windell, Dec 30, 2008
  4. Hi
    WIFI signal can travel a distance when there is a total Clear Line of sight.
    Any obstructions reduces the signal very fast, especially Metal and live
    vegetation.
    In order to cover the area you might need to create a WDS System. (
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_Distribution_System ).
    The general approach to Coverage issues is the following.
    You start with One affordable Router that can Do WDS.
    Routers that can do WDS as is are sold by (Asus, SMC, Belkin, and some
    others).
    Using a Laptop loaded with Netstumbler, do a Wireless survey in the
    targeted area, http://www.netstumbler.com/downloads/
    According to the Netstumbler's signal strength reading, identify spots that
    have strong signal. and spot with weak, or No signal.
    Evaluate how you can cover the space and start placing WDS units.
    Additional Wireless Routers in WDS Mode (Wireless Network - Configuration
    Modes. ) has to be placed in spots were the signal is good about Half way to
    the dead spots.
    How many WDS units are needed? It depends on your specific environment (that
    is a good the reason to buying WDS units one at the time, try it, and decide
    on the Next step).
    Otherwise.
    Wireless Router as an AP - http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
    Wireless Modes - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Modes.html