    addresses from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.5, or would the router only
    assign IP address to 1.4, leaving the router to create its own LAN, of
    sorts?

    yawnmoth, Aug 20, 2004

  2. yawnmoth

    Jim Berwick Guest

    (yawnmoth) wrote in news:a0d63404.0408201105.36ee3fb0
    @posting.google.com:

    > say i have a 4-port router that assigns, via DHCP, consecutive IP
    > addresses, starting from 192.168.1.1, and i have five computers. if i
    > were to plug a hub or a switch into one of the ports on the router and
    > plug two of my computers into the hub, would the router then assign IP
    > addresses from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.5, or would the router only
    > assign IP address to 1.4, leaving the router to create its own LAN, of
    > sorts?

    The router will give IP addresses to anything that is connected to it,
    including computers on a separate switch or hub that is connected to the
    router.

    Jim Berwick, Aug 20, 2004

  3. Hi,

    It doesn't matter if you plug in a switch or a hub into a port on the
    router, your 5th pc will be assigned an IP Address from your router.

    You will obviously need to check your documentation for both the router and
    the hub to check whether you need to use a cross-over cable / uplink port on
    the router or whether you can just use a normal straight-through cable from
    your router to your hub.

    Regards,

    James Travers \(Hotmail\), Aug 21, 2004