Extending Path Range in Dos Mode

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Brad, May 10, 2006.

  1. Brad

    Brad Guest

    Hi,

    In Dos mode (Windows shut down), I suspect the reason you can't enter a
    directory that is at the end of a long path, is due to a limited amount of
    space (that holds your location "path") in the "environment"
    (memory used by Dos). As you try to "CD" (change directory),
    you will receive an "Invalid Directory" message (normally seen when
    you miss-spell the name of a directory). I have found that at the
    Dos "prompt", you can enter the directory. In other words, you
    have "more range" at the Dos "prompt" than in Dos mode.

    Is there a way I can go beyond the long path limit (example:
    "WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM~1\....") so I can enter
    a directory at the end of a long path in Dos mode (Windows shut down)?

    Thanks in advance, Brad

    be sure there is no active key logger (spyware) in your PC.

    Brad, May 10, 2006

  2. Brad

    Robert Baer Guest

    Brad wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > In Dos mode (Windows shut down), I suspect the reason you can't enter a
    > directory that is at the end of a long path, is due to a limited amount of
    > space (that holds your location "path") in the "environment"
    > (memory used by Dos). As you try to "CD" (change directory),
    > you will receive an "Invalid Directory" message (normally seen when
    > you miss-spell the name of a directory). I have found that at the
    > Dos "prompt", you can enter the directory. In other words, you
    > have "more range" at the Dos "prompt" than in Dos mode.
    >
    > Is there a way I can go beyond the long path limit (example:
    > "WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM~1\....") so I can enter
    > a directory at the end of a long path in Dos mode (Windows shut down)?
    >
    > Thanks in advance, Brad
    >
    > Before you type your password, credit card number, etc.,
    > be sure there is no active key logger (spyware) in your PC.

    In DOS, the first line should start with:
    SET COMSPEC=C:\DOS\COMMAND.COM
    That givs a larger environment space for more (and longer) SET commands.
    A more direct way is to use
    SHELL==C:\DOS\COMMAND.COM /E:512
    where the /E sets the environment space.

    Perhaps that will help.

    Robert Baer, May 11, 2006