    ~IRO
    My ambition in Life is to build something that will
    REALLY last....at least until I've finished building it.

    IRO, Oct 9, 2004

  2. IRO

    SteveM Guest

    IRO <> wrote in
    news::

    > A friend lives at West Melton, just a km or so beyond the reach of
    > ADSL. He has a friend using it who would be happy to relay a radio
    > signal.
    >
    > Anyone local experimenting with WiFi 802.11b/g over longer distances
    > than the usual LAN?

    Easy-peasy. 1k is nothing using the right gear and as long as you have
    line of sight!

    I can get my AP from 6kms away with a 19 DB grid antenna.

    See: http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~sdmcc

    With an AP at the friends end using an external patch or grid antenna
    and another AP running in client or bridge mode with the same type of
    antenna, they should have no problem.

    Also see: http://www.nzwireless.org for a community wireless forum where
    similar questions have been asked.

    SteveM

    SteveM, Oct 9, 2004

  3. SteveM wrote:
    >>Anyone local experimenting with WiFi 802.11b/g over longer distances
    >>than the usual LAN?

    > Easy-peasy. 1k is nothing using the right gear and as long as you have
    > line of sight!
    > I can get my AP from 6kms away with a 19 DB grid antenna.
    > See: http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~sdmcc

    like steve says, long distance is fine as long as you have the gear.

    We've used two 29dB parabolics to go 27km LOS... not sure how far
    further you could go without some sort of finer tuning for pointing them
    in the right direction. We were using eye, cell and really bright
    spotlight to line them up.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 10, 2004