    the range of the network? Should I just use multiple routers and set them up
    as access points or does anyone know of a more simple solution? Any advice
    is welcome
    Londell, Feb 8, 2006

  2. On Tue, 7 Feb 2006 21:02:08 -0500, "Londell" <>
    wrote:

    >I know this question may have been asked already, but I am trying to exten
    >the range of a wireless netowrk. The situation is that a pc one one side of
    >the office building is the one with the the wired modem/router attched to
    >it. I would like to know what is the simplest way to get the wireless signal
    >from that pc to the other side of the building where the 2 other pc's that I
    >want to connect are. I know that I am going to need at least one wireless
    >router, but what I am curious to know is what is the simplest way to extend
    >the range of the network? Should I just use multiple routers and set them up
    >as access points or does anyone know of a more simple solution? Any advice
    >is welcome

    Well, just looking in here for the non-existant help for a problem I
    was having....

    After having bad experiences with several brands of routers and
    ethernet bridge solutions.... I would recommend getting the Buffalo
    High Power G Router and High Power 'Ethernet Converter' from Buffalo.
    These have great range, power, and flexibility. The manuals leave a
    lot to be desired, but the trouble to get it right is rewarded with
    tremendous speed and low [no] maintenance. They can be had for about
    $70 each[ including shipping] from Newegg.

    I had been thinking my setup on the computers was wrong, that my 15
    yrs with these boxes was wasted, etc. I changed a [POS] Motorola
    ethernet bridge for the Buffalo, and suddenly my problems were solved
    , and choirs of angels started singing!
    G Spot Tornado, Feb 8, 2006

  3. Hi

    Wireless Coverage depends heavily on the Specific Environment. In most
    cases, there is No Magic Hardware that can solve Distance issues.

    The best Method to Extend your Wireless would depend on the nature of your
    specific Environment.

    Look at these pages they describe most of the options that are within the
    means of Entry Level users, and choose the one that fits you environment
    best.

    Extending the Distance of Entry Level Wireless Network -
    http://www.ezlan.net/Distance.html

    Wirelessly Bridging Home/SOHO Network - http://www.ezlan.net/bridging.html

    I Gain Antenna for Entry Level Wireless - http://www.ezlan.net/antennae.html

    The most common solution used in a Professional Environment involves use of
    multiple units (Access Point) connected with wire to the Network. Or WDS
    http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Modes.html

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Feb 8, 2006