    Such as four conductor telephone wire? 12 ga. speaker wire?

    Any thoughts?

    Thanks, Cameron
    cam and flo, Jun 20, 2004

  2. cam and flo

    Brian Guest

    "cam and flo" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    news:...
    > How long could you go with extending a USB cable for a web-cam?
    >
    > I would like to put one on a tree, roof, tv tower, etc. What would happen

    if
    > I cut into an existing cable and spliced in 50 or 100 feet of "other"

    wire?

    http://computing.net/hardware/wwwboard/forum/26003.html
    Brian, Jun 20, 2004

  3. cam and flo

    Neil B Guest

    "cam and flo" <> wrote in message
    > How long could you go with extending a USB cable for a web-cam?
    >
    > I would like to put one on a tree, roof, tv tower, etc. What would happen

    if
    > I cut into an existing cable and spliced in 50 or 100 feet of "other"

    wire?
    > Such as four conductor telephone wire? 12 ga. speaker wire?
    >
    > Any thoughts?
    >
    > Thanks, Cameron

    My cam works fine no probs with a 15 metre run of quality 4core cable.

    Kind Regards
    Neil B - Redditch - www.nells.org.uk
    Live Life in the Fast Lane - www.blueyonder.co.uk
    Neil B, Jun 20, 2004
  4. cam and flo

    cam and flo Guest

    cam and flo, Jun 20, 2004
  5. cam and flo

    cj Guest

    With that far away, your going to not have a device working properly. You
    have a 10 foot maximum recommended for USB 1.1 and 16 for USB 2.0

    "cam and flo" <> wrote in message
    > Neil, Is that a specific usb cable or a home made cable or splice?
    >
    > Cameron
    >

    > > My cam works fine no probs with a 15 metre run of quality 4core cable.
    > >

    > > --
    > > --
    > > Kind Regards
    > > Neil B - Redditch - www.nells.org.uk
    > > Live Life in the Fast Lane - www.blueyonder.co.uk

    ---
    Scanned with AVG Antivirus
    cj, Jun 20, 2004
  6. cam and flo

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "cam and flo" <> wrote in message
    > > How long could you go with extending a USB cable for a web-cam?
    > >
    > > I would like to put one on a tree, roof, tv tower, etc. What would
    > > happen if I cut into an existing cable and spliced in 50 or 100
    > > feet of "other" wire? Such as four conductor telephone wire? 12 ga.
    > > speaker wire?
    > >
    > > Any thoughts?
    > >
    > > Thanks, Cameron

    I'd suggest staying with certified USB 2.0 cables, with powered hubs
    (repeaters) every 5 meters. (I hope your tree is near your window <g>) All
    the USB cables I've seen have been shielded. Phone wire/speaker wire
    probably wont' work. Impedance mismatch, signal loss, noise, cable
    capacitance, etc. all cause problems.

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~
    Toolman Tim, Jun 21, 2004
  7. cam and flo

    127.0.0.1 Guest

    "cam and flo" <> wrote in message
    > How long could you go with extending a USB cable for a web-cam?
    >
    > I would like to put one on a tree, roof, tv tower, etc. What would happen

    if
    > I cut into an existing cable and spliced in 50 or 100 feet of "other"

    wire?
    > Such as four conductor telephone wire? 12 ga. speaker wire?
    >
    > Any thoughts?
    >
    > Thanks, Cameron

    other options: wireless (G) web/video cams...

    other consideration: weather...

    -a|ex
    127.0.0.1, Jun 21, 2004
  8. cam and flo

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "127.0.0.1" <loopy@localhost> wrote in message
    > > "cam and flo" <> wrote in message
    > > > How long could you go with extending a USB cable for a web-cam?
    > > >
    > > > I would like to put one on a tree, roof, tv tower, etc. What
    > > > would happen if I cut into an existing cable and spliced in 50 or
    > > > 100 feet of "other" wire? Such as four conductor telephone wire?
    > > > 12 ga. speaker wire?
    > > >
    > > > Any thoughts?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks, Cameron

    > > other options: wireless (G) web/video cams...
    > >
    > > other consideration: weather...

    Ya just *had* to rain on his parade, didn't ya <g>

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~
    Toolman Tim, Jun 21, 2004
  9. cam and flo wrote:

    > How long could you go with extending a USB cable for a web-cam?

    IIRC, the USB spec says about 16 feet (5 meter) maximum total lenth.

    It's a serial cable, not a network.

    > I would like to put one on a tree, roof, tv tower, etc. What would happen if
    > I cut into an existing cable and spliced in 50 or 100 feet of "other" wire?
    > Such as four conductor telephone wire? 12 ga. speaker wire?

    I'd guess the results would be iffy.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    AOL Diary http://snipurl.com/aoldiary
    Blinky the Shark, Jun 21, 2004
  10. cam and flo

    Neil Guest

    to "cam and flo"
    it was a 4core cable, each line had a copper diameter of 1mm.

    To "cj"
    for your benefit, I am pasting part of my post again, just in case you
    missed it, re your comment about it not working.

    > > > My cam works fine no probs with a 15 metre run of quality 4core cable.

    Neil

    Neil, Jun 21, 2004
  11. cam and flo

    cam and flo Guest

    Thanks for all the help.

    Maybe a bit of experimenting might be in order!

    Cameron

    cam and flo, Jun 22, 2004