    Rest assured, the decision favoring the A610 is based on a fair amt. of
    reading and not totally a random occurrence.

    , Feb 9, 2006

  2. salgud Guest

    wrote:
    > Planning a 12-day cruise to Alaska in late May and need to make two
    > critical decisions?
    >
    > 1. Would the purchase of a Canon Powershot A610 make sense instead of
    > relying exclusively on my old (but reliable) 35mm EOS?
    >
    > 2. If answering YES, would it then make any sense to purchase a 2-year
    > extended warranty protection plan for $40?
    >
    > Rest assured, the decision favoring the A610 is based on a fair amt. of
    > reading and not totally a random occurrence.

    Bad decision! You should buy a camera I like instead.
    Just kidding! Anticipating some or the replies you'll probably get.
    As for the warranty, everything I've read says they're a bad deal.
    Obviously, they aren't selling you the extended warranty at a loss, so
    that means the average cost of a repair spread across all cameras sold
    is considerably less than $40 (accounting for the costs of
    administering the warranty and some fat profit), which means the odds
    that you'll have to pay more than $40 for repairs during the warranty
    period is slim. Consumer Reports says that if you bought extended
    warranties on every major purchase, you'd have paid for the few actual
    repairs you'd have many times over.
    That said, I have bought extended warranties on a few items, like my
    computer, when I had the money at the time and was concerned that I
    might not have the money for a major repair later on. You have to
    decide which is best for you. If $40 buys you a few nights better
    sleep, spend it!
    Before you take it, make sure you know the conditions of the warranty.
    I've seen some very unhappy folks who paid for an extended warranty and
    when they needed it, found that the fine print excluded the very
    situation they needed it for!
    Hope this helps in your world.

    salgud, Feb 9, 2006

  3. Dave Cohen Guest

    "salgud" <> wrote in message

    > wrote:
    >> Planning a 12-day cruise to Alaska in late May and need to make two
    >> critical decisions?
    >>
    >> 1. Would the purchase of a Canon Powershot A610 make sense instead of
    >> relying exclusively on my old (but reliable) 35mm EOS?
    >>
    >> 2. If answering YES, would it then make any sense to purchase a 2-year
    >> extended warranty protection plan for $40?
    >>
    >> Rest assured, the decision favoring the A610 is based on a fair amt. of
    >> reading and not totally a random occurrence.

    > Bad decision! You should buy a camera I like instead.
    > Just kidding! Anticipating some or the replies you'll probably get.
    > As for the warranty, everything I've read says they're a bad deal.
    > Obviously, they aren't selling you the extended warranty at a loss, so
    > that means the average cost of a repair spread across all cameras sold
    > is considerably less than $40 (accounting for the costs of
    > administering the warranty and some fat profit), which means the odds
    > that you'll have to pay more than $40 for repairs during the warranty
    > period is slim. Consumer Reports says that if you bought extended
    > warranties on every major purchase, you'd have paid for the few actual
    > repairs you'd have many times over.
    > That said, I have bought extended warranties on a few items, like my
    > computer, when I had the money at the time and was concerned that I
    > might not have the money for a major repair later on. You have to
    > decide which is best for you. If $40 buys you a few nights better
    > sleep, spend it!
    > Before you take it, make sure you know the conditions of the warranty.
    > I've seen some very unhappy folks who paid for an extended warranty and
    > when they needed it, found that the fine print excluded the very
    > situation they needed it for!
    > Hope this helps in your world.

    I normally do not purchase extended warranties. When I got my emachine from
    compusa, the sales guy (who was both very busy and very helpful) offered me
    the extended warranty. I declined, but then he said while he wasn't allowed
    to offer me a cash discount, he could give me the extended warranty for
    free. Naturally I took it. Some months later the machine refused to power up
    and they fixed it under that warranty. I still don't bother with extended
    warranties.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Feb 9, 2006
  4. Guest

    Similar to you, I decided to go for the extended warranty on my
    laptop and found it to be the best decision ever made. Others
    have echoed this particular exception to the general rule. So
    I thought I would float the same idea with re to digitals to see
    what the experience of others has been.

    Thanks for your input.

    I'm still in limbo re the practicality of adding a digital to what I
    have been using thus far -- the EOS 35 mm.

    , Feb 9, 2006
  5. wrote:
    > Similar to you, I decided to go for the extended warranty on my
    > laptop and found it to be the best decision ever made. Others
    > have echoed this particular exception to the general rule. So
    > I thought I would float the same idea with re to digitals to see
    > what the experience of others has been.
    >
    > Thanks for your input.
    >
    > I'm still in limbo re the practicality of adding a digital to what I
    > have been using thus far -- the EOS 35 mm.

    Digger,

    There is nothing stopping you adding a cordless drill, a mounted moose
    head or a jam donut to your EOS 35mm. The real question is whether you
    want a digital, with all it entails.

    Are you prepared to invest the time to learn about the software
    required to catalogue and manipulate your images? Having a digital is
    immensely liberating, in terms of the low cost-per-shot and immediate
    feedback, but its also requires quite a commitment to actually do
    something worthwhile with what you've captured.

    In my experience, I've had very little success carrying two different
    "media" cameras. I always end up with two half-albums. Better to commit
    to one, and focus on doing a good job of it.

    That said, I dumped my Canon Ftb some years ago, and am on my fourth
    digital. Never looked back!

    Good luck.

    /M
    p.s. If you decide on the digital, get it NOW, and practice, practice,
    practice

    Scarlet Pimpernel, Feb 10, 2006