    router. Could someone plese tell me what we need to purchase to "extend"
    our wireless network throughout the building? Thanks!
    Mommio2

    mommio2, Aug 26, 2009

  2. mommio2

    Jack-MVP Guest

    Hi
    The process involve installation of additional Wireless Access Points in key
    place connected together via cables to the main source.
    If laying cables is Not an option a WDS system has to be build.
    The general approach that I take for Coverage issues is the following.
    The best way is to lay few CAT6 cables to central locations in the house,
    install Access Points, or Cable/DSL Routers configured as an Access Points
    ( Using a Wireless Cable/DSL Router as a Switch with an Access Point -
    http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html ), and connect them to the Main Router.
    You do not want/can not/hate/your client hate to lay Cables.
    You start with One affordable Router that can Do WDS (the reason for the WDS
    support is in case you need to add more Wireless hardware).
    If you are lucky and your environment is conducive to get covered with one
    Wireless Router you are done.
    Routers that can do WDS as is are old by (Zyxel, SMC, Belkin, and some
    others have models that do WDS as is out of the Box (
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_Distribution_System ).
    Linksys WRT54GL, and Asus, 520GU can do WDS when flashed with DD-WRT
    firmware ( http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page ).
    Using a Laptop loaded with Netstumbler, do a Wireless survey in the house,
    http://www.netstumbler.com/downloads/
    According to the Netstumbler's signal strength reading, identify spots that
    have strong signal. and spot with weak, or No signal.
    Evaluate how you can cover the space and start placing WDS units.
    Additional Wireless Routers in WDS Mode (Wireless Network - Configuration
    Modes, http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Modes.html ) has to be placed in spots
    were the signal is good about Half way to the dead spots.
    How many WDS units are needed? It depends on your specific environment (that
    is a good the reason to buying WDS units one at the time, try it, and decide
    on the Next step).
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack-MVP, Aug 26, 2009

  3. mommio2