Extend range of Cisco Aironet 350 AP/Bridge

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by macgd016, Sep 8, 2010.

1. macgd016

macgd016

Hi, I'm new so please treat me gently!

I currently have a long range network using Cisco Aironet 350 AP/Bridges. The distance between two bridges with various users linking into the two bridges. The distance between the bridges is 1.5km but some of the links are as much as 2km. Most of the time the networks works fairly well and at all times all users have good signal strength and quality but sometimes the bandwidth drops to almost nil and these seems to be due to a high level of RX retry's. There is good line of sight across a valley and no trees. The 350's are European spec and only output 50mw.

A couple of questions:

Is there a way to reconfig the 350's to US spec and get 100mw.

Is it possible to use more than one antenna on each bridge, the reason I ask is that we currently use omni antenna because we have a number of widely angled users off each bridge and it might be possible to angle two Yagi antenna to get the right coverage.

On a similar theme I note that the antenna on the 350's can be configured for transmit L/R Receive L/R or Diversity, could we use two Omni antenna using one L and one R to get better through put and/or use two Yagi in Diversity mode.

All thoughts would be welcome.
    macgd016, Sep 8, 2010
    1. Advertising

2. macgd016

nicholette

Cisco 350 Bridge Kerfuffles

Hmmm well you mean you want to increase the ERP (Effective Radiated Power is a function of a many things like - Transmitter Power, Length of Cable, Quality of Cable, Gain of Antenna). So the best possible set-up would be running the 350 bridges at the max 100mW into 10cm of very low loss cable feeding a high gain dish antenna.

Haaaaa well don't ask why but I have been playing with my old cisco bridges for years now and taking one step at a time it is possible to 'flash' the units with the USA firmware.

Getting hold of it is something I have been trying to do for donkeys ages now, maybe I am not looking in the right places - I don't know.

Remember though as with any 'flash' attempt it can go horrible wrong and leave you with a useless box which once performed quite well although now is just an interesting paperweight or doorstop.

Now this should also be possible - If you have one 100mW bridge then download the firmware or software - dhooo whatever to another bridge. I think the insides are all the same. You really have to read a lot to find this out and i have not spent long enough doing that - maybe a Cisco engineer with a burning need to help 'end of life' equipment users would like to help?

If you do find a way to get that 100mW output then do let me know then I can put to rest something that has niggled me for a very long time.

(frustrated Cisco 350 50mW Bridge user)
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
    nicholette, Mar 30, 2011
    1. Advertising