Ext HD triggers new hardware, drivers not loaded

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by GettingOld, Feb 18, 2008.

  1. GettingOld

    GettingOld Guest

    I have had recent problems installing external hd's on Vista 64. I have
    run into problems with USB2.0 as well as eSATA. The drive will appear
    under the device manager under "disk drives". But it triggers the new
    harware wizard, which can't load a driver, which leads to an unknown device
    being listed. Even when the unknown device is listed the drive still
    appears under "disk drives". The drive wil appear under disk manager, but
    it is unaccesable. You can remove the partition but can not change the
    drive letters or format. Drive manager has a message asking to refresh or
    restart which has no effect.
    The drive works fine under XP. Xp recognizes the drive and loads it right
    up. I had the same exact problem with the usb drive. I went through all
    of the usbstor files solutions and deleted the infcache file and finally got
    the usb drive working. No such luck with the eSATA drive. I have tried
    to point the wizard to the windows32\drivers folder with no luck. I have
    tried to update the driver manually through the properties dialog box and it
    starts to update and then says an error occured and the drivers could not be
    loaded. What is the problem with Vista64. If XP does such a great job
    recognizing the drive why the problems with Vista.
    I will addd that I have a dual boot machine XP/Vista64, so it is not a
    hardware problem with the computer.

    Any advice?

    GettingOld, Feb 18, 2008

  2. By "eSATA" can I assume that you are using an external SATA enclosure and an
    I to I SATA cable to connect to an eSATA port on the back of the computer?
    In that configuration no driver is needed and the issues do not stem from
    needing a driver. Mobos that provide an external eSATA port also have SATA
    drivers in firmware. That doesn't mean that something isn't messed up for
    sure, but just installing a driver won't solve it.

    Quite a number of these issues are addressed in SP1. Do you have access to
    SP1 (MSDN or TechNet subscribers currently should have it)? It is not
    available yet for general public use but will be in a few weeks. SP1
    released to manufacturing a couple of weeks ago.

    If not, I suggest you check out the list of updates and hotfixes included in
    SP1 to see which ones may address your issues. It is a long and tedious
    list but there are links so you can download the individual packages.

    http://technet2.microsoft.com/windo...7038-4e82-a32c-4bc10ffe56ab1033.mspx?mfr=true

    As far as the usb issues are concerned, a lot of users have found help with

    Colin Barnhorst, Feb 18, 2008

  3. GettingOld

    John Barnes Guest

    In particular, the BIOS that is in the enclosure of older USB cases and some
    newer. SATA could be a problem if you are enclosing an IDE drive
    I have had several enclosures that wouldn't work with 64-bit (Vista or XP)
    that work with 32-bit.

    John Barnes, Feb 19, 2008
  4. GettingOld

    GettingOld Guest

    The board supports SATA II. The drive is connected straight to the board
    via the riser connector. I finally did get the drive to work in both usb
    and sata connection. There seems to be a problem with the plug and play
    manager. Up until a few weeks ago I had no problems with the usb ports.
    Now every time an external drive or flash card is plugged in, the system runs
    the new hardware wizard and says the driver can't be located. These are the
    same flash memory cards that ran flawlessly three weeks ago. I assume I
    either have some corrupted files or one of the windows updates really messed
    the system up.

    GettingOld, Feb 19, 2008