    I take it there is some form of usb conflict going on here but have no idea
    how to fix it.
    thanks

    Sean Smith, Jul 9, 2005

  2. Sean Smith

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Sean Smith" <> wrote in message
    news:42d006c9$0$12891$...
    > Hi ive just purchased an ext hard drive however when i plug it in via usb
    > my internet connection drops out. I have a usb wireless adapter
    > connecting me to the net. Any ideas how i can have both working in
    > harmoney. When i try to repair the connection a failed msg appears on
    > screen.
    > I take it there is some form of usb conflict going on here but have no
    > idea how to fix it.
    > thanks

    First, fix your clock. You're posting from the past.

    Second, are you using the power adapters for the modem and the external hard
    drive? My first guess is that the two devices are drawing more power than
    the internal bus can provide. If you have an external power adapter for the
    drive, you should be using that.

    Toolman Tim, Jul 9, 2005

  3. Sean Smith

    Sean Smith Guest

    not too sure what you mean about the clock it appears fine here.
    As for the drive it has its own power adapter which i use.
    thanks

    Sean Smith, Jul 9, 2005
  4. Sean Smith

    Toolman Tim Guest

    (top posting moved to bottom)
    "Sean Smith" <> wrote in message
    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Sean Smith" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hi ive just purchased an ext hard drive however when i plug it in via
    >>> usb my internet connection drops out. I have a usb wireless adapter
    >>> connecting me to the net. Any ideas how i can have both working in
    >>> harmoney. When i try to repair the connection a failed msg appears on
    >>> screen.
    >>> I take it there is some form of usb conflict going on here but have no
    >>> idea how to fix it.
    >>> thanks
    >>>

    >> First, fix your clock. You're posting from the past.
    >>
    >> Second, are you using the power adapters for the modem and the external
    >> hard drive? My first guess is that the two devices are drawing more power
    >> than the internal bus can provide. If you have an external power adapter
    >> for the drive, you should be using that.
    >>

    > not too sure what you mean about the clock it appears fine here.
    > As for the drive it has its own power adapter which i use.
    > thanks

    Yeah - clocks okay now, but your first post says you put it up at 5 in the
    morning your time. Possible, but it didn't show up on the newsgroup until a
    few hours later <g>

    I'm afraid I can't see why there would be that conflict then. It's usually a
    load problem when USB devices fail to stay connected. Do you have the option
    of using the CAT5 (ethernet) for your Internet connection? Most modems have
    both USB and CAT5. You would of course need a NIC (network interface card)
    in the PC.

    Toolman Tim, Jul 9, 2005
  5. "Sean Smith" <> wrote in

    > not too sure what you mean about the clock it appears fine here.
    > As for the drive it has its own power adapter which i use.
    > thanks
    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in
    > message news:tNTze.35731$...
    >>
    >> "Sean Smith" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hi ive just purchased an ext hard drive however when i plug it
    >>> in via usb my internet connection drops out. I have a usb
    >>> wireless adapter connecting me to the net. Any ideas how i can
    >>> have both working in harmoney. When i try to repair the
    >>> connection a failed msg appears on screen.
    >>> I take it there is some form of usb conflict going on here but
    >>> have no idea how to fix it.
    >>> thanks
    >>>

    >> First, fix your clock. You're posting from the past.
    >>
    >> Second, are you using the power adapters for the modem and the
    >> external hard drive? My first guess is that the two devices are
    >> drawing more power than the internal bus can provide. If you have
    >> an external power adapter for the drive, you should be using
    >> that.

    Were there any drivers/software supplied with the new hard drive?

    Ed

    --
    Freedom is never free....

    Top (retired), Jul 9, 2005
  6. Sean Smith

    Sean Smith Guest

    there was but the drive is plug and play so it says.

    Sean Smith, Jul 10, 2005
  7. "Sean Smith" <> wrote in news:42d0e53d$0$12880
    $:

    > there was but the drive is plug and play so it says.
    > "Top (retired)" <> wrote in message
    >> "Sean Smith" <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> not too sure what you mean about the clock it appears fine here.
    >>> As for the drive it has its own power adapter which i use.
    >>> thanks
    >>> "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in
    >>> message news:tNTze.35731$...

    have

    >> Were there any drivers/software supplied with the new hard drive?
    >>
    >> Ed
    >>
    >> --
    >> Freedom is never free....

    I would still install the software/drivers. Did you try the drive
    with no other USB devices connected? If it works as the only USB
    device connected I'd bet the software would help. Worth a try.

    Ed

    --
    Freedom is never free....

    Top (retired), Jul 10, 2005
  8. Sean Smith

    Toolman Tim Guest

    > "Sean Smith" <> wrote in news:42d0e53d$0$12880
    > $:
    >
    >> there was but the drive is plug and play so it says.
    >> "Top (retired)" <> wrote in message
    >>> "Sean Smith" <> wrote in

    > have
    >>>>>

    >>> Were there any drivers/software supplied with the new hard drive?
    >>>
    >>> Ed
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Freedom is never free....

    > I would still install the software/drivers. Did you try the drive
    > with no other USB devices connected? If it works as the only USB
    > device connected I'd bet the software would help. Worth a try.

    Drivers were probably included only for W9x users. All USB external drives
    I've used on XP systems have needed no drivers.

    Toolman Tim, Jul 10, 2005