Exposure values and light metering mode guidelines for beach

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Renee, Jun 24, 2004.

  1. Renee

    Renee Guest

    Hi all,

    Does anyone have some general guidelines for me to try when taking pictures
    at the beach? I imagine some photos will be of the landscape that includes
    sand and water, and others will be of people on the sand in the sun or in
    the shade under an umbrella.

    What exposures values, what light metering modes and what combinations of
    the two should I try for these scenerios?

    I won't be using any auxiliary equipment like filters, a hood or reflector,
    or an external light meter.

    I've used an inexpensive point-and-shoot camera at the beach in the past and
    wound up with blue tinted pictures, dark faces under umbrellas, washed out
    beach scenes and blown highlights of the sand. My pictures might all come
    just fine using the point-and-shoot automatic mode of my new camera, but I'd
    like to experiment with some of the advanced settings.

    I've been familiarizing myself with all the camera's settings, been taking
    lots of pictures, have my crib sheets from books I perused, and browsed the
    old dejanews posts. But I'd love to hear from some of you more experienced
    photographers.

    Thanks in advance for your comments,

    Renee

    Renee, Jun 24, 2004