Exporting Mail Messages

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Costanza, Jan 5, 2004.

  1. Costanza

    Costanza Guest

    Hello

    I am having problems exporting my mail messages and have tried what was
    suggested on the Microsoft help site but figured someone here may be better
    to ask than Microsoft.

    I have Microsoft Outlook Express 6 running with Internet Explorer 6.

    When I go to File/Export/Mail Messages I get the message pop up saying "this
    will export messages from Outlook Express to MS Outlook or MS Exchange" (not
    sure I have either of those anyway).

    I then get the error message "The export could not be performed. An error
    occurred while initialising MAPI".

    Having looked on the Microsoft help site I noticed that in
    Tools/Options/General tab I have the bit at the bottom headed 'Default
    Messaging Programs' it says "this application is NOT the default handler". I
    have then changed it so it is the default handler but cannot export messages
    still. When I close Outlook and go back in it has reverted to saying "this
    application is NOT the default handler".

    If anyone can help me out then that would be great as my hard drive is
    packing in and I have a new one on the way but need to get everything backed
    up first.

    Thanks again for any help
    Costanza, Jan 5, 2004

  2. Costanza

    Costanza Guest

    That bit at the bottom should have been that when i do make it the default
    handler and try and export again it then gives me the same error message and
    changes to NOT the default handler.

    Thanks

    Costanza, Jan 5, 2004

  3. Costanza

    ICee Guest

    Costanza wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > I am having problems exporting my mail messages and have tried what
    > was suggested on the Microsoft help site but figured someone here may
    > be better to ask than Microsoft.
    >
    > I have Microsoft Outlook Express 6 running with Internet Explorer 6.
    >
    > When I go to File/Export/Mail Messages I get the message pop up
    > saying "this will export messages from Outlook Express to MS Outlook
    > or MS Exchange" (not sure I have either of those anyway).
    >
    > I then get the error message "The export could not be performed. An
    > error occurred while initialising MAPI".
    >
    > Having looked on the Microsoft help site I noticed that in
    > Tools/Options/General tab I have the bit at the bottom headed 'Default
    > Messaging Programs' it says "this application is NOT the default
    > handler". I have then changed it so it is the default handler but
    > cannot export messages still. When I close Outlook and go back in it
    > has reverted to saying "this application is NOT the default handler".
    >
    > If anyone can help me out then that would be great as my hard drive is
    > packing in and I have a new one on the way but need to get everything
    > backed up first.
    >
    > Thanks again for any help

    Sounds like you want to back up your mail? In any case, this should
    help:
    ICee, Jan 5, 2004