Exporting an Act! database from Windows XP Pro to vista Premium

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Knowledge, Aug 26, 2007.

  1. Knowledge

    Knowledge Guest

    I have a large Act! by Sage 2006 database on one computer which uses
    Windows XP Pro SP2.

    I would like to export/backup to a CD, and then restore it to the same
    ACT program on another computer which is using vista Home Premium.

    How would this be done?

    TIA

    http://www.telebay.com/7777/packet8.html

    http://www.prepaidlegal.com/hub/cgb

    Don't buy "Beringer wines. They are using extremely lax quality
    control procedures. Their wine kind of reminds me of Chinese products.

    Knowledge, Aug 26, 2007

  2. Knowledge

    PeeCee Guest

    "Knowledge" <> wrote in message
    >I have a large Act! by Sage 2006 database on one computer which uses
    > Windows XP Pro SP2.
    >
    > I would like to export/backup to a CD, and then restore it to the same
    > ACT program on another computer which is using vista Home Premium.
    >
    > How would this be done?
    >
    > TIA
    >

    > http://www.telebay.com/7777/packet8.html
    >
    > http://www.prepaidlegal.com/hub/cgb
    >

    > Don't buy "Beringer wines. They are using extremely lax quality
    > control procedures. Their wine kind of reminds me of Chinese products.

    (respectfully)

    I take it you have looked up backup and restore in the programs
    documentation?
    Hint try the Help menu.

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Aug 27, 2007

  3. Knowledge

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 16:22:17 -0500, Knowledge wrote:

    >I have a large Act! by Sage 2006 database on one computer which uses
    >Windows XP Pro SP2.
    >
    >I would like to export/backup to a CD, and then restore it to the same
    >ACT program on another computer which is using vista Home Premium.
    >
    >How would this be done?

    RTFM, last time I used Act! before it was Sage and 1st time after IIRC
    there was a export / backup option.

    http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/09/06/HNsage_1.html
    Act Premium 2006 includes a number of new security and administration
    features, including support for silent installation, custom user
    permissions to control which users can modify and export database
    entries, and automated backup and synchronization options.

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Aug 27, 2007
  4. Knowledge

    Knowledge Guest

    On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 15:47:43 GMT, why?

    >On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 16:22:17 -0500, Knowledge wrote:
    >
    >>I have a large Act! by Sage 2006 database on one computer which uses
    >>Windows XP Pro SP2.
    >>
    >>I would like to export/backup to a CD, and then restore it to the same
    >>ACT program on another computer which is using vista Home Premium.
    >>
    >>How would this be done?

    >RTFM, last time I used Act! before it was Sage and 1st time after IIRC
    >there was a export / backup option.
    >
    >http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/09/06/HNsage_1.html
    >Act Premium 2006 includes a number of new security and administration
    >features, including support for silent installation, custom user
    >permissions to control which users can modify and export database
    >entries, and automated backup and synchronization options.
    >
    ><snip>
    >
    >Me

    Ok thanks.

    I tried exporting and importing, but it didn't work.

    Now I will try the complex, intricate method of backup and restore.

    If that doesn't work, I will take the computer back and get a reefer.

    Knowledge, Aug 27, 2007
  5. Knowledge

    Knowledge Guest

    The backup and restore failed!

    It said "Access denied" when I clicked "OK" for it to begin the
    restore.

    It has been sitting here for about fifteen minutes now saying
    "Preparing to restore" I think it has locked up though.

    I will let it go for another hour. If it hasn't done something by
    then, I will abort the process.

    Knowledge, Aug 27, 2007
  6. Knowledge

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 17:27:55 -0500, Knowledge wrote:

    >The backup and restore failed!
    >
    >It said "Access denied" when I clicked "OK" for it to begin the
    >restore.

    You will need to check the permissins for the restore location, do it to
    a test folder first :) as well as application permissions as the
    snippet from the article posted earlier.

    >It has been sitting here for about fifteen minutes now saying
    >"Preparing to restore" I think it has locked up though.
    >
    >I will let it go for another hour. If it hasn't done something by
    >then, I will abort the process.

    Nothing on Sage online support?

    why?, Aug 28, 2007
  7. Knowledge

    Knowledge Guest

    On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 15:57:53 GMT, why?

    >On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 17:27:55 -0500, Knowledge wrote:
    >
    >>The backup and restore failed!
    >>
    >>It said "Access denied" when I clicked "OK" for it to begin the
    >>restore.

    >You will need to check the permissins for the restore location, do it to
    >a test folder first :) as well as application permissions as the
    >snippet from the article posted earlier.

    Ok, I will create a new folder named "test" and back up to it. then I
    will attempt to restore from there.

    I will also see if I can find how the "C:\temp" folder is currently
    set permission wise.

    As far as I can tell, I sign in as "Administrator". So I should have
    100% rights to do what I need to do?

    Knowledge, Aug 28, 2007
  8. Knowledge

    Knowledge Guest

    On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 15:41:14 -0500, Knowledge <>
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 15:57:53 GMT, why?
    >

    >>On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 17:27:55 -0500, Knowledge wrote:
    >>
    >>>The backup and restore failed!
    >>>
    >>>It said "Access denied" when I clicked "OK" for it to begin the
    >>>restore.

    >>You will need to check the permissins for the restore location, do it to
    >>a test folder first :) as well as application permissions as the
    >>snippet from the article posted earlier.

    >Ok, I will create a new folder named "test" and back up to it. then I
    >will attempt to restore from there.
    >
    >I will also see if I can find how the "C:\temp" folder is currently
    >set permission wise.
    >
    >As far as I can tell, I sign in as "Administrator". So I should have
    >100% rights to do what I need to do?

    That didn't work either. So I guess I will just build a new contact
    database from sclatch!

    Knowledge, Aug 29, 2007
  9. Knowledge

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 18:43:48 -0500, Knowledge wrote:

    >On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 15:41:14 -0500, Knowledge <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 15:57:53 GMT, why?
    >><fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote:

    <snip>

    >>As far as I can tell, I sign in as "Administrator". So I should have
    >>100% rights to do what I need to do?

    >That didn't work either. So I guess I will just build a new contact
    >database from sclatch!

    You could try a local sage dealer, sage support see if you can get a
    little bit of free support, explaining you can't backup your data.

    Me

    why?, Aug 29, 2007