    Thanks.

    PS: my mother is 76 years old and is comfortable with OE, so changing
    email programs is not an option for her.

    The Cross Eyed Barber, Jul 30, 2006

  2. The Cross Eyed Barber

    Mike Easter Guest

    The Cross Eyed Barber wrote:

    > I recently purchased a new computer for my mother. In setting it up
    > for her, I wanted to copy her mail folders from her old (Win98SE)
    > computer to her new computer (WinXPsp2).

    So that means that the two computers are individually 'intact' with
    monitor, keyboard, & mouse? And adjacent to each other so that they
    could be managed with the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard?

    MS and many others have articles about that such as
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/getstarted/bott_fstw.mspx
    Moving Files and Settings to a New PC -- For instance, you can use the
    wizard to back up and restore e-mail messages, account settings, and the
    address book from Outlook Express.

    If you don't want to 'hook them up' -- you can use the wizard to load
    your memory stick and transfer them that way.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jul 30, 2006

  3. The Cross Eyed Barber

    Toolman Tim Guest

    The Cross Eyed Barber wrote:
    > I recently purchased a new computer for my mother. In setting it up
    > for her, I wanted to copy her mail folders from her old (Win98SE)
    > computer to her new computer (WinXPsp2).
    >
    > When I try to export the folders it tells me it cannot do so, error
    > starting MAPI.
    >
    > I copied the folders (*.dbx files) to a memory stick and tried to just
    > drop them into the correct directory on the new computer, but OE does
    > not recognize them.
    >
    > I'm sure there is a simple solution if someone can give me guidance.
    > Thanks.
    >
    > PS: my mother is 76 years old and is comfortable with OE, so changing
    > email programs is not an option for her.

    I know what THAT is like. I had to change my mom from Juno's free email to
    Yahoo email. Took her MONTHS to figure out how to work with it (even after I
    made several trips over and walked her through it step by step...)

    Since you already have the DBX files on your memory stick, IMPORT them using
    OE, File, Import, Messages, MS Outlook Express 6. Select "Import messages
    from a store directory", then follow the prompts from there.

    Toolman Tim, Jul 30, 2006