    running Exploror 7?

    Thanks,

    Dave

    Dave C., Mar 23, 2011

  2. Dave C.

    Kele Guest

    TABs! Once you use tabs, you won't like any browser without them.

    ------
    "Dave C." <> wrote:
    I am running Explorer 6. Is there any advantage in installing and
    running Exploror 7?

    Thanks,

    Dave

    Kele, Mar 23, 2011

  3. Dave C.

    Julie Bove Guest

    "Kele" <> wrote in message
    > TABs! Once you use tabs, you won't like any browser without them.

    Uck. I no likee the tabs.

    Julie Bove, Mar 23, 2011
  4. Dave C.

    Kele Guest

    Optional. I think tabs are popular... IE stole them from Firefox and IE
    "improved" or at least kept them with IE version 8.

    I think also the search is different (better) between IE version 6 & 7.

    -------------

    Kele, Mar 23, 2011
  5. Dave C.

    Julie Bove Guest

    "Kele" <> wrote in message
    > Optional. I think tabs are popular... IE stole them from Firefox and IE
    > "improved" or at least kept them with IE version 8.
    >
    > I think also the search is different (better) between IE version 6 & 7.

    I know they're popular but they confuse me.

    Julie Bove, Mar 23, 2011
  6. Dave C.

    TeeJay1952 Guest

    On 3/22/2011 11:21 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
    > "Kele"<> wrote in message
    >> Optional. I think tabs are popular... IE stole them from Firefox and IE
    >> "improved" or at least kept them with IE version 8.
    >>
    >> I think also the search is different (better) between IE version 6& 7.

    > I know they're popular but they confuse me.

    I use them to read the paper. I go down the opening (home page)
    section and select the stories that interest me to open a new tab. Then
    I go to far right tab and read and then close tab until I am back to
    original page. I then go to another paper and repeat.
    I also use combined selections (ie clothes shopping or electronic
    shopping) and open all tabs in a category. I enter what I am searching
    for in web pages find and copy & paste into all open web sites. I then
    peruse and choose best deal closing tabs that don't qualify.
    Tabs really are cool!
    Tee Jay

    TeeJay1952, Mar 23, 2011
  7. Dave C.

    Julie Bove Guest

    "TeeJay1952" <> wrote in message
    > On 3/22/2011 11:21 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
    >> "Kele"<> wrote in message
    >>> Optional. I think tabs are popular... IE stole them from Firefox and IE
    >>> "improved" or at least kept them with IE version 8.
    >>>
    >>> I think also the search is different (better) between IE version 6& 7.

    >> I know they're popular but they confuse me.
    >>

    > I use them to read the paper. I go down the opening (home page)
    > section and select the stories that interest me to open a new tab. Then I
    > go to far right tab and read and then close tab until I am back to
    > original page. I then go to another paper and repeat.
    > I also use combined selections (ie clothes shopping or electronic
    > shopping) and open all tabs in a category. I enter what I am searching for
    > in web pages find and copy & paste into all open web sites. I then peruse
    > and choose best deal closing tabs that don't qualify.
    > Tabs really are cool!
    > Tee Jay

    Read the paper? As in newspaper?

    Julie Bove, Mar 23, 2011
  8. "Julie Bove" <> wrote in message

    > "Kele" <> wrote in message
    >> Optional. I think tabs are popular... IE stole them from Firefox and IE
    >> "improved" or at least kept them with IE version 8.
    >>
    >> I think also the search is different (better) between IE version 6 & 7.

    > I know they're popular but they confuse me.

    Tabs are an improved method of viewing multiple Websites without opening
    multiple instances of IE. Under versions earlier than IE7, you must open a
    new instance of IE if you want to retain the current page AND also view
    another page, then select among the open instances of IE from the buttons on
    the Toolbar.

    With Tabbed Browsing, you can run a single instance of IE, then simply click
    on a tab to change to a new page and leave the original pages(s) open.

    Let's say, for example, you have three favorite Homepages -- Yahoo, Google,
    and Facebook. When IE starts, all of these pages open in a separate tab, and
    you can jump from one to the others by clicking the respective tab. You can
    also open a New Tab and input the desired address for it to display, and the
    original tabs all remain intact while the new tab goes to the address you
    entered. You can have as many "homepages" as you want, so you could have IE
    always open your assorted favorite pages, and access to them is only a
    single click away.

    Theh beauty of this is, you don't actually have to do anything.

    Jeff Strickland, Mar 24, 2011
  9. Dave C.

    Julie Bove Guest

    "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in message

    > "Julie Bove" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Kele" <> wrote in message
    >>> Optional. I think tabs are popular... IE stole them from Firefox and IE
    >>> "improved" or at least kept them with IE version 8.
    >>>
    >>> I think also the search is different (better) between IE version 6 & 7.

    >> I know they're popular but they confuse me.
    >>

    > Tabs are an improved method of viewing multiple Websites without opening
    > multiple instances of IE. Under versions earlier than IE7, you must open a
    > new instance of IE if you want to retain the current page AND also view
    > another page, then select among the open instances of IE from the buttons
    > on the Toolbar.

    Yep. I like the multiple windows!

    > With Tabbed Browsing, you can run a single instance of IE, then simply
    > click on a tab to change to a new page and leave the original pages(s)
    > open.

    This is what I don't like about them.

    > Let's say, for example, you have three favorite Homepages -- Yahoo,
    > Google, and Facebook. When IE starts, all of these pages open in a
    > separate tab, and you can jump from one to the others by clicking the
    > respective tab. You can also open a New Tab and input the desired address
    > for it to display, and the original tabs all remain intact while the new
    > tab goes to the address you entered. You can have as many "homepages" as
    > you want, so you could have IE always open your assorted favorite pages,
    > and access to them is only a single click away.
    >
    > Theh beauty of this is, you don't actually have to do anything.

    Actually you do. You have to find all the tabs and open or close them.
    This is what I don't like. I find new windows much easier to deal with.

    Julie Bove, Mar 25, 2011
  10. Dave C.

    Dave C. Guest

    On Mar 24, 8:26 pm, "Julie Bove" <> wrote:
    > "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in message

    > > "Julie Bove" <> wrote in message

    > >> "Kele" <> wrote in message

    > >> I know they're popular but they confuse me.

    > > Tabs are an improved method of viewing multiple Websites without opening
    > > multiple instances of IE. Under versions earlier than IE7, you must open a
    > > new instance of IE if you want to retain the current page AND also view
    > > another page, then select among the open instances of IE from the buttons
    > > on the Toolbar.

    > Yep.  I like the multiple windows!
    >
    > > With Tabbed Browsing, you can run a single instance of IE, then simply
    > > click on a tab to change to a new page and leave the original pages(s)
    > > open.

    > This is what I don't like about them.
    >
    > > Let's say, for example, you have three favorite Homepages -- Yahoo,
    > > Google, and Facebook. When IE starts, all of these pages open in a
    > > separate tab, and you can jump from one to the others by clicking the
    > > respective tab. You can also open a New Tab and input the desired address
    > > for it to display, and the original tabs all remain intact while the new
    > > tab goes to the address you entered. You can have as many "homepages" as
    > > you want, so you could have IE always open your assorted favorite pages,
    > > and access to them is only a single click away.

    > > Theh beauty of this is, you don't actually have to do anything.

    > Actually you do.  You have to find all the tabs and open or close them.
    > This is what I don't like.  I find new windows much easier to deal with..

    Thanks for all your ideas on this.

    Regards,

    Dave

    Dave C., Mar 25, 2011
  11. "Julie Bove" <> wrote in message

    > "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Julie Bove" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Kele" <> wrote in message

    >>> I know they're popular but they confuse me.
    >>>

    >> Tabs are an improved method of viewing multiple Websites without opening
    >> multiple instances of IE. Under versions earlier than IE7, you must open
    >> a new instance of IE if you want to retain the current page AND also view
    >> another page, then select among the open instances of IE from the buttons
    >> on the Toolbar.

    > Yep. I like the multiple windows!

    Multiple windows require extra system resources that tabs do not consume.

    >> With Tabbed Browsing, you can run a single instance of IE, then simply
    >> click on a tab to change to a new page and leave the original pages(s)
    >> open.
    >>

    > This is what I don't like about them.
    >
    >> Let's say, for example, you have three favorite Homepages -- Yahoo,
    >> Google, and Facebook. When IE starts, all of these pages open in a
    >> separate tab, and you can jump from one to the others by clicking the
    >> respective tab. You can also open a New Tab and input the desired address
    >> for it to display, and the original tabs all remain intact while the new
    >> tab goes to the address you entered. You can have as many "homepages" as
    >> you want, so you could have IE always open your assorted favorite pages,
    >> and access to them is only a single click away.
    >>
    >> Theh beauty of this is, you don't actually have to do anything.

    > Actually you do. You have to find all the tabs and open or close them.
    > This is what I don't like. I find new windows much easier to deal with.

    Find the tabs? They are displayed in plain view. You can close all tabs at
    once, or individually. Simply click the Red X on the tab where the cursor
    is. The next open tab is automatically displayed. And you can still open a
    new instance of IE if you prefer, so there is no reason to stick to IE6
    instead of IE7 or IE8.

    I was like you, I resisted tabbed browsing for a long time -- I completely
    skipped over IE7, and went directly to IE8 -- because I gave FireFox a whirl
    and did not like it at all. FireFox is a NetScape kind of experience, and
    within a few days of using it, I found one of the sites that I visit would
    not display for some reason. (I forget the reason, but there was an error
    message that the code was not written for Netscape, or something like that.)
    Anyhow, I was not impressed with Tabbed Browsing, one of the main reasons to
    move to FireFox, and with the refusal of one of my Favorites to display, I
    uninstalled FireFox and reverted to IE6.

    Now that I have adopted IE8, I use Tabbed Browsing extensively, and don't
    know how anybody can enjoy the Internet without it. To each his own, I
    suppose...

    Jeff Strickland, Mar 25, 2011
  12. "Dave C." <> wrote in message
    On Mar 24, 8:26 pm, "Julie Bove" <> wrote:
    > "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in message

    > > "Julie Bove" <> wrote in message

    > >> "Kele" <> wrote in message

    > >> I know they're popular but they confuse me.

    > > Tabs are an improved method of viewing multiple Websites without opening
    > > multiple instances of IE. Under versions earlier than IE7, you must open
    > > new instance of IE if you want to retain the current page AND also view
    > > another page, then select among the open instances of IE from the
    > > buttons
    > > on the Toolbar.

    > Yep. I like the multiple windows!
    >
    > > With Tabbed Browsing, you can run a single instance of IE, then simply
    > > click on a tab to change to a new page and leave the original pages(s)
    > > open.

    > This is what I don't like about them.
    >
    > > Let's say, for example, you have three favorite Homepages -- Yahoo,
    > > Google, and Facebook. When IE starts, all of these pages open in a
    > > separate tab, and you can jump from one to the others by clicking the
    > > respective tab. You can also open a New Tab and input the desired
    > > address
    > > for it to display, and the original tabs all remain intact while the new
    > > tab goes to the address you entered. You can have as many "homepages" as
    > > you want, so you could have IE always open your assorted favorite pages,
    > > and access to them is only a single click away.

    > > Theh beauty of this is, you don't actually have to do anything.

    > Actually you do. You have to find all the tabs and open or close them.
    > This is what I don't like. I find new windows much easier to deal with.

    Thanks for all your ideas on this.

    Regards,

    ===========================

    You may as well skip IE7 at this point, and install IE8.

    Jeff Strickland, Mar 25, 2011
  13. Dave C.

    UCLAN Guest

    Jeff Strickland wrote:

    > I was like you, I resisted tabbed browsing for a long time -- I completely
    > skipped over IE7, and went directly to IE8 -- because I gave FireFox a whirl
    > and did not like it at all. FireFox is a NetScape kind of experience, and
    > within a few days of using it, I found one of the sites that I visit would
    > not display for some reason. (I forget the reason, but there was an error
    > message that the code was not written for Netscape, or something like that.)
    > Anyhow, I was not impressed with Tabbed Browsing, one of the main reasons to
    > move to FireFox, and with the refusal of one of my Favorites to display, I
    > uninstalled FireFox and reverted to IE6.

    What site do you frequent that doesn't display with Firefox? I've been using
    Firefox for over three years, and have yet to encounter such a problem. Even
    the IE site opens fine with Firefox.

    UCLAN, Mar 25, 2011
  14. Dave C.

    UCLAN Guest

    Jeff Strickland wrote:

    > You may as well skip IE7 at this point, and install IE8.

    Or Firefox 4.

    UCLAN, Mar 25, 2011
  15. Dave C.

    Kele Guest

    IE8 works great on my faster PC with Win7, but my old PC with XP does not
    respond well to IE8. The "back" history with IE8 on XP is buggy
    (intermittently the history pull-down is grayed out), and generally IE8 bogs
    my old PC down. I do like IE8, but not on this computer. I'd say go for
    the 7 and get used to it before going to 8... strait to 8 might be a little
    too different than 6.

    --------------

    Kele, Mar 25, 2011
  16. Dave C.

    Kele Guest

    1) On the Win7 machine, I have both IE8 and FireFox4 without conflict. The
    Firefox with minimal add-ons to stay clean, fast, secure.

    2) Firefox & IE are neck & neck the most popular browsers. Since Firefox is
    now so popular, I viewed my own web pages with Firefox which showed that it
    was not displaying the embedded windows media files. It was necessary to
    reaccomplish the web page's media player HTML so that it could be used by
    both Firefox and IE... not real easy to find HTML for a universal player.
    The two browsers do handle web-pages differently, the big league web masters
    jump through hoops making their pages work with all the browsers. Note also
    that the Internet wasn't IE8 ready when that browser version came out... At
    first many webpages wouldn't open until the web masters made the necessary
    page corrections. There is an initiative to standardize web page handling
    across browsers... It's getting better.

    ---------

    Kele, Mar 25, 2011
  17. "Kele" <> wrote in message
    > IE8 works great on my faster PC with Win7, but my old PC with XP does not
    > respond well to IE8. The "back" history with IE8 on XP is buggy
    > (intermittently the history pull-down is grayed out), and generally IE8
    > bogs
    > my old PC down. I do like IE8, but not on this computer. I'd say go for
    > the 7 and get used to it before going to 8... strait to 8 might be a
    > little
    > too different than 6.

    I run XPPro, and most of my pages are filled in IE8 almost as fast as I can
    click. I can't imagine the scenario where IE7 would out perform IE8 on the
    same machine.

    Jeff Strickland, Mar 25, 2011
  18. "UCLAN" <> wrote in message
    > Jeff Strickland wrote:
    >
    >> I was like you, I resisted tabbed browsing for a long time -- I
    >> completely skipped over IE7, and went directly to IE8 -- because I gave
    >> FireFox a whirl and did not like it at all. FireFox is a NetScape kind of
    >> experience, and within a few days of using it, I found one of the sites
    >> that I visit would not display for some reason. (I forget the reason, but
    >> there was an error message that the code was not written for Netscape, or
    >> something like that.) Anyhow, I was not impressed with Tabbed Browsing,
    >> one of the main reasons to move to FireFox, and with the refusal of one
    >> of my Favorites to display, I uninstalled FireFox and reverted to IE6.

    > What site do you frequent that doesn't display with Firefox? I've been
    > using
    > Firefox for over three years, and have yet to encounter such a problem.
    > Even
    > the IE site opens fine with Firefox.

    Sorry, I can't remember. All I do remember is the error that the page is not
    designed for Netscape. I wasn't thrilled in the first place, and perhaps I
    just bailed on it because it wasn't worth my effort any longer.

    Jeff Strickland, Mar 25, 2011
  19. Dave C.

    Kele Guest

    386 MB RAM? I know what they say, IE8 is currently the fastest avail. It
    is slammin' fast on the Win7 laptop with decent guts.

    --------------

    Kele, Mar 26, 2011
  20. Dave C.

    > Find the tabs? They are displayed in plain view. You can close all tabs at
    > once, or individually. Simply click the Red X on the tab where the cursor
    > is. The next open tab is automatically displayed. And you can still open a
    > new instance of IE if you prefer, so there is no reason to stick to IE6
    > instead of IE7 or IE8.

    Not to me they're not. I have to keep hunting all over the page to find the
    place to close the tab or move to another tab or whatever.

    > I was like you, I resisted tabbed browsing for a long time -- I completely
    > skipped over IE7, and went directly to IE8 -- because I gave FireFox a
    > whirl and did not like it at all. FireFox is a NetScape kind of
    > experience, and within a few days of using it, I found one of the sites
    > that I visit would not display for some reason. (I forget the reason, but
    > there was an error message that the code was not written for Netscape, or
    > something like that.) Anyhow, I was not impressed with Tabbed Browsing,
    > one of the main reasons to move to FireFox, and with the refusal of one of
    > my Favorites to display, I uninstalled FireFox and reverted to IE6.

    Like you, I dislike Firefox.

    > Now that I have adopted IE8, I use Tabbed Browsing extensively, and don't
    > know how anybody can enjoy the Internet without it. To each his own, I
    > suppose...

    Yeah.

    Julie Bove, Mar 26, 2011