    Any help would be much, much appreciated!

    Thanks,
    Natalie
    =?Utf-8?B?UGlhbm9OYXQ=?=, Apr 14, 2007

  2. Hi
    What ever it said in the proeprties sounds good. I.e there is another
    problem somewhere some how.
    May be this can Help.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Apr 14, 2007

  3. Maybe that f/w problem, just a hint.
    BTW , can you ping your AP ( router ) ?
    Arkady

    Arkady Frenkel, Apr 16, 2007
  4. =?Utf-8?B?UGlhbm9OYXQ=?=

    Barb Bowman Guest

    this sounds like you are connected to someone else's insecure
    network. if you are using a wired Ethernet connection, you could
    disable the wireless or change settings (remove the network named
    default and then uncheck automatically connect to no preferred
    networks).

    if you have your own wireless router, change the name from default
    to something else. then configure your security. then configure your
    connection.

    if you can explain your situation a little more, it would help.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP
    Barb Bowman, Apr 16, 2007
  5. Hi,
    Sorry I was a bit vague.
    I'm trying to pick up the connection from two places (not my home router):
    at work and at a friend's house. I'd also like to be able to pick up a
    connection from coffee shops, etc.
    Do I need to configure settings differently for each place I'm trying to
    connect?
    Thanks so much,
    Natalie

    =?Utf-8?B?UGlhbm9OYXQ=?=, Apr 19, 2007
  6. =?Utf-8?B?UGlhbm9OYXQ=?=

    Barb Bowman Guest

    do you see a little connectoid in the system tray showing available
    wireless networks? you need to connect to a network and then
    configure. what version of Windows?

    at work, ask your IT person or admin to assist you with security and
    permissions

    at your friends house, ask for the passphrase needed for security

    at coffee shops, reboot, connect to wireless and try going to
    yahoo.com or similar which should bring up a login page or gateway
    page, etc.

    Barb Bowman, Apr 19, 2007
  7. Hi,
    Yes, I see all the available wireless networks. I am able to "connect" to
    the networks at work and my friend's house with strong connections (at least
    that's what it says.) However, I'm not able to actually get online.
    Both the networks I wish to connect to are "unsecured". Doesn't that mean I
    shouldn't have to do any special configurations to connect?
    Thanks for your help,
    Natalie

    =?Utf-8?B?UGlhbm9OYXQ=?=, Apr 19, 2007
  8. Hi,
    I think I'm getting somewhere. Now I'm receiving the following message:
    "Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action
    cannot be completed:
    Renewing your IP address
    For assistance, contact the person who manages your network."

    Does this help?

    =?Utf-8?B?UGlhbm9OYXQ=?=, Apr 19, 2007
  9. =?Utf-8?B?UGlhbm9OYXQ=?=

    Barb Bowman Guest

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233 *may* be the reason you are
    seeing this message if you are running Vista. However, you didn't
    answer the question as to what version of Windows you are running.

    In any case, cann you run a cmd prompt (elevated if Vista) and type

    ipconfig /all [enter]

    copy the results to the clipboard and paste it all in here

    Barb Bowman, Apr 20, 2007