    online?
    TIA
    Big Daddy Skye

    BigDaddyDragon, Nov 1, 2005

  2. BigDaddyDragon

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 00:15:15 -0600, BigDaddyDragon
    <> wrote:

    >Hi I am Skye and I am Noob.........Ok now with the question. I reisisted
    >moving away from IE due to, quite simply, I am used to it. But lately
    >alternative browsers have piqued my interest. What diffrences should I
    >expect (major or minor). Is a change going to be dependent on what you do
    >online?

    This group is more concerned with security than the merits of software
    although Firefox has a number of security advantages over IE

    Its free, get it and try it yourself and see if you like it
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Nov 1, 2005

  3. On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 00:15:15 -0600, BigDaddyDragon
    <> wrote:

    >Hi I am Skye and I am Noob.........Ok now with the question. I reisisted
    >moving away from IE due to, quite simply, I am used to it. But lately
    >alternative browsers have piqued my interest. What diffrences should I
    >expect (major or minor). Is a change going to be dependent on what you do
    >online?
    > TIA
    > Big Daddy Skye

    I wouldn't worry about it. There are plenty of add-ons available for
    Firefox which allow you to work in tandem with IE.
    For example, there's an option in Firefox to 'open this page in IE' -
    so if a site seems to fail in Firefox you can just click a menu item
    and the page will open in IE.

    I'd thoroughly recommend using the 'Plain old favorites' ( sic )
    extension, which duplicates IE's more functional favourites list in
    Firefox.

    The biggest difference I've noticed is the speed ( or rather the lack
    of it ) with which Firefox opens...but there's even an add-on
    available that pre-loads the preliminary code to make loading swifter.

    One handy tip is to change the default icon used in the task bar,
    which makes for an easier life when both browsers are in use (
    otherwise both will use the standard IE icon ).

    http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/tips#app_icon

    Just try it, see how you get along. That's what I did, and now I use
    Firefox almost exclusively.

    Regards,

    www.shwoodwind.co.uk

    Stephen Howard, Nov 1, 2005
  4. BigDaddyDragon

    nemo_outis Guest

    BigDaddyDragon <> wrote in

    > Hi I am Skye and I am Noob.........Ok now with the question. I
    > reisisted moving away from IE due to, quite simply, I am used to it.
    > But lately alternative browsers have piqued my interest. What
    > diffrences should I expect (major or minor). Is a change going to be
    > dependent on what you do online?
    > TIA
    > Big Daddy Skye

    Firefox is superior to IE in most ways, including security. There are very
    few sites with "presentation" issues (i.e., which look "funny"). About the
    only things that very rarely cause problems are Activex controls (because
    they are a proprietary technology - they are also a gigantic security risk
    BTW). As another poster pointed out, a Firefox extension (ieview) allows
    you to seamlessly open any such pages in IE.

    Regards,

    nemo_outis, Nov 1, 2005
  5. BigDaddyDragon

    Steve Welsh Guest

    BigDaddyDragon wrote:
    > Hi I am Skye and I am Noob.........Ok now with the question. I reisisted
    > moving away from IE due to, quite simply, I am used to it. But lately
    > alternative browsers have piqued my interest. What diffrences should I
    > expect (major or minor). Is a change going to be dependent on what you do
    > online?
    > TIA
    > Big Daddy Skye

    Yes, I agree with other posters - Firefox does load more slowly, but we
    know why that is already, because M$ cheats and has most of the code for
    Internet Exploder already in memory when you launch it.

    They also didn't seem to mention (might have missed it), the single
    killer app advantage of Firefox - tabbed browsing.

    Hold the Control key down, when you follow a link - it will appear in a
    new tab in the same browser window.

    Steve

    Steve Welsh, Nov 1, 2005
  6. BigDaddyDragon

    Harri Mellin Guest

    In article <>,
    Steve Welsh <> wrote:

    > BigDaddyDragon wrote:
    > > Hi I am Skye and I am Noob.........Ok now with the question. I reisisted
    > > moving away from IE due to, quite simply, I am used to it. But lately
    > > alternative browsers have piqued my interest. What diffrences should I
    > > expect (major or minor). Is a change going to be dependent on what you do
    > > online?
    > > TIA
    > > Big Daddy Skye

    > Yes, I agree with other posters - Firefox does load more slowly, but we
    > know why that is already, because M$ cheats and has most of the code for
    > Internet Exploder already in memory when you launch it.
    >
    > They also didn't seem to mention (might have missed it), the single
    > killer app advantage of Firefox - tabbed browsing.
    >
    > Hold the Control key down, when you follow a link - it will appear in a
    > new tab in the same browser window.
    >
    > Steve

    don't forget that FF can be tweaked to load faster and load pictures
    like IE

    Swedish Webcams <http://www.webcams.zap.to>

    Harri Mellin, Nov 2, 2005
  7. BigDaddyDragon

    Winged Guest

    nemo_outis wrote:
    > BigDaddyDragon <> wrote in
    >

    >>Hi I am Skye and I am Noob.........Ok now with the question. I
    >>reisisted moving away from IE due to, quite simply, I am used to it.
    >>But lately alternative browsers have piqued my interest. What
    >>diffrences should I expect (major or minor). Is a change going to be
    >>dependent on what you do online?
    >> TIA
    >> Big Daddy Skye

    > Firefox is superior to IE in most ways, including security. There are very
    > few sites with "presentation" issues (i.e., which look "funny"). About the
    > only things that very rarely cause problems are Activex controls (because
    > they are a proprietary technology - they are also a gigantic security risk
    > BTW). As another poster pointed out, a Firefox extension (ieview) allows
    > you to seamlessly open any such pages in IE.
    >
    > Regards,

    One word of warning on Firefox. While I concur with Nemo on Firefox
    assessment, resist the lure of many of the plug-ins. The more outside
    crap you add, the higher potential of compromise. While some add-ons
    seem cool, some of them degrade the security of the browser. Use
    add-ons with caution and care.

    Winged

    Winged, Nov 2, 2005
  8. BigDaddyDragon

    Winged Guest

    Steve Welsh wrote:
    > BigDaddyDragon wrote:
    >
    >>Hi I am Skye and I am Noob.........Ok now with the question. I reisisted
    >>moving away from IE due to, quite simply, I am used to it. But lately
    >>alternative browsers have piqued my interest. What diffrences should I
    >>expect (major or minor). Is a change going to be dependent on what you do
    >>online?
    >> TIA
    >> Big Daddy Skye

    > Yes, I agree with other posters - Firefox does load more slowly, but we
    > know why that is already, because M$ cheats and has most of the code for
    > Internet Exploder already in memory when you launch it.
    >
    > They also didn't seem to mention (might have missed it), the single
    > killer app advantage of Firefox - tabbed browsing.
    >
    > Hold the Control key down, when you follow a link - it will appear in a
    > new tab in the same browser window.
    >
    > Steve

    tabs? Tabs have been available in IE for some time in IE via Avant
    browser. It is the lack of ActiveX, .Net and similar capabilities I prefer.

    Winged

    Winged, Nov 2, 2005
  9. "Winged" <> wrote in message
    > Steve Welsh wrote:

    [snip]
    > It is the lack of ActiveX, .Net and similar capabilities I prefer.

    Don't forget Outlook Web Access in only displayed decently in IE. Firefox it
    loads, but I don't have the full set of features.

    - Joris

    Joris Dobbelsteen, Nov 2, 2005
  10. BigDaddyDragon

    Management Guest

    BigDaddyDragon wrote:
    > Hi I am Skye and I am Noob.........Ok now with the question. I reisisted
    > moving away from IE due to, quite simply, I am used to it. But lately
    > alternative browsers have piqued my interest. What diffrences should I
    > expect (major or minor). Is a change going to be dependent on what you do
    > online?
    > TIA
    > Big Daddy Skye

    I'm a long term user of Firefox and it's predecessors and use it for
    all the reasons stated. I agree about the plugins, keep them limited
    to what you will actually use.

    There is only one good reason to fire up IE and that it is to use
    Windows Update!

    Anyway it is not an either/or situation, install Firefox and give it
    a whirl.

    Charlie.

    --
    Broadcasting to the environs
    www.radiowymsey.org

    Management, Nov 2, 2005
  11. "BigDaddyDragon" <> wrote in message
    > Hi I am Skye and I am Noob.........Ok now with the question. I reisisted
    > moving away from IE due to, quite simply, I am used to it. But lately
    > alternative browsers have piqued my interest. What diffrences should I
    > expect (major or minor). Is a change going to be dependent on what you do
    > online?

    Not bad, and gradually getting better.

    Opera is also worth a look, although many of the former "uniques" have been
    copied by the FF developers.

    In both cases, expect a specific subset of sites to fail (very often online
    banking, etc.). Some just look "funny", but don't lose functionality.

    A lot depends upon how much effort the webmaster puts into a site (both in
    terms of complexity and testing). Many sites that don't specifically
    "approve" FF will still happily work - and this is likely to get better
    still, at least here in the UK (DDA requirements).

    --

    Hairy One Kenobi

    in the first place. So there!

    Hairy One Kenobi, Nov 5, 2005
  12. BigDaddyDragon

    <> wrote:

    >Hi I am Skye and I am Noob.........Ok now with the question. I reisisted
    >moving away from IE due to, quite simply, I am used to it. But lately
    >alternative browsers have piqued my interest. What diffrences should I
    >expect (major or minor). Is a change going to be dependent on what you do
    >online?
    > TIA
    > Big Daddy Skye

    I've tried IE, FF, and opera (which is free now). IE seems to be the
    worst for whatever reasons. I think I like Opera better than Firefox.
    But the differences are minor.

    **, Nov 7, 2005